Style problems/bugs

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 112, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The "more than 14 replies" icon is not needed i think
The "the 1-14 replies" icon is not needed at all i think.
I mean just the picture not the whole button 😉
They make it harder to distinguish sticky from the rest.

Reply 61 of 112, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yesterday I had some weird SQL issues with the PC emulation forum thread of mine, it kept erroring out when I made the posts a bit longer than average(just trying to add the very first line of said post to the post before that):
Re: Any good MS-DOS 80386/80486/Pentium(on slow system) games for testing Protected mode emulation and instructions?

Thought I'd try reporting it here this time(at the time I was just trying to get my information on the topic out there). Don't know if it's fixed by now(or perhaps only applies to editing posts).

Author of the UniPCemu emulator.
UniPCemu Git repository
UniPCemu for Android, Windows, PSP, Vita and Switch on itch.io

Reply 62 of 112, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi everyone,

Sorry for not being communicative, some internet bad guy decided to stress test the new site by attacking it, so instead of fixing bugs and improving usability I instead used my time at the weekend on mitigations. The good news is the mitigations also make loading images a whole lot faster for everyone for forever, and also they were super effective.

I will get to the two other topics which have had more activity but I wanted to start here since I only have a few minutes now and I actually have some things to reply to here 😀

robertmo wrote on 2020-01-03, 06:36:
Snover wrote on 2020-01-02, 00:53:
robertmo wrote on 2019-12-31, 15:54:

was wondering if it would be possible to make zooming in and out possible without page jumping up and down so much

Are you referring to desktop browser full page zoom, touch zoom, some other zoom?

desktop
Go from max zoom out to max zoom in and back and try to focus on my post

This is all controlled by the browser. You are presumably just hitting the viewport on the bottom of the page which pushes the anchor point up when you go to zoom back in again. I guess you could file a bug with your browser vendor if you want.

robertmo wrote on 2020-01-05, 10:20:
The "more than 14 replies" icon is not needed i think The "the 1-14 replies" icon is not needed at all i think. I mean just the […]
Show full quote

The "more than 14 replies" icon is not needed i think
The "the 1-14 replies" icon is not needed at all i think.
I mean just the picture not the whole button 😉
They make it harder to distinguish sticky from the rest.

This is fair, though it has been a feature from the beginning and I don’t know which visual cues people use to decide their interest in a topic (clearly). The threshold could be increased or the icon could be removed. I’ve made a TODO to see what others want to do here, if anything.

konc wrote on 2020-01-03, 16:24:

Completely insignificant and doesn't affect functionality at all, just mentioning in case you haven't noticed: I was trying to figure out what the buttons in control panel do and it took me more than it should to realize that they correspond to the sections below but in the opposite order of appearance. I don't know if this is intentional, but it would have been obvious if the icons matched in the correct order. I also don't get why some options are circled in cyan for no apparent reason. In case you guys decide to change any of this, I'm expecting it to be at the bottom of the to-do list of course

Ah, yes. The reverse order is a bit weird there. Technically the order is the same in the page structure but the action buttons always go right-to-left so that the top actions are always on the edge instead of being buried between the title and the rest of the buttons. Sorry for the confusion. I’m not sure it’s something that can be addressed effectively but I’ll keep it in the back of my mind.

As far as the highlighted buttons on that page go, you are the second person to remark on this 😀 This is a very poor attempt at drawing people’s attention to the most common control panel actions. There are just so many panels that I wanted to make it easier for people to find the ones they actually care about (statistically). It may succeed in that regard but it also seems to cause confusion since it is completely non-obvious what is the reason for that, so I will probably just take it out.

robertmo wrote on 2020-01-05, 05:56:

Can it be made that the "New(Unread)" mark doesn't disappear on previous pages if you haven't seen them.

The board software decides what you’ve viewed in a topic according to the latest loaded post time, rather than holding viewed time ranges. My initial thought was that it would not be possible to do this in a non-trivial manner but maybe it is and would be better for the user experience. I’ll have to think about it more when I have worked through most of the rest of the backlog of issues.

Shagittarius wrote on 2020-01-05, 06:24:

Why are all the screenshots of my desktop not showing up in my last 2 posts on this topic:

Sorry, this was me working on the mitigation and initially not correctly handling file extension case.

superfury wrote on 2020-01-06, 12:38:

Yesterday I had some weird SQL issues with the PC emulation forum thread of mine, it kept erroring out when I made the posts a bit longer than average(just trying to add the very first line of said post to the post before that):
Re: Any good MS-DOS 80386/80486/Pentium(on slow system) games for testing Protected mode emulation and instructions?

Thought I'd try reporting it here this time(at the time I was just trying to get my information on the topic out there). Don't know if it's fixed by now(or perhaps only applies to editing posts).

Thanks for noticing this! There was indeed a bug in some functionality related to post editing which has been fixed now. If you notice any other errors please post them here instead of somewhere else so that I will see them 😀

OK, hopefully back to being able to work on actual things to make you guys happier tomorrow!

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 64 of 112, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Are you sure it still does that? On the first day or still the second I also had this feeling but now it doesn't.
I tried just now with the "welcome to the updated VOGONS" thread and deliberately ignored it when I got the notification of a new post. The next reply (incidentally yours) didn't trigger a notification mail.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 65 of 112, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2020-01-03, 08:24:
Qbix wrote on 2020-01-02, 19:32:

test

This was the first time I'd tried attachments since the update, so not sure if this was an attachment issue with the browser config or more general compatibility to browser itself (IE11, though not on my own PC), but they work fine on my PC with firefox.

Uploads in IE11 are fixed now. thanks for reporting this!

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 66 of 112, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
robertmo wrote on 2020-01-07, 08:09:

forum is flooding mailbox with info about every single post made in a thread.
In the past it was only one email till you visit that thread.

The new notification system is… not well designed… so it is hard to even trace how it is intended to run. There are several open upstream bugs related to extra or missing notifications, like PHPBB3-13412 and PHPBB3-11715 and PHPBB3-15421. If you have on-board notifications disabled then you will receive every single email notification because the decision to not send a notification is based on whether or not the on-board notification is marked as read or not, so be sure not to turn those off for the time being.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 67 of 112, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

on my phone scrolling is very sluggish and stops intermittently, especially when changing scroll direction and/or scrolling fast, also weird flickering during scrolls, the same flickering of the page happens while images in a thread are loading, if they are large external images the page flickers the whole time until all the images are loaded (also I would want to prevent large external images being loaded full size anyways, there was a page with a whole bunch of multi-MB images loading full-size, if I hadn't been connected through wifi at that time it would probably have used up like 1/4 of my data... yes I have a very limited data plan)

I can not replicate this behaviour on any other page on my phone, so it seems vogons specific.

Reply 68 of 112, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What happened to the "place inline" for the uploads dialogue?

Now when I upload stuff, it automatically attaches a resized image at the bottom of the post. If I want to put text near the correct pictures, I have to drag the link to the post and then put img tags around them.

This leads to clutter as the automatically appearing images still show up at the bottom of the post and the ones I drag and use img tags for do not resize.

See here for an example:
Re: Cooling solutions for modded Tualatin P3 1.4S (Slot 1 to S370 slotket).

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 69 of 112, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-01-13, 15:39:

The button was lost after an update to a newer patch version of phpBB. It is fixed now. Thanks for reporting this!

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 70 of 112, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Snover wrote on 2020-01-13, 18:38:
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-01-13, 15:39:

The button was lost after an update to a newer patch version of phpBB. It is fixed now. Thanks for reporting this!

Awesome. Thanks!

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 71 of 112, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How do we use smileys now?

I see I can use a colon and then a character after it and it brings up a dropdown for most letters, but that is not really workable unless we know the exact character sequence to bring up what we want.

The disable smileys checkbox is not checked. Am I just missing something?

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 72 of 112, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-01-14, 22:24:

How do we use smileys now?

Already answered:

bfcastello wrote on 2020-01-14, 18:24:

Snover mentioned that you can now use the emojis available on your OS (for starters, smartphones offer them, and macOS do have them) but dunno about Windows and Linux.

schmatzler wrote on 2020-01-14, 18:37:

Windows 10 comes with an Emoji keyboard. Can be enabled with WIN + .

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 74 of 112, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've noticed avatars occasionally get duplicated above where they're supposed to be:

Screen Shot 2020-01-16 at 1.38.14 pm.png
Filename
Screen Shot 2020-01-16 at 1.38.14 pm.png
File size
600.99 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

This happens regardless of whether there's anything else getting drawn in that spot (i.e. they'll overdraw a username/text or other avatar in that area.) The 'phantom' avatar will still be there if you scroll it off the screen and back in either direction, but a reload will fix it.

I can't find a reliable way to force it to happen, so I wasn't able to get a better screenshot. I've seen it pop up at least 5-6 times now though.

Note that I've only observed this bug SO FAR on an older version of Opera (50.0, one of the last versions that runs on OS/X 10.9) but that's what I do 90% of my browsing on this site with. I'll post back ASAP if I see it on anything else.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 75 of 112, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If I upload an attachment > 2MB in size, I get an error message but the posting process crashes: greyed out Preview, Submit, etc. and can't un-attach or delete the offending file.

Reply 76 of 112, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I also find the dotted line box that appears around e.g. the Quick Reply, Notifications (when opened), Choose thread page drop down (when opened) etc. irritating as it is offset and not fitting to anything else shown.

When in a thread I think the thread page navigation on top right/bottom right is unintuitive. It is not clear on first look, which of the numbers is the current page I am on and which number are different pages.
If I open the drop down menu on page navigation I get a very tiny box to choose the target page. I think it would be better and faster to navigate to show perpendicular a range of about 10 pages when opening.

When marking all notification as read with the button appearing in the notification drop down menu I have to click on two follow up acknowledgement windows. This is unnecessary complicated and can be removed.

General remarks:
The forum content area and the forum navigation/actions show a very similar style especially from the colors. They only change color if I hover over it.
I think the forum navigation and actions should be more distinctive different than the content present in the postings. I would propose a change of the default color of navigation and action controls to NOT have the same color as the background.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 77 of 112, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
elianda wrote on 2020-01-23, 16:52:

I also find the dotted line box that appears around e.g. the Quick Reply, Notifications (when opened), Choose thread page drop down (when opened) etc. irritating as it is offset and not fitting to anything else shown.

I also commented on this but apparently not many share the same opinion (or maybe it was too early and the new forum had more important issues to deal with). This and the crazy zig zag lines everywhere, for example in the full editor page everything is lines and dots. I just don't get why.

Reply 78 of 112, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

yup, now that most of the important things have been talked about... I too dislike the zig zag lines, I know this is the new "style" but it was very irritating at first, because somehow I automatically follow them making it hard to skim through topics in the overview, the more compact line spacing has made this a lot better, but I would still prefer distinct borders around each element.

this goes hand in hand with the missing seperation between the background, no border and the same color background for content is a bad mix imho.

I also agree on the dotted background, it has gotten a lot better since the launch of the new design, but it still feels unnecessary.

Reply 79 of 112, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just noticed that the Active Topics page has a really odd linebreak on mobile devices.

I feel slightly triggered by this. Maybe it can be fixed? 😄

Screenshot_20200126-022131_Chrome.png
Filename
Screenshot_20200126-022131_Chrome.png
File size
251.82 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"