Common searches

Welcome to the updated VOGONS

Topic actions

Reply 500 of 743, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, sometimes I'd like to quote more than one post to reply all them in one post. being able to view the thread while replying and quoting them at the same time is a great feature.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 501 of 743, by Norton Commander

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't know if this has been mentioned before but it appears as though links to images were lost for certain posts after the migration.

Before migration (Courtesy web.archive.org):
https://web.archive.org/web/20180104193105/ht … php?f=7&t=39012

vog.png

After migration:
Transfer file via Serial with DOS

vog2.png

This is not a case of a dead link, the same url is still accessible:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41gxhwM … OPL._SX385_.jpg

Thoughts?

Reply 502 of 743, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's because VOGONS runs on HTTPS, but the image is embedded via HTTP. So your browser doesn't load it for security reasons.

I think that's been mentioned before, but the thread is already very lengthy and I can't find the post.

It also seems like Chrome still tries to load the image via HTTPS instead, but the server is not correctly configured for that and uses a wrong certificate (for cloudfront.net instead of images-amazon.com):

https://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41gxhwMpOPL._SX385_.jpg net::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID

You can add the image to the post as an attachment or use an image host that works correctly with HTTPS and it will work.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 503 of 743, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just tried to upload a file that was just > 5MiB and the error reported looks wonky to me, what I got was:

SIV32A.zip (5
MiB
) exceeds the maximum allowed file size of 5 <abbr role="text presentation" title="mebibytes" aria-label="mebibytes">MiB</abbr>.

Reply 504 of 743, by rfc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know I'm a bit late to the party but… so many thanks for the upgrade.

I'm usually a hater when it comes to things changing, old habits and stuff; but this? This update? I haven't seen such an improvement of a site, where it filled me with joy, in a decade 🎉

So, many many thanks for this 🙇‍♀️

Reply 505 of 743, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Daniël Oosterhuis wrote on 2020-01-06, 12:07:

EDIT: And the fact everything is CC. I now know this already was a thing before the redesign, and at least it's clear now, but I'd very much like to be able to disable that for at least photos. Otherwise I'm going to pull all my photos from the site, and do external image linking as to preserve my copyrights on those photos.

I genuinely do not understand the resistance to using a creative commons license for some photos of hardware. Could you please explain, so that I may understand?

konc wrote on 2020-01-18, 09:34:
Snover wrote on 2020-01-17, 20:11:

I agree with what Dominus said on this. For what it is worth, I have been monitoring theme settings of active users ever since the redesign.

This will show what people prefer, but not how happy they are with it. Τhe lesser of two evils.

devius wrote on 2020-01-17, 21:39:
Snover wrote on 2020-01-17, 20:11:

For what it is worth, I have been monitoring theme settings of active users ever since the redesign.

And are you ready to share the results?

I’d like to share it, and if I thought people would use the data constructively then I would, but there has been enough overt hostility already that I don’t have confidence in a positive outcome. There isn’t much that anyone else can do with this data anyway, so any upside seems limited to possibly quieting down a couple of people, and the downside is totally derailing this topic.

The intent of my remark was to stress that I’m listening to feedback, and I’m also using the limited signals I have from the other 90% of active VOGONS members who have been satisfied enough to not remark here at all, and I don’t object to looking at more structured feedback by way of a poll in the future.

VileR wrote on 2020-01-04, 11:18:

BTW - regarding the font-hinting issue I mentioned earlier: as a measure of being constructive, here's a comparison of the current default font vs. Trebuchet MS, which is the immediate fallback option already in the CSS. Trebuchet looks a lot sharper and easier on the eyes (OFC, IMO, YMMV) but then this may only be the case on Windows.

I’ve regenerated fonts from a newer source version at a lower weight and reconstructed the hinting instructions. This still won’t help when antialiasing is totally disabled, but text is significantly sharper on Windows now in the usual case, which I hope helps for people who were having a problem before. If you want to improve the hinting by hand-hinting of all the fonts yourself, I’d be happy to update the site to use that version—just make sure to take the files directly from here and not any upstream version, since the ones here are generated with a custom weight and width and fixed metrics.

Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-01-18, 15:07:

Just noticed that listening to attached MP3s no longer works on my iPad.

It used to work fine on the old forum.

I’m not sure what would have changed to cause that. Can you give me a link to a specific post and I can look into it? Also can you please tell me which version of iOS you are running?

furan wrote on 2020-01-18, 23:13:

I hate the post numbers at the bottom just give me arrows. Or make it so that posts with more than 50 pages load the last page of the post first, rather than the first page (that probably costs a lot of bandwidth anyway, when people open a thread just to go to the last page).

I don’t understand this feedback. There is no difference between arrows and post numbers in the pagination since the post numbers correspond to first, previous, current, next, last post. On topic lists you can go to the first unread post by the big button icon at the left of the topic, or the last post by the link in the latest post column. Can you explain more?

On my 4K laptop display your cursors are the tiniest. Why do you even have cursors? Is the site going to start playing tada.wav when I open it now?

This is a browser/OS bug, please see the other discussion about this. I’ve been told that Windows does correctly scale the cursor at 200% so I guess you are using some non-integral scaling value and compensate by setting the OS cursor to be larger than normal, is this correct? It is helpful for me to know the specific contexts in which people have trouble so it can be fixed properly.

Bruninho wrote on 2020-01-19, 03:10:
schmatzler wrote on 2020-01-19, 01:58:
bfcastello wrote on 2020-01-18, 23:41:

Snover, I want that! TADAAAAAAA 😁

Accompanied with a "You've got mail" whenever there is a notification.

And a BSOD or GPF screen for deleted topics/404 not found pages, a chime sound for when you log out or leave the forum!

The fatal error screen—which I hope you never see—is indeed modelled off the Win9x BSOD, though here the B stands for Blurple.

Unfortunately those notification sounds aren’t public domain, so that will not happen even though you know I want it to happen. 😜

Daniël Oosterhuis wrote on 2020-01-22, 08:59:

No, you're not. It's utterly bizarre that the response to a serious roadblock for accessibility by a self-admitted "silly feature" is "fix it yourself, I can't be bothered to just turn it off for the moment until I can find the time to make it an opt-in feature, or find another way to implement it". I can appreciate that making it opt-in will take time, but surely removing the line of code setting the cursor to a custom image can be removed within minutes?

I don’t think this is a fair characterisation of the situation, though I apologise for any part I played in perpetuating this idea that I somehow don’t care. There are many factors that go into where and how I spend my time, and that means that even if something is trivial to change, it may not be done immediately.

When I put my triage hat on, I see this situation:

1. Does the problem impact a large number of people? —Probably not: it seems so far to affect only Windows users with non-standard cursor scaling. Cursor scaling on macOS definitely works fine. It is not relevant to touch devices.
2. Is it a bug in the site? —No: it is an OS/browser defect that causes it to not apply the correct scaling to non-system cursors.
3. Is a workaround available? —Yes: the cursors can be disabled by a CSS override.
4. Does just disabling the feature fix the problem? —Not fully: Other sites that use custom cursors are also broken until the scaling bug is fixed upstream.

It’s also impossible for me to gauge the true extent of a problem if I just immediately disable something that isn’t working for some people, so I’m usually only going to do that if something is super busted.

Beyond that, frankly, between the first post about attachment licensing and threatening to delete all the photos if there is no option to reserve all rights, then saying I was ignoring this feedback when I was actually busy dealing with other issues, now suggesting that I’m just lazy and threatening to leave the site if I don’t do what you want, I’m not exactly delighted to engage on this. I offered workarounds and took the time to create a test case and report the problem upstream, which is more than 99% of engineers would do, and the response I get is contemptuous. Several of your compatriots on this are also acting pretty poorly in my opinion, either rage quitting or adding toxic passive-aggressive comments like “Just one more issue caused by the custom cursor” which only dogpile and inflame the situation. I only have a fixed amount of time to work on things, so of course I’m not going to prioritise this above other similar priority issues from people who are able to not be combative and nasty about it.

konc wrote on 2020-01-22, 11:16:

Hey I want my penis-shaped cursor back 😀

I like your style.

dr_st wrote on 2020-01-23, 17:25:

You know what would be useful? A "review history" button when editing your posts, not just when creating new replies. The lack of viewable thread history when editing has always irritated me in forums, and hopefully the new software allows this to be added.

Miraculously this is actually one piece of functionality which is encapsulated well enough that I can actually implement this. You may expect to see it soon.

red-ray wrote on 2020-01-26, 12:58:
I just tried to upload a file that was just > 5MiB and the error reported looks wonky to me, what I got was: […]
Show full quote

I just tried to upload a file that was just > 5MiB and the error reported looks wonky to me, what I got was:

SIV32A.zip (5
MiB
) exceeds the maximum allowed file size of 5 <abbr role="text presentation" title="mebibytes" aria-label="mebibytes">MiB</abbr>.

Sorry about that! This is fixed now.

OK, that is it from me for now. At some point soon I will be going back and reviewing all the feedback since I have been fixing things and I can’t find the original posts about the things I fixed to remark that they are fixed. At the least, anyone who remarked on the notifications should be happy to know that you should no longer receive duplicate emails for topics you are watching, and you will now receive notifications for all old topics that had been notified and not visited on the old board.

If there is any other feedback I didn’t address which you feel is important for me to address directly, please let me know so I can do that.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 506 of 743, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote on 2020-01-30, 06:28:

I’m not sure what would have changed to cause that. Can you give me a link to a specific post and I can look into it? Also can you please tell me which version of iOS you are running?

I'm using iOS 12.4.4 on an iPad (2016) and an iPhone 6. Tapping on an attached MP3 such as in this post opens the mini player for a split second, then it gets replaced by a crossed out "play" button (see attached image). This happens on Safari, Chrome and Firefox for iOS and it doesn't matter whether I'm logged in or not. The MP3s just don't play.

Attachments

• MP3.jpg
    Filename
    MP3.jpg
    File size
    17.98 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    MP3s on iOS
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 507 of 743, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I can confirm that it doesn't work as Joseph describes on iOS 12.4, but I don't know how it worked before.
However on iOS 13.x it works but differently as with 12.4x: the mp3 gets downloaded to the files.app and then you can listen to it when you press on downloads.
Maybe something changed in how it is attached that throws iOS 12.4x off

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 508 of 743, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just a quick addendum, MP3s from other websites load fine for me. For example, I can tap on any of the MP3s from here and they play properly:

https://www.wavetable.nl/doom/

It's just the MP3s that are attached on this forum that don't play.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155

Reply 509 of 743, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Feedback for the mouse cursor:

I run at native 4k and use the browsers auto zoom to resize web content. I have my system cursors set to the windows large variant. On this page the cursor is tiny and very hard to find if you lose track of it.

Reply 510 of 743, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shagittarius wrote on 2020-01-30, 14:57:

Feedback for the mouse cursor:

I run at native 4k and use the browsers auto zoom to resize web content. I have my system cursors set to the windows large variant. On this page the cursor is tiny and very hard to find if you lose track of it.

Check out the "New Forum Suggestions / Feedback" thread for how to fix the cursor:
Re: New forum suggestions/Feedback

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 511 of 743, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-01-30, 07:58:

I'm using iOS 12.4.4 on an iPad (2016) and an iPhone 6. Tapping on an attached MP3 such as in this post opens the mini player for a split second, then it gets replaced by a crossed out "play" button (see attached image). This happens on Safari, Chrome and Firefox for iOS and it doesn't matter whether I'm logged in or not. The MP3s just don't play.

Thanks for the report and the extra information! I’m having trouble seeing how this could have worked on the old board either, but it should be fixed now. I’ve also added inline audio playback controls for audio attachments.

When you say you run at “native 4k” you mean you are running the OS at 100% scale?

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 512 of 743, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Snover wrote on 2020-01-31, 01:26:
Thanks for the report and the extra information! I’m having trouble seeing how this could have worked on the old board either, b […]
Show full quote
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-01-30, 07:58:

Thanks for the report and the extra information! I’m having trouble seeing how this could have worked on the old board either, but it should be fixed now. I’ve also added inline audio playback controls for audio attachments.

When you say you run at “native 4k” you mean you are running the OS at 100% scale?

Yes, 100% scale.

Reply 513 of 743, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote on 2020-01-31, 01:26:

I can confirm that MP3 playback now works both from the in-line player as well as from just tapping on the attachment. Nice work!

Reply 515 of 743, by furan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
I don’t understand this feedback. There is no difference between arrows and post numbers in the pagination since the post number […]
Show full quote

I hate the post numbers at the bottom just give me arrows. Or make it so that posts with more than 50 pages load the last page of the post first, rather than the first page (that probably costs a lot of bandwidth anyway, when people open a thread just to go to the last page).

I don’t understand this feedback. There is no difference between arrows and post numbers in the pagination since the post numbers correspond to first, previous, current, next, last post. On topic lists you can go to the first unread post by the big button icon at the left of the topic, or the last post by the link in the latest post column. Can you explain more?

On my 4K laptop display your cursors are the tiniest. Why do you even have cursors? Is the site going to start playing tada.wav when I open it now?

This is a browser/OS bug, please see the other discussion about this. I’ve been told that Windows does correctly scale the cursor at 200% so I guess you are using some non-integral scaling value and compensate by setting the OS cursor to be larger than normal, is this correct? It is helpful for me to know the specific contexts in which people have trouble so it can be fixed properly.

First, thanks for listening to my feedback/flame post. It can't be easy to try and make everybody happy.

On the point of numbers versus arrows - it's just faster (or it seems faster) for my brain to click the arrows. When I see the numbers I pause for not sure how long. The discussion on bandwidth was my dumb self not clicking the shortcut to the right on a given forum post from the index, which takes you to the latest post.

Secondly, I am running with 300% scale on a 15.1" 4k display using Chrome on Windows (now Edge, but the engine and result are the same). Maybe there's no 300% cursor? Happy to help test.

Thanks again for your patience and for listening to my feedback.

Reply 518 of 743, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Uhm...,

no page numbers on the forum topic list? So you have to load page 1 and then load the latest page? ??? And you can't even see how many pages there are?

Is that new?

Reply 519 of 743, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You can click on the "last reply" bit to get to the last page.
Is it really important to know the number of pages? Isn't the number of replies the better thing to know? Number of pages is a very arbitrary thing. For 40 replies you could have 1 page, or 40 or something in between.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper