Common searches

New forum suggestions/Feedback

Topic actions

Reply 260 of 516, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Never knew that sites can be added to the home screen on my phone.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 261 of 516, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you for all you work in supporting this forum.

I have just noticed that the rendition of [list=1]<title>[*]<entry 1>[*]<entry 2>…[/list] has changed and now in SIV support for 386/486/586 class + Alpha CPUs and 3dfx + S3 + SiS + Matrox + XGI + old ATI + NVidia GPUs - Testing Help <title> is numbered as 1 when before there was no number. I could move <title> outside the list, but when I tried this I got a blank line that I do not wish to have. If this intentional or a bug please?

I am also wondering if it would be possible to allow me to attach > 5 items to that post and/or > 5MiB .ZIP files to that post? If not can a new 2nd post be inserted that I could edit please?

Reply 262 of 516, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
red-ray wrote on 2020-01-16, 20:21:

I have just noticed that the rendition of [list=1]<title>[*]<entry 1>[*]<entry 2>…[/list] has changed and now in SIV support for 386/486/586 class + Alpha CPUs and 3dfx + S3 + SiS + Matrox + XGI + old ATI + NVidia GPUs - Testing Help <title> is numbered as 1 when before there was no number. I could move <title> outside the list, but when I tried this I got a blank line that I do not wish to have. If this intentional or a bug please?

Putting anything other than list items into a list is not valid BBCode. The new parser fixes that invalid markup for you. There isn’t a way to remove the spacing between text and lists. Sorry about that, but it looks like you may have already found a solution with new collapsing sections. Looks good! 👍

I am also wondering if it would be possible to allow me to attach > 5 items to that post and/or > 5MiB .ZIP files to that post? If not can a new 2nd post be inserted that I could edit please?

There’s not currently a way to conditionally allow some posts to contain extra/large attachments, nor is there a way to insert extra posts since this would require changing history (posts are sorted by post date). I’ve made a note to ask if there are any changes which the team want to make around these restrictions or if there’s an alternative that has been used in the past in cases like this.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 263 of 516, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Snover wrote on 2020-01-17, 03:26:
Putting anything other than list items into a list is not valid BBCode. The new parser fixes that invalid markup for you. There […]
Show full quote

Putting anything other than list items into a list is not valid BBCode. The new parser fixes that invalid markup for you. There isn’t a way to remove the spacing between text and lists. Sorry about that, but it looks like you may have already found a solution with new collapsing sections. Looks good! 👍

There’s not currently a way to conditionally allow some posts to contain extra/large attachments, nor is there a way to insert extra posts since this would require changing history (posts are sorted by post date). I’ve made a note to ask if there are any changes which the team want to make around these restrictions or if there’s an alternative that has been used in the past in cases like this.

Thank you for looking into this and OK about the restrictions. Given you can't insert a post can you delete post 2 so my post 3 becomes post 2 please?

Reply 264 of 516, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but I think there may be a bug in the attachments function. When I try to attach a fifth photo to a post, I get an error message saying that the maximum number of attachments is five. It just happened in this thread: Re: Recreation of a non-existent box for Multisound Classic

But I do have other posts from before the update that still do have five attachments per post.

Reply 265 of 516, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
boxpressed wrote on 2020-01-17, 19:17:

Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but I think there may be a bug in the attachments function. When I try to attach a fifth photo to a post, I get an error message saying that the maximum number of attachments is five. It just happened in this thread: Re: Recreation of a non-existent box for Multisound Classic

SIV support for 386/486/586 class + Alpha CPUs and 3dfx + S3 + SiS + Matrox + XGI + old ATI + NVidia GPUs - Testing Help had five attachments and I just removed an old SIV32L.zip and then I tried to add the latest beta I was also told "Only 5 attachments are allowed per post."

Reply 266 of 516, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Forgot to add that this error "crashes" the post where you are not allowed to submit or preview (greyed out). You have to use the back function on the browser or just close the window.

Reply 267 of 516, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
boxpressed wrote on 2020-01-17, 19:17:

But I do have other posts from before the update that still do have five attachments per post.

This should be fixed now. Thanks for reporting it!

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 268 of 516, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
red-ray wrote on 2020-01-17, 09:10:

Thank you for looking into this and OK about the restrictions. Given you can't insert a post can you delete post 2 so my post 3 becomes post 2 please?

Not sure what you're asking for. Are you asking for the deletion of mwdmeyer's first post in that topic?

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 269 of 516, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stiletto wrote on 2020-01-18, 07:41:

Not sure what you're asking for. Are you asking for the deletion of mwdmeyer's first post in that topic?

Yes please, better still merge his first post into his second and delete his first one. I will then adjust my third post and be able to sensibly attach files to my second post to overcome the five attachments per post limit.

Reply 270 of 516, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've seen on a lot of websites that if custom fonts with symbols can't be displayed it will actually display the button caption (I guess this has also something to do with machine readability for accessibility?) ... so instead of there being a box with the character code it would actually show "log in" or "edit" when the custom font symbol does not get displayed.

I wonder if that is something that could be implemented easily maybe?

Reply 271 of 516, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
red-ray wrote on 2020-01-18, 08:22:
Stiletto wrote on 2020-01-18, 07:41:

Yes please, better still merge his first post into his second and delete his first one. I will then adjust my third post and be able to sensibly attach files to my second post to overcome the five attachments per post limit.

Okay, I did my best.

Stiletto

Reply 273 of 516, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay, so this new forum has the same kind of annoyances as all of the other forums I use that use the same software, and both are related to user experience design:

- In the pages that display thread titles only, there are no page numbers shown anymore. This means I have to click on the thread title, and then go to the correct page (2-3 clicks vs. 1 click in old situation).
- There's no dropdown box to go to another forum at the bottom of the pages. Instead you have to go back to the top, go back to the forum overview, and then select the proper forum (multiple clicks vs. 1 click in old situation).

Reply 274 of 516, by Tore

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Snover wrote on 2020-01-08, 06:36:

One person’s clutter is another person’s ability to track the line to the end, so I am not sure how realistic it is to suggest to remove the striping.

There are already lines and bars in place to help with where the next post starts and ends though.

Snover wrote on 2020-01-08, 06:36:

Which icons are the uncommon ones?

The one that comes to mind immediately is the power icon for logging in and out. There are no good icons for this, but the most common is the door with an arrow. Hence why most GUI use an icon and the text "Log in" and "Log out" alternatively use "Sign" instead of "Log". The allow icon for the full reply mode, there are no good icon for this either.

I did provide a quick and dirty idea. With the post, I'm emphasizing the quick and dirty part as it obviously needs a bit of work yet. (Background colour is a bit too desaturated, the header for posts and such might not be the best etc, could need some more lines or background colours instead of only relying on proximity, button text needs to be adjusted for smaller screens etc)
https://tore.cnc-comm.com/stuff/vogonstopic.png

Reply 275 of 516, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Keyboard shortcuts for submitting a reply in either full editor and preview mode or in quick reply (Ctrl+Enter/Return) instead of clicking submit.

However, I know it's going to be complicated to do something like that, but, it's only as a suggestion and not mandatory.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 276 of 516, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote on 2020-01-01, 12:59:

While the forum's getting changes, all I can suggest right now is collapsable quotes. Some are chronic big quoters that leave tiny posts (not naming names)

This is done now. The implementation is not great due to limitations in the renderer but I hope it is serviceable. Let me know if there is anything that seems like it needs adjusting.

imi wrote on 2020-01-18, 15:26:

I've seen on a lot of websites that if custom fonts with symbols can't be displayed it will actually display the button caption (I guess this has also something to do with machine readability for accessibility?) ... so instead of there being a box with the character code it would actually show "log in" or "edit" when the custom font symbol does not get displayed.

I wonder if that is something that could be implemented easily maybe?

This uses (abuses) ligatures to perform glyph replacement. It causes an ugly flash of text for users on slower connections if it’s not combined with scripting to suppress the rendering until the font is loaded. The fallback rendering would not be very usable anyway since the icons on the site are either designed to be constrained to a fixed size (so will break the layout) or already have text labels (so are redundant). If you look at other sites that use the ligature method, it often ends up looking like zalgo text when icons fail to load, and it would be similar here. So, this isn’t a good solution.

As much as I want to be helpful to you, turning off antialiasing and then turning off web fonts is an artificial problem. I’ve rebuilt the font to try to improve rendering on Windows, but if you still really feel like you need to have no AA at all, including greyscale AA, a better way for you to override the text rendering that doesn’t also require turning off web fonts is to use something like Stylus, and I would recommend doing that for now.

yawetaG wrote on 2020-01-19, 14:00:

- In the pages that display thread titles only, there are no page numbers shown anymore. This means I have to click on the thread title, and then go to the correct page (2-3 clicks vs. 1 click in old situation).

What’s the correct page you are trying to go to?

yawetaG wrote on 2020-01-19, 14:00:

- There's no dropdown box to go to another forum at the bottom of the pages. Instead you have to go back to the top, go back to the forum overview, and then select the proper forum (multiple clicks vs. 1 click in old situation).

Is this something that you do frequently? What’s the usual reason you’re jumping to a different forum from the bottom of a page? I ask this to understand if there might be a better way to organise the content you want to access.

devius wrote on 2020-01-20, 12:11:

Just one more issue caused by the custom cursor.

Comments like these do not add anything positive or useful to the discussion and will not help you to get what you want from others. I had to say this once already in the welcome thread and I’ll say it it again here: it’s OK to disagree, it is not OK to be a dick about it. Please consider your goals before you start dogpiling here.

Tore wrote on 2020-01-19, 16:38:

There are already lines and bars in place to help with where the next post starts and ends though.

Yes, though I am not sure how helpful the lines are in that regard due to how they create movement around the content. Zebra striping is slightly more effective than lining, I don’t feel like it is harming anything (other than the problem with dithering which I am working on), and I don’t want to remove visual elements if doing so moves the design toward increased flatness.

The one that comes to mind immediately is the power icon for logging in and out. There are no good icons for this, but the most common is the door with an arrow. Hence why most GUI use an icon and the text "Log in" and "Log out" alternatively use "Sign" instead of "Log".

I’ll think about replacing it with an in-door icon, though I honestly don’t know how unclear this could be—there are only three choices when you aren’t logged in and it’s in the customary position in the layout. There’s not room on the narrowest screens to add a label, and replacing the button with a hamburger menu button just to show a single separate login button with a label seems like a much worse idea to me.

The allow icon for the full reply mode, there are no good icon for this either.

Sorry, which icon? (What’s the tooltip label?)

I did provide a quick and dirty idea. With the post, I'm emphasizing the quick and dirty part as it obviously needs a bit of work yet. (Background colour is a bit too desaturated, the header for posts and such might not be the best etc, could need some more lines or background colours instead of only relying on proximity, button text needs to be adjusted for smaller screens etc)
https://tore.cnc-comm.com/stuff/vogonstopic.png

Hey, thanks. I appreciate your taking the time to experiment. I want to be clear up front that it’s extremely unlikely that significant changes will be made. There are constraints which you can’t know about, and I don’t want you to spend a ton of time only to receive negative feedback. For example, I was told it’s critical that user metadata take as little vertical space as possible, so the change to put labels above metadata is actually a reversion to an earlier design iteration. 😀

bjwil1991 wrote on 2020-01-19, 19:26:

Keyboard shortcuts for submitting a reply in either full editor and preview mode or in quick reply (Ctrl+Enter/Return) instead of clicking submit.

I’m always a bit nervous about introducing shortcuts like that since it makes it easy to accidentally trigger an incomplete submission, especially if somebody is used to a different editor where e.g. enter inserts a new paragraph and ctrl+enter inserts a newline—though I can understand why it could be desirable. I’ll think about it a bit.

OK, that’s it from me for now. Thank you to everyone who continues to provide constructive feedback. Please let me know if there is any comment which I missed which you feel is important for me to respond to directly.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 277 of 516, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Snover if you addressed the font issue previously I did not see it. The current font is really not a very easy to read font especially for numbers. Could you change the font to something that is more horizontally consistent at keast for the Old Skool theme?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 278 of 516, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote on 2020-01-22, 00:56:

While the forum's getting changes, all I can suggest right now is collapsable quotes. Some are chronic big quoters that leave tiny posts (not naming names)

This is done now. The implementation is not great due to limitations in the renderer but I hope it is serviceable. Let me know if there is anything that seems like it needs adjusting.

I like this feature, but I think it'd be a little more intuitive if it displayed the first line or ~15-20 words of the collapsed quote. Makes it easier to identify what people are responding to without expanding the whole thing.

E.g.:

Quoty McQuoteFace wrote on 2020-01-22, 04:01:

I like this feature, but I think it'd be a little more intuitive if [...]
Show quote

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 279 of 516, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xjas wrote on 2020-01-22, 04:01:
I like this feature, but I think it'd be a little more intuitive if it displayed the first line or ~15-20 words of the collapsed […]
Show full quote
Snover wrote on 2020-01-22, 00:56:

I like this feature, but I think it'd be a little more intuitive if it displayed the first line or ~15-20 words of the collapsed quote. Makes it easier to identify what people are responding to without expanding the whole thing.

E.g.:

Quoty McQuoteFace wrote on 2020-01-22, 04:01:

I like this feature, but I think it'd be a little more intuitive if [...]
Show quote

At the very least, I would use the new DETAILS tag as a button to theme the link to Show Quote or something.

As formatted, it's not especially clear that you can click "Show Quote" to have it display the rest of the text.

Stiletto