VOGONS

Reply 40 of 49, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote on 2020-01-09, 14:34:

Even if it was which I doubt is the code it uses open source? The virtualization products have never had good sound quality, features or compatibily compared to emulators mostly due to that's not what those products are intended for.

I agree with you, but VMware Fusion getting SB16 emulation is not only for games, but also for music (I know some people who still use very old music apps and needed it).

But I agree they aren't and shouldn't be intended for gaming purposes - DOSBox is better at this, but does not have wifi networking functionalities, hence why I use VMware.

I'm deaf, and I use a cochlear implant in my right ear since around 2007-2008. If the recently-added SB16 on Fusion can play it better than DOSBox or not, I can't tell the difference. Hence why I am asking it...

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 41 of 49, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote on 2020-01-09, 14:54:

although It can be implemented in integer with a LUT for the sinc function.

This is exactly what Qbix is trying to do,, WinFilter can export C or VHDL code.
If everything goes smoothly, DOSBox will have awesome SB16 filtering emulation.

Attachments

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 42 of 49, by dreamer_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
James-F wrote on 2020-01-09, 15:38:

Is lack of perfect filtering emulation a root cause for clicking sound when using anything other than SB1? Or does the real hardware behave the same and the existing emulation is actually correct?

I think this problem was mentioned on forum already, but it was definitely reported as a bug: https://sourceforge.net/p/dosbox/bugs/510/

| ← Ceci n'est pas une pipe
dosbox-staging

Reply 43 of 49, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
James-F wrote on 2020-01-09, 15:38:

This is exactly what Qbix is trying to do,, WinFilter can export C or VHDL code.

I haven't worked with WinFilter, although the excess ringing and overshoot on the knee looks a lot more like a truncated sinc function without an optimized window. Windowed sinc also provides a parameterized transition band, so you can make a more gentle or steep transition depending on sound preference or accuracy needs. I've done similar data filtering (not on audio) by tapering the Fourier series before transforming back to the spatial set, but windowed sinc looks like a more shake-and-bake way of doing it. I'm just not sure if the performance budget is sufficient for this amount of processing. However, sinc also looks like it's fairly trivial to vectorize, so there are probably avenues to take for squeezing out enough cycles.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 47 of 49, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I mean, it's something that should to me be fairly obviously implemented without the need for any further discussion, but given the lack of response here, maybe James-F should talk to DOSBox-X or other branches to get it working correctly. I moved over to X years back and only use "vanilla" for games that need it.

Reply 49 of 49, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2022-04-15, 14:05:

At this point it's a priority for only you and me I'd guess 🤣

It is also important for me. 😁

PCem implemented it and it's not a bad idea to talk with DOSBox-X's developer due to similar focus in accuracy.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS