VOGONS

First post, by gladders

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all,

I downloaded drivers for the CD ROM for this laptop and installed them. It created some files on my hard drive but nothing else. Is there a guide for how to make it work in DOS and Windows 3.11?

Additionally the AccuPoint Mouse won’t respond in Windows. Is it as simple as finding a mouse.exe file and running that or do I need to do something additional in Windows’ mouse.ini file?

Thanks

Reply 1 of 6, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The integrated mouse runs on the PS/2 bus and should work in Windows 3.1 when selecting Windows' own "PS/2-compatible" mouse driver.

I would recommend VIDECDD and CuteMouse.

CuteMouse should detect the integrated mouse in DOS on the PS/2 port and function. For Windows 3.1 you shall select PS/2-compatible in the Windows Setup (CuteMouse is not needed, and will be substituted by Windows' own mouse driver)

VIDECDD has a very low footprint compared to the original Toshiba CD driver (which has over 30KB iirc?). It is not necessary to use the original driver from Toshiba. I would rather recommend VIDECDD which is loaded in autoexec and config in normal fashion:

Autoexec.bat:

LH C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:OPTICAL

Config.sys:

DEVICEHIGH=C:\DRIVERS\VIDECDD.SYS /D:OPTICAL

Attachments

• Filename
    vide+mouse.zip
    File size
    10.68 KiB
    Downloads
    42 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 6, by Slashzero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Also came here to recommend CuteMouse. Version 2.1 works for me on my old Toshiba Laptop. The other great thing about CuteMouse is it’s roughly 4K when loaded in memory, too, which is nice. 😀

For comparison the Microsoft mouse driver is roughly 25k when loaded in memory.

You will also need to LH the ctmouse.exe driver in your autoexec.bat. Note: the mouse will also work in DOS’ Edit.

Reply 3 of 6, by gladders

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi both,

Thanks for your advice. I’ve got both drivers in my machine now and the CD is running and detected in Windows.

However the mouse and AccuPoint still aren’t, even with Ctmouse.

Has a driver been lost? Or is it something more serious like the ps/2 port being damaged?

Reply 5 of 6, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you tried - for Windows 3.1 - not loading CuteMouse, instead choosing the PS/2 mouse driver within Windows Setup?
Windows comes with one and that one should work, the AccuPoint is not special in any way protocol-wise