Common searches

What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 1681 of 5850, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

TOW struck me as meh too, I’ll wait for it to hit GOG in a years time and try it again with some mods.

DOOM 3 is fun - lots of scripted moments but great atmosphere and gameplay for the most part.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 1682 of 5850, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote on 2020-01-14, 05:30:

TOW struck me as meh too, I’ll wait for it to hit GOG in a years time and try it again with some mods.

DOOM 3 is fun - lots of scripted moments but great atmosphere and gameplay for the most part.

I've replayed the first few levels of Doom 3 the other day and coming back to it after Doom (2016) you can see that the developers certainly from the better ideas of Doom 3to create this wonderful game. Much of Doom's (2016) fantastic execution is attributed to Doom (20131993) but it also borrows heavily from Doom 3's ideas and aesthetics as well.

Last edited by appiah4 on 2020-01-14, 09:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1683 of 5850, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2020-01-14, 08:08:

I've replayed the first few levels of Doom 3 the other day and coming back to it after Doom (2016) you can see that the developers certainly from the better ideas of Doom 3to create this wonderful game. Much of Doom's (2016) fantastic execution is attributed to Doom (2013) but it also borrows heavily from Doom 3's ideas and aesthetics as well.

WHAT. I didn't realize there were TWO modern games named Doom with no suffixes. I'm sometimes out of the loop on triple-A titles & honestly thought all the hype was about the same one. So Doom 2013 is Doom 4-ish and Doom 2016 is Doom 5-ish? My brain hurts. You can't name your own thing something with like one word in common with a commercial product or you'll get sued for creating "brand confusion", but then publishers go do this crap... Who's making these decisions?

Speaking of Doom (you guys can guess which iteration of the game I mean by this), I'm now playing through Vulkan, Inc. which is a mod+map pack by a youtuber I follow who sort-of got me back into playing Doom mods in the first place. This one's not as visually stunning as Slaughter Spectrum but that goes without saying. Still, there are a lot of really solid maps and innovative ideas in it, & it's well worth checking out. I've hit a few obtuse "puzzles" (that shouldn't really be puzzles) and secret hunts that took me longer than they should, but overall I'm having lots of fun with it.

Sdi6SNRl.png
^^ (creator's screenshot)

vulkan.jpg
Filename
vulkan.jpg
File size
255.22 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

^^ eheheheh, um no.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1684 of 5850, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

OK, absolutely sorry about messing up with your head I meant to type 1993 but typed 2013 - obviously you start mixing up the decades when you have lived too long 🙁

Reply 1685 of 5850, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oops, fair enough! Should've clued in there. Guess I had the rash of original-name reboots from around that time (Tomb Raider, Rise of the Triad, Wolfenstein, Prey, Need for Speed, etc.) in my brain. I'm glad I'm not so out of touch that I missed an installment of Doom.

Mini-rant still stands though. Wish they'd stop doing that.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1686 of 5850, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know if any of you remember when news first broke about Doom 3 where screenshots and videos started appearing. I thought there is no way those kind of graphics could possibly render smoothly on current systems. Then the alpha leaked. I consider it more of a side story version of the Doom series because of how different it plays from the rest. It really set the standard on atmosphere. Especially in the lighting dept.

Reply 1687 of 5850, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good morning! To try to be on the subject of DOOM, I have only played Doom I and Doom II. The classic ones. I can't comment on their evolution, since I have never played the other sequels. I have never completed these games as well. The furthest I went in shooter games was Wolfenstein 3D. It was so scary (remember, I was a kid) that when I was alone playing, if someone came from behind to talk with me I would jump from my chair scared. HAHA! But shooter games weren't my #1 game choice.

I can only comment about the only game sequels I have ever played, and it was the MicroProse Grand Prix series (F1GP, GP2, GP3, GP4). Geoff Crammond really mastered the AI in these games, and since GP4 no racing game was able to match the quality of its AI (not even current-gen sim racing games like rFactor and Assetto Corsa or Project CARS can match it yet).

The key word here is the AI, how many games from that era (the 90's) had a very good AI to play against?

F1GP graphics were fairly rudimentary, but very good for the computers when it was released (1990/1992), and they represented well these cars and tracks. GP2 graphics were a massive improvement but still no wet weather racing. The JAMs were pretty easy to change - with GP2 (1996) it started the trend of modifying the games to update them. By 1996 there were a lot of editors and patches for GPx series to improve the gaming experience. This hasn't changed with GP3 (1998) and GP4 (2002) for the modding community, and they are still alive as of now.

GP3 was more of the same but with a quite strange wet-weather race conditions and a buggy multiplayer experience. I don't think he really mastered the grip for these conditions, but GP4 came pretty close. For GP4 they ditched the JAMS for a more complex new graphics with DirectX. I never liked how they did it and the need for DirectX, but the result was a pretty good game although they botched the multiplayer system because of FIA's licensing issues.

I still play these sequels these days. F1GP on my iPad, GP2 on my MBP. For GP4 it will run better in bootcamp mode than a VM but I pretty lazy to do that switch.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 1688 of 5850, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I love the GP series. GP2 is what I am most nostalgic for..

Amiga-Grand-Prix.jpg PC-Grand-Prix-2.jpg

..but GP3 is probably the best game of the lot. I never played GP4. I need to buy GP3 and GP4 boxed for my collection sometime.

Reply 1689 of 5850, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2020-01-14, 13:11:
I love the GP series. GP2 is what I am most nostalgic for.. […]
Show full quote

I love the GP series. GP2 is what I am most nostalgic for..

Amiga-Grand-Prix.jpg PC-Grand-Prix-2.jpg

..but GP3 is probably the best game of the lot. I never played GP4. I need to buy GP3 and GP4 boxed for my collection sometime.

I used to have the boxes, but they are long gone. Now I have only the manuals and CDs for GP2/GP3/GP4, and a floppy disk with a copy of F1GP. I have even a gaming magazine with car setups for each track on GP2. I tried to improve the graphics for GP2 by myself with better car painting than what I did in the past, but got tired and downloaded a 1994 carset. The game doesn't support a higher quality BMP for JAMS anyway.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 1690 of 5850, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

GP2 was a hit with my friends and I but sadly my main memory of it is how poorly it ran on my DX2 66 ☠️ I tried it recently on a PR300 Cyrix and it still lagged a bit with all of the graphical options on, so my poor old 486 had no chance.

Once Network Q Rally came into my life some time in 97 I never looked at another car racing sim again, it’s the only one for me.

Reply 1691 of 5850, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote on 2020-01-14, 20:28:

GP2 was a hit with my friends and I but sadly my main memory of it is how poorly it ran on my DX2 66 ☠️ I tried it recently on a PR300 Cyrix and it still lagged a bit with all of the graphical options on, so my poor old 486 had no chance.

Once Network Q Rally came into my life some time in 97 I never looked at another car racing sim again, it’s the only one for me.

This one?

-game-pc-rally-championship-europress-cdrom-D_NQ_NP_14187-MLB201819563_4381-F.jpg

I had it too, but I played it very little. I had it on my "deceased" Acer Extensa 710T (win95) around 1996 I believe.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 1693 of 5850, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote on 2020-01-14, 20:46:

That’s the one:

Re: What game are you playing now?

😋

F$*#****!!!! You even have the same steering wheel I had - my first one - but I think mine was a Thrustmaster Formula T2, yours look pretty similar...

Now I have a Logitech G25 lurking around and catching some dust, since I retired simracing competitions.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 1694 of 5850, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
liqmat wrote on 2020-01-14, 12:39:

I don't know if any of you remember when news first broke about Doom 3 where screenshots and videos started appearing. I thought there is no way those kind of graphics could possibly render smoothly on current systems. Then the alpha leaked. I consider it more of a side story version of the Doom series because of how different it plays from the rest. It really set the standard on atmosphere. Especially in the lighting dept.

I still haven't played Doom 3 but I remember that hype train well, and it's one of the few instances where I think the result lived up to it. Actually UT2004 was my "games can't really look any better than this! Graphics are done." title. I still sort-of think so, but Apphia4's screenshots on the previous page are bringing me around a bit though. I guess we had room for one more generation in there...(*)

Gonna have to play them both eventually.

(* Note: I'm being sarcastic. There are plenty of games now I think look better than Doom3/UT2004, although I don't think the generational leaps have been nearly as important since then. It's really given me an appreciation for good art/environment design over "good graphics.")

Reply 1695 of 5850, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I finally started playing a “modern” game. One of the retro games Ive downloaded was Championship Manager 99/00 to play on Win 2k. I want to manage again the greatest team Vasco da Gama (BRA) ever had in 1998/2000 era. But first, a modern version.

I installed Football Manager 2020 on my iPad to manage the same club, 20 years later, now with one of the weakest sides of the Brazilian league. I also installed it on my phone to play the mobile version, but this one will be the Spanish La Liga with Barcelona 😀

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 1696 of 5850, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Farcry was the game that convinced me that graphs were done and dusted - my viewing orbs just couldn’t believe what they were viewing. We’ve come a long way since then obviously but there’s a point where more is just too much for me - I don’t object to game graphics getting more awesome, but in the same way that the modern star wars movies overwhelm my senses and I crave the simple sets / effects of the originals, I just don’t get blown away by AAA graphics like I used to.

Reply 1697 of 5850, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

-Dariusburst Chronicle Saviours
-Alice: Madness Returns
-Commander Keen: Atroxian Realm
-Dungeon Siege

P6 chip. Triple the speed of the Pentium.
Tualatin: PIII-S @ 1628MHz | QDI Advance 12T | 2GB DDR-310 | 6800GT | X-Fi | 500GB HDD | 3DMark01: 14,059
Dothan: PM @ 2.9GHz | MSI Speedster FA4 | 2GB DDR2-580 | GTX 750Ti | X-Fi | 500GB SSD | 3DMark01: 43,190

Reply 1698 of 5850, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think it's the law of diminishing returns combined with the threshold of perceptual immersion. Doom (1993) crossed that threshold despite not being true 3D. Compare it's immersive experience in contrast to Wolf3D. It's been smaller and smaller gains since then. And it's why Doom is still fun, moreso than many new games. Play 5 minutes of FarCry and you will quickly forget you are playing a 15yo game. Same with HL1, a 20yo game. I'm not saying you can't notice a difference if you try, but you probably won't notice when focusing on the action and gameplay. And it's those latter qualities that matter, and where new games often lack.

Reply 1699 of 5850, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolderman wrote on 2020-01-15, 06:05:

I think it's the law of diminishing returns combined with the threshold of perceptual immersion. Doom (1993) crossed that threshold despite not being true 3D. Compare it's immersive experience in contrast to Wolf3D. It's been smaller and smaller gains since then. And it's why Doom is still fun, moreso than many new games. Play 5 minutes of FarCry and you will quickly forget you are playing a 15yo game. Same with HL1, a 20yo game. I'm not saying you can't notice a difference if you try, but you probably won't notice when focusing on the action and gameplay. And it's those latter qualities that matter, and where new games often lack.

I completely agree, not that I don't like better graphics, of course I do. Personally I'm pretty sick of modern "Open World" game design. It's all the laziness of MMO design and unneeded busy work. I started playing Red Dead Redemption 2 and despite the technology being amazing I find myself mostly bored by it. The pace of an open world , the ponderousness of all the built in simulation systems, let me exist in the old west without worrying about the minutia or having to find my own gameplay please...

I think game design these days leans way too much into simulation and the lazy open world design. I can't wait for the open world fad to end or at least be redefined into something that doesn't add tons of additional needless hours to the gameplay. Really, I'd be happier to play a corridor shooter again over an open world game.