VOGONS

First post, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've seen two part numbers for these. CT4390 and CT4540. There may be others but I don't know about them if they exist. What are the differences between the variants?

Last edited by sliderider on 2011-03-07, 12:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 13, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:

I googled for CT4540, and the search results came up with -

http://queststudios.com/smf/index.php?topic=2364.0;wap2

I had seen that but it's still kinda cryptic as to what the differences actually are. What I am finding is that most of the time when the CT4540 comes up for sale, people tend to want more for it than the CT4390 so I thought maybe it might have some added functionality or something to justify the price or maybe it's just rarer?

Reply 3 of 13, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had seen that but it's still kinda cryptic as to what the differences actually are.

What I got out of it is that they're functionally identical, just that the CT4540 is a later, more integrated version to reduce manufacturing costs.

Reply 6 of 13, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the same drivers should work on either card

I did a bit more reading about it and saw the same thing as AdamP mentioned... the capabilities of the cards were no different, but the hardware itself was changed enough to require newer drivers. Nowadays you'd probably be using the newest drivers anyway, though, so it shouldn't really be a problem.

Reply 7 of 13, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The CT4540 is a tiny bit shorter. It is likely higher integrated (less parts). Typical Creative cost savings measures.

Seems to be one of the final ISA cards from Creative, though some of their SB16s might be even newer. E.g. wave effects.

CT4540 is definitely harder to find though and I doubt there are any functional or audible differences.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 9 of 13, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hard to say. Changelogs might shed some light on this issue, but just use the latest driver and you will be fine 😜

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 10 of 13, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the biggest difference I see between the two is that 3rd chip that handles the SPDIF output... the CT4540 one is smaller, but I doubt any of the instructions are different... just a "reduced core" size so to speak 😉

Reply 11 of 13, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some utilities may have different options or functionalities, like for example, the older AWE32 control panel for WIndows 95, chich came with the AWE32, contains an option to enable the QSound. Later versions removed this functionailty. Confirmed this with one guy from Creative Tech last time.

Otherwise, all AWE-class utilities and drivers should work with all AWE-class cards.

My AWE32 autoexec.bat and config.sys files created when the AWE32 was installed, will work without any changes with my AWE64 Gold. The only functionality or driver that may not work is the CSP-chip driver - the CSP.SYS driver, which may not work with cards not having the CSP/ASP chip.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 12 of 13, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheMAN wrote on 2011-03-07, 00:09:

I really don't think either of them are different enough to require different drivers... both of them use the same mixer chip (CT1745A-SCP) and both uses the same EMU chip

Old thread I know, but there's something specific that I was going to ask anyway, and I spotted this topic, so thought it was ok/relevant to add to it...

Regarding the CT4390, I have seen this same model number, with different mixer chips on it. More often it is S'94, but occasionally I see SCP, with I think a date of 1996 written elsewhere on that chip.
This is just a guess, but would the SCP version be fractionally better, as it might be a later design?