New forum suggestions/Feedback

Topic actions

Reply 280 of 516, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

a bug
when you've saved a message and then open it again to edit, you may press buttons above for actions.
the button for a spoiler "Collapsible section: [details]text[/details]" should input the text according to the said description
[details][/details]
but it does the other. it inputs
[details][summary][/summary][/details]

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 281 of 516, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote on 2020-01-22, 03:07:

Snover if you addressed the font issue previously I did not see it. The current font is really not a very easy to read font especially for numbers. Could you change the font to something that is more horizontally consistent at keast for the Old Skool theme?

There’s no plan to replace the current default font with a different font. There’s also no plan to switch to using lining figures in body text unless you can point me to some research which demonstrates a clear benefit. The only research I can find on this topic (DOI 10.1037/h0069888) supports the current approach. I understand this may not be true for you in particular, and I am sorry that this is causing a problem, since my aim is to make things better. In this case I would recommend for right now that you override the font on your computer so that you can pick exactly what works best for you. More discussions regarding this I believe are in this topic, but just in case, all you should need to put in Stylus is:

:root { font-family: "Whatever Font You Like", sans-serif; }

xjas wrote on 2020-01-22, 04:01:

I like this feature, but I think it'd be a little more intuitive if it displayed the first line or ~15-20 words of the collapsed quote. Makes it easier to identify what people are responding to without expanding the whole thing.

phpBB uses some custom parser based on XSLT (😩👎) which doesn’t even support all the XSLT 1.0 features so it is unreasonably difficult to make it do smart things. I’ve done my best to add a snippet from the first paragraph of the quote. It will not always be correct since as far as I can tell I can’t filter away undesirable data from nested tags at all, nor can I break on word boundaries. Hopefully this is better now. Let me know.

Stiletto wrote on 2020-01-22, 20:21:

At the very least, I would use the new DETAILS tag as a button to theme the link to Show Quote or something.

As formatted, it's not especially clear that you can click "Show Quote" to have it display the rest of the text.

The full detail button felt too big in the area and a simple treatment with a normal link colour would let malicious users masquerade links as truncated quote buttons so I didn’t want to do that either. I’ve tried to find a middle ground; hopefully this works better. Let me know.

Tertz wrote on 2020-01-26, 02:35:
a bug when you've saved a message and then open it again to edit, you may press buttons above for actions. the button for a spoi […]
Show full quote

a bug
when you've saved a message and then open it again to edit, you may press buttons above for actions.
the button for a spoiler "Collapsible section: [details]text[/details]" should input the text according to the said description
[details][/details]
but it does the other. it inputs
[details][summary][/summary][/details]

I’ve updated the tooltip to more accurately reflect the available options for the details tag. Thanks!

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 282 of 516, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Snover wrote on 2020-01-26, 21:35:
There’s no plan to replace the current default font with a different font. There’s also no plan to switch to using lining figure […]
Show full quote
appiah4 wrote on 2020-01-22, 03:07:

Snover if you addressed the font issue previously I did not see it. The current font is really not a very easy to read font especially for numbers. Could you change the font to something that is more horizontally consistent at keast for the Old Skool theme?

There’s no plan to replace the current default font with a different font. There’s also no plan to switch to using lining figures in body text unless you can point me to some research which demonstrates a clear benefit. The only research I can find on this topic (DOI 10.1037/h0069888) supports the current approach. I understand this may not be true for you in particular, and I am sorry that this is causing a problem, since my aim is to make things better. In this case I would recommend for right now that you override the font on your computer so that you can pick exactly what works best for you. More discussions regarding this I believe are in this topic, but just in case, all you should need to put in Stylus is:

:root { font-family: "Whatever Font You Like", sans-serif; }

Thanks for the response Snover.

I can not provide you with academia on lining figures vs oldstyle figures, it is probably more preference than objective legibility that is at discussion here. All I can say is that oldstyle numerals were used with Serif fonts back in the day (Oldstyle for a reason) because several numerals (most importantly 0 and 1) were often confused with letters (most commonly O and l). This is not a major consideration for Sans Serif fonts such as MerriweatherSans that this page uses.

As a last exercise I want to share the front page rendered in Merriweather Sans (default) vs Ubuntu on my Lubuntu box. Just for your consideration and evaluation. If you really feel the oldstyle numeral fonts have a reason to be used on this page, so be it, I can override them. They are a major distractor to me when posting technical stuff that include alphanumerics..

Attachments

Last edited by appiah4 on 2020-01-27, 12:59. Edited 2 times in total.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 283 of 516, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have to admit, I am not a fan of the numerals in this font too. I have OCD, I try not to get disturbed by that thing, but it's almost impossible to ignore how the numbers aren't lined up correctly in this font.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 284 of 516, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Bruninho wrote on 2020-01-27, 12:58:

I have to admit, I am not a fan of the numerals in this font too. I have OCD, I try not to get disturbed by that thing, but it's almost impossible to ignore how the numbers aren't lined up correctly in this font.

So much this. The numbers are horrible with the current font. It makes it harder to read. It is just bad form.

012 - higher
345 - lower
6 - higher
7 - lower
8 - higher
9 - lower

why? why? why?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 286 of 516, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
imi wrote on 2020-01-27, 22:40:

if anyone know how to disable them via CSS please share, because changing the font doesn't seem to help for those.

It's an OpenType feature. This should work (from https://css-tricks.com/almanac/properties/f/f … ature-settings/):

:root { font-feature-settings: 'onum' 0; }

Personally, the old-style figures are the least of what bothers me with the default font. The horrible hinting takes that particular cake. 😉

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 288 of 516, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

trying to restore usability one step at a time ^^

it might not be super pretty but it makes the site a lot easier to use and especially to look at for me again.

vogons3.png
Filename
vogons3.png
File size
73.28 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 289 of 516, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Numbers fixed with Stylus... me lets out a huge sigh of relief.

Maybe I will change more stuff later.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 290 of 516, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok, so to disable the custom cursor, you can enter this in Stylus:

body * {
cursor: auto !important;
}

This will let your cursor stay however you have it set in your OS.

And if you want a pointer hand instead of the text selection cursor for links, add this: (This is only for "a" links. Not working for the buttons or other "span" links such as the username links). Adding one for span elements makes it have the pointer hand cursor on things that are not links though.

a:hover {
cursor: pointer !important;
}

Here is an animated gif of the different mouse cursor styles available. You will need to click on it for it to open up and be animated. That sure would be a nice feature to have.

mouse pointer css styles.gif
Filename
File size
194.56 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 291 of 516, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-01-30, 04:54:
Ok, so to disable the custom cursor, you can enter this in Stylus: […]
Show full quote

body * {
}

And if you want a pointer hand instead of the text selection cursor for links, add this: (This is only for "a" links. Not working for the buttons or other "span" links such as the username links). Adding one for span elements makes it have the pointer hand cursor on things that are not links though.

}

Here is an animated gif of the different mouse cursor styles available. You will need to click on it for it to open up and be animated. That sure would be a nice feature to have.

I provided CSS overrides for mouse in this post, you should’t need to figure it out on your own. 😀

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 292 of 516, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Snover wrote on 2020-01-30, 06:32:
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-01-30, 04:54:
Ok, so to disable the custom cursor, you can enter this in Stylus: […]
Show full quote

body * {
}

}

I provided CSS overrides for mouse in this post, you should’t need to figure it out on your own. 😀

Ok, cool. I looked a bit and didn't see anything posted already so I started messing with it myself.

I think cursor: auto is better than cursor: default though. That way it acts like normal (text select cursor) when mousing over regular text.

Modified yours a bit more to my liking:

:root,
span.bb_codeview_line {
}
input,
textarea,
details.bb_quote_body {
cursor: text !important;
}
:link,
:visited,
label,
select,
[type=submit],
[type=button],
[type=file],
[type=radio],
[type=checkbox],
.alert_close {
}

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 293 of 516, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is there a way to add the "Mark topics read" button to the "New posts" output?

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 294 of 516, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When edit a message, there is a button "Delete this post".
It would be more comfortable to have this button/option on a distance from "Submit" button, but not close to it. On far left or right side or below through an empty line, for example. It's not often used button to have it near "Submit" and even brighter colored. Also it's the closest to the center of the screen, where more appropriate would be to place "Submit" as the most used.
The easiest fix is to place it to the left from "Preview" button and with common colors, without red border.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 295 of 516, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What's up with the recent "reaction image" error when attaching images? I haven't seen any response from any mods about it.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 296 of 516, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-02-13, 17:04:

What's up with the recent "reaction image" error when attaching images? I haven't seen any response from any mods about it.

Sorry about that! Nobody posted to Style problems/bugs so I wasn’t immediately aware of the problem. It should be fixed now.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 297 of 516, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Snover wrote on 2020-02-13, 17:54:
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-02-13, 17:04:

Sorry about that! Nobody posted to Style problems/bugs so I wasn’t immediately aware of the problem. It should be fixed now.

Thanks!

I was looking back in my watched threads and didn't see that thread. It was because I forgot to add it.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 298 of 516, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VileR wrote on 2020-01-28, 00:06:

Personally, the old-style figures are the least of what bothers me with the default font. The horrible hinting takes that particular cake. 😉

Oh hey, just noticed that the hinting looks *much* better in Windows now. Happy to see it fixed! (What was changed? A different/auto-hinted version of the same font?)

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 299 of 516, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does the logo still need that hat?

Although it’s almost carnival here in Rio... 🤣

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!