User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FrostyTheSnowman wrote on 2020-01-24, 19:14:
appiah4 wrote on 2020-01-24, 18:19:

You sure do love that Chenbro case 😁

One might call me a Chen-BRO. 😁

In all seriousness though it *is* a dope case - 90% tool-less, server-grade with lots of airflow, comes in both black *and* white and is totally rigid even when empty. 😉

They may not be flashy, but they're beasts!

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 22 of 31, by FrostyTheSnowman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gdjacobs wrote on 2020-01-25, 00:32:
appiah4 wrote on 2020-01-24, 18:19:

You sure do love that Chenbro case 😁

In all seriousness though it *is* a dope case - 90% tool-less, server-grade with lots of airflow, comes in both black *and* white and is totally rigid even when empty. 😉

They may not be flashy, but they're beasts!

imi wrote on 2020-01-25, 00:51:

ba-dum-tss

yeah they're really nice ^^

^^ these two know where it's at 😉

All aboard the Chenbro party train!

Attachments

• treat_yourself.gif
    Filename
    treat_yourself.gif
    File size
    319.01 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

My DOS/Win98 Hardware Compatible Retro Rigs (486/POD/K6-3/PPRO/P2OD/P3/P3-S/P4/Xeon)

Reply 24 of 31, by FrostyTheSnowman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
imi wrote on 2020-01-26, 22:57:

there were a few on sale NiB on ebay a few months ago... iirc they went for €100+ not quite my price range for an old case unfortunately ^^

Definitely a pricey case - I have been buying mine through eBay, Newegg, Office Depot and Walmart for about $110 shipped (model is SR209) not sure about outside the U.S. though. 🙁

My DOS/Win98 Hardware Compatible Retro Rigs (486/POD/K6-3/PPRO/P2OD/P3/P3-S/P4/Xeon)

Reply 26 of 31, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FrostyTheSnowman wrote on 2020-01-24, 16:29:

That sounds like a solder joint issue to me, caused by thermal expansion of the motherboard... 55c is hot, but not 'freeze the computer' hot - these CPUs don't start throttling their speed until 75-80c, so likely a motherboard issue. 🙁

yeah my suspicion too. behind the retention bracket is visually bulged ;( i have had it about a year and in the last month the SATA ports have died and now this

😀)))))))

Reply 27 of 31, by FrostyTheSnowman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
foil_fresh wrote on 2020-01-28, 03:48:

That sounds like a solder joint issue to me, caused by thermal expansion of the motherboard... 55c is hot, but not 'freeze the computer' hot - these CPUs don't start throttling their speed until 75-80c, so likely a motherboard issue. 🙁

yeah my suspicion too. behind the retention bracket is visually bulged ;( i have had it about a year and in the last month the SATA ports have died and now this

😀)))))))

I've noticed a lot of 478 motherboards have 'the bulge' (i.e. the oem heatsink puts enough pressure against the 478 socket to bow the motherboard underneath it), even back when these motherboards were new it was fairly common... I always hated seeing it because over time the solder joints will FOR SURE crack from thermal expansion.

When I purchased my AIMB-742 it was NOS, and instead of installing the heatsink as-is (would have bowed the motherboard) I decided to put spacers between the motherboard and the retention bracket (moving the bracket farther away from the motherboard and decreasing strain on the socket).

Reply 28 of 31, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FrostyTheSnowman wrote on 2020-02-03, 17:35:

😀)))))))

I've noticed a lot of 478 motherboards have 'the bulge' (i.e. the oem heatsink puts enough pressure against the 478 socket to bow the motherboard underneath it), even back when these motherboards were new it was fairly common... I always hated seeing it because over time the solder joints will FOR SURE crack from thermal expansion.

When I purchased my AIMB-742 it was NOS, and instead of installing the heatsink as-is (would have bowed the motherboard) I decided to put spacers between the motherboard and the retention bracket (moving the bracket farther away from the motherboard and decreasing strain on the socket).

good call on the spacers. might do the same, i have an Asus P4R800-VM on the way as a replacement. hopefully it hasnt been used as much as the current dead board, but if i run into issues i'm switching over to athlon 64 so that i can continue using this hefty awesome copper cooler.

how much height is on the spacers you're using? something small like 1-2mm?

cheers

Reply 29 of 31, by FrostyTheSnowman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
foil_fresh wrote on 2020-02-04, 07:21:
good call on the spacers. might do the same, i have an Asus P4R800-VM on the way as a replacement. hopefully it hasnt been used […]
Show full quote
FrostyTheSnowman wrote on 2020-02-03, 17:35:

😀)))))))

good call on the spacers. might do the same, i have an Asus P4R800-VM on the way as a replacement. hopefully it hasnt been used as much as the current dead board, but if i run into issues i'm switching over to athlon 64 so that i can continue using this hefty awesome copper cooler.

how much height is on the spacers you're using? something small like 1-2mm?

cheers

Yep, I just used a couple of #10 nylon washers to space the retention bracket out about 2-3mm on my AIMB-742 (your spacing will depend on your motherboard's bracket design though). 😀

Reply 31 of 31, by FrostyTheSnowman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here's a preview of my next build - this time dual socket 604!

OSes:

DOS, Windows 98 SE, Windows XP (32-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)

Specs:

Unknown brand OEM case
Intel SE7525GP2 (Socket 604) Motherboard (PCI-E/PCI-X/PCI)
Dual 3.8Ghz Xeon (Irwindale) CPUs w/64-bit support
8GB DDR1 ECC/REG RAM
PNY 120GB SATA SSD (2x)
Unknown brand PATA DVD+RW
ZIP 750 PATA
3.5" Floppy
Nvidia Geforce 1050 GTX 2GB PCI-E (DVI/DP/HDMI)
Creative 6760 (3dfx Banshee 16MB) PCI (VGA) w/PCI-E Bridge + 2" Bracket Mount Extension (made from wood, soon to be replaced with a plastic or metal equivalent)
ATI Rage XL 8MB PCI (VGA) (built-in)
Yamaha YMF724 PCI
600W ATX PSU

Pending parts:

HD-DVD/Bluray Drive (SATA -or- PATA)
Linksys USB1000 (ASIX AX88178 w/VSC8211XVW) USB (Internalized) - Win98 compatible USB gigabit!
USB 2.0 Hub (Internal)

Attachments

• front.jpg
    Filename
    front.jpg
    File size
    870.31 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • banshee_bridging.jpg
    Filename
    banshee_bridging.jpg
    File size
    895.84 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • inside.jpg
    Filename
    inside.jpg
    File size
    935 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • benchmark.jpg
    Filename
    benchmark.jpg
    File size
    971.72 KiB
    Views
    File license