VOGONS

Preventing bad caps

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 40, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Dude that is true, but Iv yet to experience their failure. Not meaning that it will not happen, but when it does they pop and you just need to swap em out.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 21 of 40, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ODwilly wrote:

Bad tantalum caps are fine, as far as I know. At least until they literally EXPLODE. (no joke)

Is there a way to detect upcoming failures? I surely hope so.

Dedicated Windows 95 Aficionado for good reasons:
http://toastytech.com/evil/setup.html

Reply 22 of 40, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All capacitors go out of spec and blow at some stage... it is both unavoidable and inevitable.

Get a soldering iron and learn to solder! 😎

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 23 of 40, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
computergeek92 wrote:
ODwilly wrote:

Bad tantalum caps are fine, as far as I know. At least until they literally EXPLODE. (no joke)

Is there a way to detect upcoming failures? I surely hope so.

The only way you can measure a cap is to de-solder it from the board it is on and measure it with a meter to find specific capacitance and compare it against it's rating, or conductance with a DMM if you want to perform a basic open / closed circuit test i.e. to see if it's dead!

Once you de-solder it though... there is little point putting the same part back in, so you may as well fit a new one.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

Reply 24 of 40, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think tantalum's can be better than most caps in the sense that they dont ruin parts mostly. EDIT:IDK I am to drunk to realistically be unbiased

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 25 of 40, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ODwilly wrote:

I think tantalum's can be better than most caps in the sense that they dont ruin parts mostly. EDIT:IDK I am to drunk to realistically be unbiased

You're right... all the tants that have blown on me just destroy themselves like a kamikaze lemming. The rest of the board always remains intact... although there is an open connection where the lemming used to be... erm, I mean tant cap.

I was with you... 9 hours ago, on the water now! 😵

Reply 27 of 40, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey I noticed that on every slot 1 cpu there is a single yellow tantalum cap. (on the cpu board) Would the thing eventually blow up?? Has this ever happened to anyone?

Reply 28 of 40, by Sedrosken

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I heard UXWBill call tantalum caps this once, I think, and it's stuck for me ever since -- he called them "tantrum" capacitors in some kind of tongue-tied situation, as I remember. I've had 2 tantalums go 'bang', as well as plenty of P4 boards ruined by vented electrolytics. To be clear, I do know how to solder -- I just don't really have the coordination to do it well without spending hours on it, my hands are just too jittery.

Nanto: H61H2-AM3, 4GB, GTS250 1GB, SB0730, 512GB SSD, XP USP4
Rithwic: EP-61BXM-A, Celeron 300A@450, 768MB, GF2MX400/V2, YMF744, 128GB SD2IDE, 98SE (Kex)
Cragstone: Alaris Cougar, 486BL2-66, 16MB, GD5428 VLB, CT2800, 16GB SD2IDE, 95CNOIE

Reply 29 of 40, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ODwilly wrote:

Dude that is true, but Iv yet to experience their failure. Not meaning that it will not happen, but when it does they pop and you just need to swap em out.

It's like a fire cracker, scared the shit outa me! 😲

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 30 of 40, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought a new in box Everex EGA card earlier this year and it had a bad tantalum cap on it that was shorted out and would prevent my IBM 5150 from powering on when the card was installed. Not surprising, considering the card was 25+ years old. The cap didn't pop or shoot sparks, it simply didn't work.

Just to get it done fast I replaced it with an electrolytic of the same value that I had lying around and it has worked flawlessly ever since.

As for other types of caps... Plan on replacing ones from the early to mid 2000s at some point, try to keep the system cool, clean and cleanly powered. The worst caps I've seen have been in systems that were clogged with dust and being powered by garbage PSUs that were also clogged with dust.

Other caps that I've seen go bad frequently are mid-90s SMD aluminum caps like the ones find on early Voodoo Graphics cards... IBM Model M2 keyboards seem to have a similar problem with these. I have a pristine looking M2 that is nonfunctional due to several traces on the flexible plastic key-PCB (can't remember the word for it) being blackened, likely caused by the leaking SMD cap I had to replace. I'd love to get it working because it is spotless externally... but that cap ruined the internals.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 31 of 40, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote:
I bought a new in box Everex EGA card earlier this year and it had a bad tantalum cap on it that was shorted out and would preve […]
Show full quote

I bought a new in box Everex EGA card earlier this year and it had a bad tantalum cap on it that was shorted out and would prevent my IBM 5150 from powering on when the card was installed. Not surprising, considering the card was 25+ years old. The cap didn't pop or shoot sparks, it simply didn't work.

Just to get it done fast I replaced it with an electrolytic of the same value that I had lying around and it has worked flawlessly ever since.

As for other types of caps... Plan on replacing ones from the early to mid 2000s at some point, try to keep the system cool, clean and cleanly powered. The worst caps I've seen have been in systems that were clogged with dust and being powered by garbage PSUs that were also clogged with dust.

Other caps that I've seen go bad frequently are mid-90s SMD aluminum caps like the ones find on early Voodoo Graphics cards... IBM Model M2 keyboards seem to have a similar problem with these. I have a pristine looking M2 that is nonfunctional due to several traces on the flexible plastic key-PCB (can't remember the word for it) being blackened, likely caused by the leaking SMD cap I had to replace. I'd love to get it working because it is spotless externally... but that cap ruined the internals.

So you found out the card did not work due a silently failed tantalem cap? I would've thrown out the card thinking it died from esd or electromigration. You are a genius.

Reply 32 of 40, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
computergeek92 wrote:
Ozzuneoj wrote:
I bought a new in box Everex EGA card earlier this year and it had a bad tantalum cap on it that was shorted out and would preve […]
Show full quote

So you found out the card did not work due a silently failed tantalem cap? I would've thrown out the card thinking it died from esd or electromigration. You are a genius.

I don't know squat about circuits. I knew that tantalums that haven't been used in decades are the most common cause of problems in old cards like these, so I did some googling. By chance I stumbled across an old thread where someone had a very similar card that had failed and shot sparks out of a tantalum cap. I documented it all here because I was amazed that I was actually able to fix something for once. 🤣

Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 33 of 40, by orinoko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sedrosken wrote:

I heard UXWBill call tantalum caps this once, I think, and it's stuck for me ever since -- he called them "tantrum" capacitors in some kind of tongue-tied situation, as I remember. I've had 2 tantalums go 'bang', as well as plenty of P4 boards ruined by vented electrolytics. To be clear, I do know how to solder -- I just don't really have the coordination to do it well without spending hours on it, my hands are just too jittery.

I think that was intentional 😉 He's famous for his smoke tests after all!

Reply 34 of 40, by twood1130

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote:

Wheren't there also bad caps around in the early 90s ?
I heard that the handheld consoles from Sega had them installed.

Bad capacitors are frequently found in the Sega Game Gear, and almost all of the NEC Turbgrafx / PCengine products. Frequently all you need to do to fix them is solder in new ones. Some people even sell capacitor kits for them.

Reply 35 of 40, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On some boards I often find that only the VRM out caps with 6.3V are shot. They are usually 3300 uF or similar. AFAIK they "in front" of Vcore and get a pretty decent workout and some high temperatures. Tower coolers apparently aren't that great for these caps, the older style sunflower coolers seem to look after them better.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 36 of 40, by orinoko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

On some boards I often find that only the VRM out caps with 6.3V are shot. They are usually 3300 uF or similar. AFAIK they "in front" of Vcore and get a pretty decent workout and some high temperatures. Tower coolers apparently aren't that great for these caps, the older style sunflower coolers seem to look after them better.

Yeah the high temp from heatsinks isn't good for electrolytics. I have a dual socket 370 where a few caps was placed right next to one of the sockets and they cooked. I ended up relocating one of the capacitors away from its original position so I could mount new heatsinks to the board. Fun little project :p

Reply 37 of 40, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On higher powered boards, I like to replace those with polymer caps. Lower ESR and high ripple current work well here.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 38 of 40, by cde

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just received and repaired a KT7A (using a kit from badcaps.net). Strangely all the JACKCON were completely fine, however there were a bunch of "JPCON" that went bad. I changed them all just in case.

The board is not fully working, even after the repair. In particular the keyboard PS/2 port and the parallel port seem dead. However since the BIOS has great support for USB keyboard this is not a huge issue. OTOH the mouse PS/2 and ISA ports are fine.

Attachments

Reply 39 of 40, by ifrit05

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Aw, the Great Capacitor Plague. Affected a lot of Mac's as well.

I have an iMac G5 that literally had all the caps blown. That was fun to replace.

P3B-F v1.03 | VIA C3 Nehemiah 1GHz @ 1.33GHz| 4x128 PC133 | GeForce4 Ti 4200 | OPL3-SA3+DreamBlaster X2GS