Common searches

New forum suggestions/Feedback

Topic actions

Reply 240 of 516, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Weird now it looks like the first time I tested against your page and its set to value 5 which seems to have minimal flickering. I can still see flickering but its pretty minimal. Not sure how that will change with bright text and alternating colors on the screen too, I have local dimming on my screen and that could be amplifying the issue...I could test without it but that's not a permanent solution , I'm not gonna run my monitor with bells and whistles turned off for a single forum, I'll just deal with the flickering.

Reply 241 of 516, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

patterns 5,7 and 8 slightly flicker with normal and and patterns 5 and 8 with oldschool for me. (when scrolling up and down)
I tested 1-10.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 243 of 516, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It would be nice if all the buttons (page navigation, Creative Commons button, Report button, Quote button, Return to Top button, Your Posts, New Posts, Active Topics etc. etc.)... were rectangular instead of rounded. Also replace the Login button with something other than a Power symbol.

The Old Skool theme is missing multiple shades of purple, resulting in a incredibly flat appearance that is hard to concentrate on unlike the new default theme.

Lastly, is there any way to get a toolbar on this Quick Reply box with all the formatting buttons?

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 244 of 516, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

The quick reply is just a quick reply on purpose. If you want bells and whistles use the full reply button.

The round buttons will probably stay, as it would require a lot of work to change all the buttons again. No one else objected to the roundness before.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 245 of 516, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

well then let me say that I don't like the round buttons either :p

I just didn't object to them because there are so many other issues that were more important to me before getting into aesthetic details.

Reply 246 of 516, by 7F20

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
franpa wrote on 2020-01-13, 09:06:

Also replace the Login button with something other than a Power symbol.

The power symbol is web 2.0 / 2003 in very dated way. I think the new norm is a box with an arrow going in or out of it from the side to indicate in/out.

Reply 247 of 516, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Makes my eyesight happier than a Junebug at a porch light sale..

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 248 of 516, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
7F20 wrote on 2020-01-13, 15:25:

The power symbol is web 2.0 / 2003 in very dated way. I think the new norm is a box with an arrow going in or out of it from the side to indicate in/out.

yeah give em the old in out

Reply 249 of 516, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
7F20 wrote on 2020-01-13, 15:25:

You sure it is outdated? This is on a 2013 MacBook Pro.

Attachments

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 251 of 516, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If the login icon is our chief concern here I would say the new look is a success.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 252 of 516, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2020-01-13, 16:34:

If the login icon is our chief concern here I would say the new look is a success.

Yeah, it's not though. I think people haven't touched all the small things yet

Reply 253 of 516, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The power button icon is there for some retro fun, fits the meaning of the button, just like the breadcrunbs were made to look loke a command prompt path. Simple but nice

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 254 of 516, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Third theme option: compact (much like the original look) and an option to choose which system to apply the theme to (either desktop or mobile). Also, how about an app for Android and iOS? I know, the coding can be complicated, but, you can decide on that.

Reply 255 of 516, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

As if Snover had not mentioned lack of time and manpower...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 257 of 516, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dominus wrote on 2020-01-14, 18:26:

As if Snover had not mentioned lack of time and manpower...

I need to read the fine print more.

Reply 258 of 516, by Daniël Oosterhuis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm going to voice this one again, as all previous times it's been brought up, it has gotten completely ignored by the re-designers: Why is the cursor replacement not opt-in? As cutesy as it is, it's nothing more than a gimmick. To me, it's jarring when I move my mouse around, and it changes cursor depending if I aim on the browser window or outside of it.

That might be a minor thing to me, but some people have accessibility features turned on to be able to see their cursor, having this website assert its own gimmick over this is just unacceptably giving these people a massive roadblock. Turn it off completely, or make it opt-in if this gimmick really has to stay. I don't want to get ranty and pedantic about it, but the fact that it could be an unfair challenge to lesser able users is just unacceptable.

sUd4xjs.gif

Reply 259 of 516, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Thraka wrote on 2020-01-13, 02:09:

Is there a possibility of adding markdown? It's so much cleaner and easier than bbcode.

I was thinking about this too during the development process. The biggest practical barrier (other than time) is that Markdown does not have a standard way to associate metadata with quotes, which is a problem since that metadata is required to trigger quote notifications and create post backreferences. It may also not be possible to toggle between different editing modes since the text parser does cache some configuration—I haven’t investigated this. This probably won’t happen due to resource constraints, but I can’t dismiss it entirely since you’re right about the poor ergonomics of BBCode.

bjwil1991 wrote on 2020-01-14, 18:24:

Also, how about an app for Android and iOS?

There won’t ever be an app, but you can add the site to your home screen if you want.

dann86 wrote on 2020-01-14, 18:29:

Found a bug, when logged in "Who’s online?" shows just me. when logged out it shows everyone logged in.

I’m not able to reproduce this. The “Who’s online?” section is specific to whatever topic or forum you’re browsing—are you comparing the same page?

jheronimus wrote on 2020-01-02, 01:35:

However, I was a bit disappointed that 2MB limit for photos remained intact. I think a default photo made on an iPhone is like 7-10MB, so a 2MB limit is really sad. Right now there are two options:

Uploaded images are now automatically resized/compressed to keep them under 2MiB, with some restrictions: there is still a 5MiB maximum on all file uploads, and the images need to be under 20MP to be eligible for this processing. Large processed images will be reduced to 10MP. If an image is recompressed, it will be marked with an icon. Please let me know if you encounter any trouble.

Daniël Oosterhuis wrote on 2020-01-15, 12:59:

I'm going to voice this one again, as all previous times it's been brought up, it has gotten completely ignored by the re-designers […]

I am not ignoring you. Please read the first paragraph of this post. I will get to this as I can. There is only one of me.

Yes, it’s my fault.