VOGONS

First post, by beastlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello, this seems like one that should be an easy Google search, but I seem to be getting conflicting information out there, and just want to verify I get the right kind of disks for my Apple IIe. It came with 2 Disk ][ drives, which are model # A2M0003

Some places are saying double density double sided, some are saying high density, some are saying single sided, some places just aren't saying.

Does anyone know from experience what types of disks to buy for this system, or if maybe it doesn't matter? I've seen plenty of sealed 10 packs of double sided double density on eBay but just don't wanna waste my time if it's not gonna work.

I'm looking to use the method listed here: https://www.thegeekpub.com/9433/transfer-file … pple-ii-ii-iie/

To write the disks from my phone, a 3.5mm cable, and the cassette input on the Apple IIe.

Thank you!

Reply 1 of 2, by jtchip

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Apple II DOS 3.3 and ProDOS 8 formatted disks at 16 (256B) sectors/track, 35 tracks, 1 side, for a total capacity of 140KB. It only needs single-sided, single density disks, though double density disks also work fine (IIRC, they replaced the single density ones on the market at the time so you basically had no choice). Not high density though, those are meant for PC-format 1.2MB drives. You can double-sided disks if you plan to punch a write-enable notch on the opposite side and flip the disk around. Some people frown on that though as the disks isn't intended to be used in that way.

Reply 2 of 2, by beastlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jtchip wrote on 2020-01-17, 01:08:

Apple II DOS 3.3 and ProDOS 8 formatted disks at 16 (256B) sectors/track, 35 tracks, 1 side, for a total capacity of 140KB. It only needs single-sided, single density disks, though double density disks also work fine (IIRC, they replaced the single density ones on the market at the time so you basically had no choice). Not high density though, those are meant for PC-format 1.2MB drives. You can double-sided disks if you plan to punch a write-enable notch on the opposite side and flip the disk around. Some people frown on that though as the disks isn't intended to be used in that way.

Excellent thank you!!

There are cards that would let me mount CF and have hundreds of disk images, but then I'd be missing out on the disk sound!