VOGONS

Reply 180 of 394, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Weird re. the CD-ROM drive and your CD-R; as an aside Zenith did have an upgrade option to the 12 speed XM-5701 but don't think it was CD-R capable either.

Does any of this help with the 'missing' cpu

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/getting- … ndows-2000-pro/

Don't think the board needs a terminator for the 2nd socket if empty

Reply 184 of 394, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

To enable the 2nd CPU on my Asus P2B-DS I have to press F5 during Win2k's text mode setup and select "Standard MPS" maybe you need to do the same?

Reply 185 of 394, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have confirmed that each of the Pentium 200 CPUs boots if it is the only CPU in the machine. So no broken CPUs. Perhaps wasn't designed for i430HX in multiprocessor configuration?

Horun wrote on 2020-01-15, 04:55:

ALS100 Win2k driver, cannot verify it works but you can try it...

Thanks! Got it working in W2K, but it was a pain. It only worked if I set the default IRQs of 5 and 2(9) in the EISA configuration utility, then told W2K to use those values. Other IRQ's wouldn't cooperate, even if first set in the EISA configuration utility.

chinny22 wrote on 2020-01-15, 08:13:

To enable the 2nd CPU on my Asus P2B-DS I have to press F5 during Win2k's text mode setup and select "Standard MPS" maybe you need to do the same?

When I open the Device Manager, and right click on "MPS Multiprocessor PC" to update driver, the options I see are shown in this image. I do not see "Standard MPS". Do you mean "Standard PC" or "MPS Uniprocessor PC"? There is one more option not shown in the image; click on Compaq and there is the option for "Compaq SystemPro Multiprocessor or 100% compatible." Could this be it? EDIT: I think these were for 486 systems, so that's probably not it either.

MPS.png
Filename
MPS.png
File size
24.35 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 186 of 394, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ignore me I think I'm leading you down the wrong track. My notes just say "Standard MPS" but guessing I mean not ACPI and now remember I have to do this because ACPI is borken on my boards revision. Can I blame the fact I hadn't had a coffee yet as an excuse?

Reply 188 of 394, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2020-01-15, 05:29:

Weird re. the CD-ROM drive and your CD-R; as an aside Zenith did have an upgrade option to the 12 speed XM-5701 but don't think it was CD-R capable either.

Back in the day (mid 90's-early 2000's) there was a lot of debate about CDR media and which worked best in most CDRoms. The slightly blue dye media types like Maxell, Imation, TDK, etc worked best in most but not in all. The silver CDR media seemed to work the least but better in some even though all professional CD's are basically silver. One other thing: all old CDR media was 4x, 8x or 16x and almost always backward compatible to 1x or 2x. Any newer media like the 32x, 40x, 52x, etc was never designed to be read or burned in old CDRoms less than 16 or 20x speeds though they might work if the media dye color works well with the older roms laser color and intensity plus how sensitive the pickup LED is (all are are factors in CDR readability in the older units). I may have mis-stated a bit cause am going off old memories but recently bought a 20 box of NOS old Imation 1x-16 CDR media just so I can burn it and read it in old CDRs and cdroms, as it was one of my "go to" brands.

feipoa wrote on 2020-01-15, 06:52:

Is someone else willing to see if NT4 and W2K show two processors on their Proserva system?

Yeah I will try to find time to install WIn2k today or tomorrow.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 189 of 394, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok installed Win2k, Good news: it shows two cpu in Task Manager > Performance. I used my original Win2k Sp1 disk and have not done a Sp4 update.
Bad news is I have same issue as you with Win98se and "shut down to dos", CDrom hangs with an error and cannot even open/shut the tray. Also just showed up in Device Manager a yellow flag and a second AIC-6370 under "other". Tried the ECU and the Util disk to see or set the 6370 but they both show same IRQ, Port and mem range so not sure why that happened (other than a bad 98se driver ?).
I suggest you try the original Win2k install CD, read on one website about issues with a MS patch was included in sp3 or sp4 causing issues with some multi-processor boards.
Don't laugh at my Video settings, have it set at low res and have some Moir issues. Also: don't feow too god am fighting code and noze is drippin like a fauset...hachooow

Attachments

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 190 of 394, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember that whole CD-R discussion back in the day. I had the best luck with the $1 Fry's electronics el cheapo discs. They were blue or green on the bottom.

I had only tried Win95 osr 2.5. I had hoped that Win98SE would fix that AEC-6370 issue. I tried everything to get rid of that exclamation mark. There are built-in Win9x drivers for "6370" but Windows says they aren't correct. I tried the drivers I found online, but issue continues. I also tried the eisa config utility.

When I installed W2K, I used an original upgrade disc that I bought in summer of 2000. So it must be pre-SP2 at least. I did not check the processors in Task Manager until I upgarded to SP4. Would you be willing to install SP4? Are your processors with SY044 sspec?

I just moved several tonnes of snow with a bucket to create a 10' tall sledding hill in our backyard for my kids. It took 8 hours of non-stop slave labour. I am in a whole world of hurt right now. I can barely type as my finger ligaments, neck, back, legs, feet, everything are beyond stiff.

EDIT: Here's some photos of my insanity today.

IMG_6648.jpg
Filename
IMG_6648.jpg
File size
310.72 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_6649.jpg
Filename
IMG_6649.jpg
File size
363.01 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 191 of 394, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here's what the Proserva looks like with the LG SATA drive (using a SATA-to-SCSI bridge adapter). I think the drive colour matches pretty good, about as well as the original Toshiba drive.

Could it be possible that the issue with my W2K installation was due to the upgrade disc searching for my previous installation of NT, which happened to be in uniprocessor mode? The drive I used was from another system with a single CPU. W2K saw that the NT4 system had one CPU and it setup W2K to have one CPU? Or could be SP4.

I've decided that I'm going to try setting up the system with 8024 MB (win98se), 8024 MB (NT4), 18654 MB (W2K) and try the NT4 SCSI tricks to get NT4 working after the first 8 GB noted previously in another thread, How to boot DOS partitions which reside beyond the 8 GB barrier

Proserva_with_SATA-to-SCSI_CD-ROM.jpg
Filename
Proserva_with_SATA-to-SCSI_CD-ROM.jpg
File size
281.1 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 193 of 394, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote on 2020-01-16, 05:43:
I did not check the processors in Task Manager until I upgarded to SP4. Would you be willing to install SP4? Are your processo […]
Show full quote

I did not check the processors in Task Manager until I upgarded to SP4. Would you be willing to install SP4? Are your processors with SY044 sspec?

I just moved several tonnes of snow with a bucket to create a 10' tall sledding hill in our backyard for my kids. It took 8 hours of non-stop slave labour. I am in a whole world of hurt right now. I can barely type as my finger ligaments, neck, back, legs, feet, everything are beyond stiff.

IMG_6648.jpg
IMG_6649.jpg

Yes they both are SY044. Yes will apply Win2k Sp4 tonight, and yes it could be that the Win2k setup saw something in a previous setup.
Nice snow mountain, great pictures !

Reply 194 of 394, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Installed Win2k Sp4 and both proc's still show. Win2k Sp4 uses about 4Mb more ram than Sp1.

Reply 195 of 394, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Great, thank you for checking this. I'm going to install w98se then NT4. Hopefully NT4 will see both processors.

Also, I now remember why I'm not using the SATA-to-SCSI acard adapter - DOS drivers don't appear to allow access to the drive, although it gets setup properly. Checking the ACARD user manual for the AEC-7732U, DOS is not listed as a supported OS. So I've had to put in another SCSI drive to read my CD-R discs. I might have to retro-brite the drive to get it to match the Proserva's bezel.

Reply 196 of 394, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
I just moved several tonnes of snow with a bucket to create a 10' tall sledding hill in our backyard for my kids. It took 8 hou […]
Show full quote

IMG_6648.jpg
IMG_6649.jpg

I don't have anything to add to the current discussion, but I just wanted to say this is awesome. Hope the kids get a ton of fun out of it while the snow's still down. Nice job.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 197 of 394, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xjas wrote on 2020-01-17, 07:50:
I just moved several tonnes of snow with a bucket to create a 10' tall sledding hill in our backyard for my kids. It took 8 hou […]
Show full quote

IMG_6648.jpg
IMG_6649.jpg

I don't have anything to add to the current discussion, but I just wanted to say this is awesome. Hope the kids get a ton of fun out of it while the snow's still down. Nice job.

Thanks. Yeah, mostly my oldest daughter. The top platform is quite small and there are sheer cliffs on either side so I was a little nervous putting the 6 and 3 year old on top, but they went down a few times. My oldest daughter probably went down a ten thousand times though. Literally all the snow from my front and backyards have been moved to form this hill and the runway. Tomorrow is probably the last day we can use it due to the rising temperatures. I am in a world of hurt though - can't make a fist with my left hand or grab anything.

Reply 198 of 394, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote on 2020-01-13, 05:07:

No NT4? But NT4 was likely the target OS for this system; not using it removes some of the authenticity.

So you plan to use two HDDs, with each OS having 8 GB plus a second 8 GB partition?

I personally don't know how to merge the Adaptec BIOS update into the Proserva BIOS. Don't you need some software for this which recalculates the checksum once you've merged it, otherwise you'd get checksum errors when trying to run it?

Hi feipoa, wasnt aware that your PM is about that system. So I would propose: Before trying to patch that 512Kb BIOS you should try to disable the SCSI-support in the Mainboard BIOS.
Then put the Adaptec 2940UW ROM on i.e. a network card and look if everything works like expected. May be difficult as its 64kb in size and most network cards wont support this?

Modifying the Mainboard bios should be not too difficult as its not compressed, you can see clear text in it:

Adaptec AIC-7880 Ultra/Ultra W BIOS v1.24
(c) 1996 Adaptec, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

BIOS Installed Successfully!

BIOS not installed!

Reply 199 of 394, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, very easy? Its a ROM in a ROM. Look at starting adress 50000h. The SCSI-ROM on the Mainboard starts with "55 AA". 3rd byte is "40". Thats the length of the ROM *512. Thats 64d * 512 = 32kb.

The Adaptec ROM starts with "55 AA", then "46". Therefore its bigger in size.

You have to check if there is some space left in the 512kb mainboard BIOS to fit the Adaptec ROM in it...