VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 32380 of 52357, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

AN430TX motherboard but crucially has two chips one of them is XG audio IC, not common around here. Hopefully that TX board will allow me to use newer PCI video cards that wouldn't initialize in other board with HX chipset.

SIS Asus baby AT motherboard with SRAM ICs for 256K total to play with, know that it is slower but that the point of having odd things.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 32381 of 52357, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanJammer wrote on 2020-02-07, 15:52:

This semi-rare ATI Stereo F/X and nice Adaptec SCSI controller arrived in some poor 486 today...

Is that a second Yamaha chip under the stereo FX sticker?

Reply 32382 of 52357, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mothergoose729 wrote on 2020-02-07, 19:10:

This semi-rare ATI Stereo F/X and nice Adaptec SCSI controller arrived in some poor 486 today...

Is that a second Yamaha chip under the stereo FX sticker?

no it's a rom
somewhere there is a small flash eeprom that stores settings like IRQ, DMA, address
nice card!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 32384 of 52357, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

He probably thought the boxes were being re used for posting something and didnt imagine to actually be a CRT in there 😀

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 32385 of 52357, by Lennart

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice, I'd really like to have an ATI Stereo F/X.

If I may ask, could you check whether that Adaptec SCSI controller has a BIOS option for enabling Floptical support? I've got the same card but with a later BIOS and I'm curious to know whether the earlier BIOS has support for Floptical drives. Also see this thread.

Reply 32386 of 52357, by frudi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After not being to my local flea market in months, the first time back I stumbled upon all these at my favourite seller:

qsipBem.jpg

A couple AWE64 Value cards. I like these for late-DOS or DOS/Win9X builds so I'm always happy to get more of them. Unfortunately the CT4520 is having some issues and doesn't output any sound, but the CT4380 works just fine.

y76bzfn.jpg

Mainly happy with the Creative Voodoo 2 in great condition 😀, it even came with a pass-through cable. The Gigabyte Radeon 9200 on the left I also like since it's not one of the far more common crippled SE variants, so it's a decent alternative to the slightly faster but (at least over here) very hard to find Radeon 8500/9100. The Matrox G450 is just a nice bonus here. All three cards ended up working great.

Qe0MS7n.jpg

This one I had to check twice to make sure I was seeing right, a Pentium II board with 8 72-pin SIMM slots 😮. I had never come across a board like this before. Happy to report it also works just fine. And it came loaded with the PII 233 and full complement of 32 MB SIMMs for a total of 256 MB. Really happy with this find 😀.

Not pictured, since they're still in pretty dirty state, but also included were an also working 4 MB Matrox Millenium II (one of these) and an Asus P9X79 Pro socket 2011 motherboard with a couple slightly bent pins on the socket, so hopefully fixable.

Not bad for 40€ total.

Reply 32388 of 52357, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
LewisRaz wrote on 2020-02-07, 22:01:

I also had to look twice when seeing that ram and the pentium 2!

Interesting board!

Pretty standard i440FX board. In 1997 quite a lot of these things were being made, apparently because the i440FX was cheaper/easier to come by than the new i430LX. Basic PentiumPro features with a P2 CPU. Now the other way round - PPro on i440LX with AGP and SDRAM - *that* would be interesting 😀

Reply 32390 of 52357, by Brawndo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I FINALLY made a deal on the exact same model case I used for a 1.2 GHz AMD Tbird build in my early 20s, been watching it for a long time on ebay and it's the only one I've ever seen for sale. I'm going to more or less build it again to the same specs with a 1.2 or 1.4 GHz Tbird and probably throw my Voodoo 5500 in it.

Screenshot-20200207-181735-e-Bay.jpg

Last edited by Brawndo on 2020-02-08, 19:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 32391 of 52357, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Brawndo wrote on 2020-02-08, 01:22:
I FINALLY made a deal on the exact same model case I used for a 1.2 GHz AMD Tbird build on my early 20s, been watching it for a […]
Show full quote

I FINALLY made a deal on the exact same model case I used for a 1.2 GHz AMD Tbird build on my early 20s, been watching it for a long time on ebay and it's the only one I've ever seen for sale. I'm going to more or less build it again to the same specs with a 1.2 or 1.4 GHz Tbird and probably throw my Voodoo 5500 in it.

hah, nice. I had the same one back in the day, with an AMD Athlon 64 3400+ and GeForce 5950 Ultra.. look at that mess of wires, 🤣. Apparently I had some EL Wire glowing ATA cables.. I have no idea where those went.

FZEtcvih.jpg

LAAJtfIh.jpg

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 32392 of 52357, by Slashzero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I bought an original dual battery charging station by Toshiba, for my two 486 T4850CT laptops, but has to return it, as it was defective.

Last edited by Slashzero on 2020-02-08, 20:47. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 32393 of 52357, by Slashzero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Brawndo wrote on 2020-02-08, 01:22:
I FINALLY made a deal on the exact same model case I used for a 1.2 GHz AMD Tbird build on my early 20s, been watching it for a […]
Show full quote

I FINALLY made a deal on the exact same model case I used for a 1.2 GHz AMD Tbird build on my early 20s, been watching it for a long time on ebay and it's the only one I've ever seen for sale. I'm going to more or less build it again to the same specs with a 1.2 or 1.4 GHz Tbird and probably throw my Voodoo 5500 in it.

That is a nice looking case! 😀

I’ve been keeping an eye on cases on eBay for my PIII W98SE desktop, but haven’t seen anything decent looking, and shipping is just too high for cases. When you say you worked out a deal, what kind of deal? I’m curious to know.

Reply 32394 of 52357, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote on 2020-02-07, 22:11:
LewisRaz wrote on 2020-02-07, 22:01:

I also had to look twice when seeing that ram and the pentium 2!

Interesting board!

Pretty standard i440FX board. In 1997 quite a lot of these things were being made, apparently because the i440FX was cheaper/easier to come by than the new i430LX. Basic PentiumPro features with a P2 CPU. Now the other way round - PPro on i440LX with AGP and SDRAM - *that* would be interesting 😀

The i440LX wasn't released until August 1997, so the motherboards with it probably came on the market at the end of 1997. Until that the i440FX must have been top of the line.

Reply 32395 of 52357, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

To be fair the PII had very little market penetration until 440LX. Those things were damn expensive. I think they started to catch on when things like the Dell Dimension XPS D series hit the market.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 32396 of 52357, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wiretap wrote on 2020-02-07, 20:26:
They're here... UPS man is totally crazy carrying a CRT + tower in the OEM boxes, lol. He didn't drop them though. […]
Show full quote

They're here... UPS man is totally crazy carrying a CRT + tower in the OEM boxes, 🤣. He didn't drop them though.

1MgAUZR.jpg

That must have been one strong UPS deliverer 😁 That's probably 35-40kg of computer goodies!

Reply 32397 of 52357, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Arrived today...50€ incl. shipment, all looking quite good.

I was mainly interested in the CT1350 and some nice ISA-NICs.

But quite intersting is also this mini-PC on the bottom right. Its called "NANO 7270":
http://www.aonecorp.co.kr/products/single/NANO-7270.htm#
-Intel Pentium M / Celeron M CPU support up to FSB 400MHz
-CRT/LCD VGA integrated in i852GM, support 48-bit LVDS for independent dual display
-1x DDR200/266 SO-DIMM support up to 1GB
-Support PC/104+(PCI only) extension slot

IMG_0122.JPG
Filename
IMG_0122.JPG
File size
630.68 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 32398 of 52357, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SpectriaForce wrote on 2020-02-08, 11:20:
wiretap wrote on 2020-02-07, 20:26:
They're here... UPS man is totally crazy carrying a CRT + tower in the OEM boxes, lol. He didn't drop them though. […]
Show full quote

They're here... UPS man is totally crazy carrying a CRT + tower in the OEM boxes, 🤣. He didn't drop them though.

1MgAUZR.jpg

That must have been one strong UPS deliverer 😁 That's probably 35-40kg of computer goodies!

17" Apple Studio CRT (ADC) --- 45.80 lbs
PowerMac G4 --- 42.11 lbs

If he does stuff like that all the time, his back will be shot in no time 🤣. Not a job I would want.. or at least I would use a dolly for transporting heavy stuff.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 32399 of 52357, by Brawndo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Slashzero wrote on 2020-02-08, 07:22:

That is a nice looking case! 😀

I’ve been keeping an eye on cases on eBay for my PIII W98SE desktop, but haven’t seen anything decent looking, and shipping is just too high for cases. When you say you worked out a deal, what kind of deal? I’m curious to know.

Well the seller had it listed for a little over $150 plus shipping, which was another $22 so the total cost would have been almost $180 to my door, and that's just too much for me to justify spending on an empty case. It was on my watch list for months but the seller never lowered the price, so a few days ago I emailed the seller and said I'd love to buy the case but I can't justify the high price, so if they would consider $100 shipped I'd buy it. At first they said they could only knock $10 off the price and I responded and said I just couldn't justify it for old hardware but good luck with the sale. They then came back with an offer of $100 plus shipping which I accepted, so I got it for about 35% below their asking price. Really friendly seller so I'm pleased.

I know it's a lot to pay for just a case but as I said it's very nostalgic for me because it's the same case I had when I was really heavy into PC gaming and I ran that rig for years updating along the way, and it's the only one I've ever seen come up for sale, especially new in the box. It's also the only time I put a neon light kit in my case (yeah I went through that phase) so, good times and great memories.

The only other case I'm planning on buying new on eBay like that, which will cost another $100 or so, is a CTX style AT case, because it's the same case as the very first PC I bought, a 200 MHz AMD K6 system, so that one also has a special place. Other than that, I'd like to buy more beige cases for older builds but they're just hard to find, and people list them for stupid high prices on ebay most of the time, and like you said they're costly to ship. I'm not going to spend over $200 on a used beige case which is yellowed and missing drive bay covers. I'll just frequent the local thrift stores and flea markets until I find what I want.