VOGONS

Reply 320 of 929, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FreddyV wrote on 2020-01-24, 10:34:

DOSBox is bugged for 16 Bit replay with DMA 1 🙁

Luckily the developers have their own sub forum here. So I guess you should report that to them. 😀

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 321 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,

To see if it is working, you can check this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGP3_W1SKhw

Sorry for the sound, it was too loud and it is recorded with a Phone.
I definitely need to record directly the sound from the output.

I confirm it is much better in real 😀

Edit: I just tested Mod Master on a friend's 5150, it is doing the mixing at 13600Hz, on 4 Channels modules on a Sound Blaster Pro.

Reply 323 of 929, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FreddyV wrote on 2020-01-26, 15:33:

My Friend released his Video, 5150 Vs Amiga 500

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVmPVR1Xj9Y

Oh, that CGA snow! 😀 Still quite impressive for a slow 5150! I guess an AT would fare much better against the Amiga. The sound quality on the IBM was better, but the UI is of course more impressive and smooth on the Amiga.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 324 of 929, by Rodrik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello

It seems I lost my account here, so here I am again 😀
I hope you enjoyed my video. Yes the sound is different on the IBM compared to the Amiga, I don't remember how to turn off the default hardware filter of the Amiga. Also the IBM is a bit louder but has less impact on bass. Maybe not easy to ear since I do video with only an iPhone.
For the snow on the IBM with CGA, it's a known bug of this old card when writing directly into memory.

You are welcome to comment on the video even if it's in French.
Rodrik

Reply 326 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,

Here is the release 15.
I believe this one will be interesting for Root42 as it improved the sound quality even for the 8 Bit Output (BlasterBoard)

30/01/2020 Beta 15
- Corrected the Note Delay command (It was no more working)
- Corrected a problem in DOPE.MOD (One Octave was missing)
- Improved the Options menu
- All the options can be changed with the keyboard (first letter of the option name)
- Corrected the Command line help.
- Remove some french words here and there.
- 8 Bit Volume table precision improved. The volume level needs to be reduced (If you already adjusted it)
- 16 Bit Mixing Added, for 8 Bit output, and 16 Bit output on Sound Blaster 16. (Use mode memory: 16Kb)
- Stereo replay up to 44KHz (22KHz in 16 Bit)
- Number of Octave option now correctly loaded/Saved.
- Config file renamed (MODMXT.CFG)

Some advice to use this new version:
- If you customized the volume for some module, you will need to reduce it.
- Some module may "Crack" even with the default volume.
- It is difficult to feel the difference between 8 and 18 bit mixing, but if you try by reduce the volume, we can hear the difference quite rapidly.

I also suppose I am close to be able to release the Mod Master XT "Officially", as I did clean most of the interface and stability problems. (I Hope)

Attachments

• Filename
    MODMXT15.zip
    File size
    81 KiB
    Downloads
    84 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 328 of 929, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr.zeissler wrote on 2020-01-30, 19:20:

What soundcard has the 5150?

According to his earlier post it’s a SoundBlaster Pro.

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 331 of 929, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here are my tests with the latest beta:

https://youtu.be/ErTkQSvh_ls

I have tested with the SnarkBarker and the BlasterBoard. I used 22 and 44 kHz, switched between 8 and 16 bit mixing (I guess).

I must say the SnarkBarker is way worse due to it's hefty low pass filter. The BlasterBoard sounds great with 22kHz at 16 bit now. I think it's better than at 8 bit, but it's hard to tell actually.

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 332 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
root42 wrote on 2020-01-30, 21:37:
Here are my tests with the latest beta: […]
Show full quote

I have tested with the SnarkBarker and the BlasterBoard. I used 22 and 44 kHz, switched between 8 and 16 bit mixing (I guess).

I must say the SnarkBarker is way worse due to it's hefty low pass filter. The BlasterBoard sounds great with 22kHz at 16 bit now. I think it's better than at 8 bit, but it's hard to tell actually.

Hi,

Yes I hear the difference between the BlasterBoard and the other card. It is like in the Rodrick Video, comparing the 5150 with the Amiga using its filter.

The difference between 8 bit and 16 bit mixing, with 8 bit output is on the last 2 bit only. If we reduce the volume , we can hear a big difference anyway.

I also saw in the last post from LABs that the BlasterBoard output is 12 Bit with an interpolation. I will see with him if he can implement 16 Bit DMA command to 12 Bit. It can be fun to test.

Now I work to add VGZ/VGM Files by starting SBVGM.EXE To have Mod Master playing Tandy and Adlib music through SBVGM 😀

Reply 333 of 929, by LABS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FreddyV wrote on 2020-01-31, 08:23:

I also saw in the last post from LABs that the BlasterBoard output is 12 Bit with an interpolation. I will see with him if he can implement 16 Bit DMA command to 12 Bit. It can be fun to test.

OMG 🤦 where did you see it in my last post? There is no such thing, BB has an 8-bit DAC.
A long time ago I was guessing that it can be possible, so I include 8-pin DIP socket for DAC, so anyone could change it to 12-bit easily if it will ever be implemented.

Blasterboard: DIY SB2-compatible sound card on ATmega MCU
Sonic Buster 8: New 8-bit ISA sound card

Reply 334 of 929, by LABS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Show full quote

Thanks for the comparison! Very pleased with the difference too, very inspiring. Can I borrow the video link to my BB thread?
And thanks Freddy for 16-bit mixing that does magic and for the BlasterBoard support. Great stuff.

Blasterboard: DIY SB2-compatible sound card on ATmega MCU
Sonic Buster 8: New 8-bit ISA sound card

Reply 336 of 929, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
LABS wrote on 2020-01-31, 16:19:
Show full quote

Thanks for the comparison! Very pleased with the difference too, very inspiring. Can I borrow the video link to my BB thread?

Sure you can link it!

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 337 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
LABS wrote on 2020-01-31, 16:00:

OMG 🤦 where did you see it in my last post? There is no such thing, BB has an 8-bit DAC.
A long time ago I was guessing that it can be possible, so I include 8-pin DIP socket for DAC, so anyone could change it to 12-bit easily if it will ever be implemented.

I did read it in another post probably, I am reading too much 😀
Did you add interpolation ?

Reply 338 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DevanWolf wrote on 2020-01-31, 16:22:

Have you tested SUBGIANT.S3M and SPACVOY.S3M each time you tested your new versions? (And have I asked you to upload a video with those songs I sent to you?)

I did correct various things in the files you sent me, but I did not chech these 2 music.

Is there something special in them still not supported ?