VOGONS

Reply 581 of 741, by Rencer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can someone tell me how to use it in Linux with DOSBox? I downloaded and installed the trial version and followed this tutorial:
https://l9000.net/wiki/Sound_Canvas_VA_and_DO … Box_under_Linux

But it doesn't realy work, games in Dosbox don't produce any sound, music at all.
All the DOS games that I play are alredy set up correctly; every game set up to use General MIDI or Roland cards and they works fine.
They all works with MUNT or with any kind of software-synthesizer or with my Audigy 4's wavetable.

In the program, when I click on the "TEST" button, It gives sound, so it seems it's works. But it still never produce any sound in Dosbox.
I can't figure it out what and where I have to chnage to make it works. I tried changeing all the settings to a different one what the tutorial mention, but no luck.

Reply 582 of 741, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Rencer wrote on 2020-01-06, 17:41:

Can someone tell me how to use it in Linux with DOSBox? I downloaded and installed the trial version and followed this tutorial:

I'm using Falcosoft Midi Player instead of savihost and it works fine for me on Linux.

Reply 583 of 741, by Rencer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
realnc wrote on 2020-01-06, 20:36:
Rencer wrote on 2020-01-06, 17:41:

I'm using Falcosoft Midi Player instead of savihost and it works fine for me on Linux.

Thanks, I tried that out. But it doesn't really worked for me.
I followed the viedo tutorial by PhilsComputerLab: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WumRboSfn90
Zoltán's MIDI player is just pure awesomeness, it works perfectly with the Roland Sound Canvas VA.
The problem is that loopMIDI doesn't work. It just keep poping up an error.
This is the screenshot of that exact same errort tha I get: http://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/695x471q90/922/GkiMdy.png

Can you tell me exactly what and how you done, to get it work?

What I really like (if it can be done); is to be able to use the Roland Sound Canvas VA, in native Linux and not using Wine.

My concerns:

• It doesn't really make any sense, that I have to use Wine to run DOSBox.
  • I like to use it for other purposes too, not just for playing old DOS games.

Reply 584 of 741, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You don't need "loopmidi" (whatever that is). You just load SCVA in MIDI Player. Then configure Midi Player to use "MIDI Through Port-0":

S7zqCaL.png

If you run " aconnect -l" in a terminal, you should then see something like:

$ aconnect -l
client 0: 'System' [type=kernel]
0 'Timer '
1 'Announce '
client 14: 'Midi Through' [type=kernel]
0 'Midi Through Port-0'
Connecting To: 128:1
client 24: 'Virtual Raw MIDI 2-0' [type=kernel,card=2]
0 'VirMIDI 2-0 '
client 25: 'Virtual Raw MIDI 2-1' [type=kernel,card=2]
0 'VirMIDI 2-1 '
client 26: 'Virtual Raw MIDI 2-2' [type=kernel,card=2]
0 'VirMIDI 2-2 '
client 27: 'Virtual Raw MIDI 2-3' [type=kernel,card=2]
0 'VirMIDI 2-3 '
client 128: 'WINE midi driver' [type=user,pid=72670]
0 'WINE ALSA Output'
1 'WINE ALSA Input '
Connected From: 14:0

Just set DOSBox to use 14:0 and it should work:

[midi]
mpu401 = intelligent
mididevice = alsa
midiconfig = 14:0

Reply 585 of 741, by Rencer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, realnc.

That picture of your settings helped me to solve the problem!
At the BassMidi settings (Bass VSTi for you) the default output was "Directsound" and that is why I can't get sounds out from the MIDI player.
I changed it to WASAPI and now it works. Thank you.

Here is a screenshot with the default settings:

Attachments

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-09-03, 07:33. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 587 of 741, by Rencer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2020-01-08, 20:19:

It works fine on win7 with loopmidi to create a virtual input port. Lot's of people use it that way.

I'm on Linux. And it turned out Linux users doesn't need loopMIDI, with just the Falcosoft Midi Player, DOSBox can use SC-VA as the "soundcard". Well, if you know how to set up Falcosoft Midi Player correctly. 😁

Reply 588 of 741, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This thread was in my moderation queue but slipped through the cracks in the weeks leading up to quarantine. Very sorry about that, folks. Thread's been unlocked.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 589 of 741, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Email from Roland today:

-------------------------
You are receiving this email because you have one or more of the following software licenses from the Roland Content Store:

- SYSTEM-1 Software Synthesizer (PG-SYSTEM1)
- SYSTEM-100 PLUG-OUT Software Synthesizer (PG-SYS100)
- SH-101 PLUG-OUT Software Synthesizer (PG-SH101)
- SH-2 PLUG-OUT Software Synthesizer (PG-SH2)
- PROMARS PLUG-OUT Software Synthesizer (PG-PRMRS)
- SOUND Canvas VA (SC-VA)
- R-MIX for Windows

With the Roland Content Store closing permanently, all of your software licenses are now available as Lifetime Key entitlements on Roland Cloud. Enjoy free access to your software by downloading Roland Cloud Manager and creating a Roland Account* with the same email address used for your previous Roland Content Store access.

Please update your Roland Content Store software before October 19, 2020.

Reply 591 of 741, by Crimson_Zero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Farewell 32 bit Sound Canvas VA. I enjoyed the experience.

I assume/hope existing installs of the Roland Content store version will continue to work, but i doubt I'll be able to install a new copy if they disable the authorization server.

Oh and in case anyone is wondering, installing the SoundCloud version (64 bit only) will install into "C:\Program Files\Vstplugins\Roland\Sound Canvas VA" in Windows 10. Changing the internal installation path setting didn't do a thing on my computer.

Reply 594 of 741, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They're 2 different synths, albeit connected by the same LA synth engine.

See this thread for a good discussion:
http://forum.vintagesynth.com/viewtopic.php?t=54878

Reply 596 of 741, by mauler57

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Guys,

I am not sure if anyone else has had this issue I purchased a lifetime key for sound canvas va in Roland cloud manager. It says installed but there are no applications on my pc and no way to open/use the application. Has anyone else had this or have any tips?I have emailed their support but I have heard nothing from them.

Reply 597 of 741, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mauler57 wrote on 2020-12-14, 02:48:

Hi Guys,

I am not sure if anyone else has had this issue I purchased a lifetime key for sound canvas va in Roland cloud manager. It says installed but there are no applications on my pc and no way to open/use the application. Has anyone else had this or have any tips?I have emailed their support but I have heard nothing from them.

It's not an application. It's a VST plugin. It will show up as a plugin in applications that support VST. Like Falcosoft Midi Player (FMP.) If you're on Windows, you load the VST in FPM, and then connect the MIDI port with a "virtual midi cable" tool like LoopMidi. There's a tutorial here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WumRboSfn90

Note that this tutorial uses SAVIHost instead of FMP, but it will work the same way in FPM. I recommend FPM instead of SAVIHost because you can enable "Capital Tone Fallback" in FPM which is needed in some rare instances.

Reply 598 of 741, by Crimson_Zero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mauler57 wrote on 2020-12-14, 02:48:

As realnc posted, you need to use an application to run it and Falcosoft Midi Player is excellent. The video that is in the above post will walk you through the initial steps properly.

Just remember that with the Roland Cloud Manager version and Windows 10, the plugin is installed in "C:\Program Files\Vstplugins\Roland\Sound Canvas VA"

Additionally, if you want more information on setting up Falcosoft Midi Player then another video by Phil's Computer Lab goes over it.
https://youtu.be/vSk9S1bkRS8?t=503 The setup information starts at about 8:23. One change you'll have to make is that in the "Midi Player Device Settings" the "Input Port" will have to be set to whatever your created LoopMIDI port is.

I personally also like installing Coolsoft MIDI Mapper so that I can set the created LoopMIDI port to be Windows default device. As this will generally make configuring games that use MIDI simpler in the long run. Especially with DOSBox.
https://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/midimapper

Reply 599 of 741, by mauler57

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
James-F wrote on 2015-12-28, 13:36:
Well folks, Phil is in AWE. All the proof I need. Vogons comunity will be very greatful for a tutorial video! From what I've see […]
Show full quote
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

I have to play around a bit more. Currently I'm in AWE at the sound this thing generates 😊

This deserves a video tutorial I think 😀

EDIT: In Privateer, the SC-88 Pro mode appears to sound more "epic". I can certainly change the mode, reset it, that seems to work fine.

Well folks, Phil is in AWE. All the proof I need.
Vogons comunity will be very greatful for a tutorial video!
From what I've seen till now, you'll definitely be comparing SC-VA to the real SC-55. 😉

Thank you guys you are legends that worked a treat ! 😀