VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does anyone know if a cache module from compaq prosignia 486 that is from 1993 would work on a compaq prolinea 486 that is from 1994?
The cache slot seems to be the same. I counted the fingers.

Reply 1 of 7, by mdog69

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Baoran wrote on 2020-02-09, 04:26:

Does anyone know if a cache module from compaq prosignia 486 that is from 1993 would work on a compaq prolinea 486 that is from 1994?
The cache slot seems to be the same. I counted the fingers.

I can't answer your question, but do you have the Compaq part number for the module? (similar in format to 123456-001). This might let someone check/confim compatibility. Note that there may be two part numbers - one for factory fit, the second a "spares" number.

Reply 3 of 7, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What is the Compaq Prolinea model number? Compaq was pretty good with their documentation to show the part numbers of compatible add-ins. They should have a specification sheet that shows it. That's how I found a lot of part numbers for my Presario 9232.

Example from the Prolinea 450 through 575 manual:

P3p76T2.png

SmlHeP7.png

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 5 of 7, by kenny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Baoran wrote on 2020-02-09, 13:16:

It is prolinea 4/50S. The cache module is very different to the one in the picture you showed. It is a single slot with 2 parts. CPU is 50Mhz SX2.

So I understand You are talking about Compaq model what looks inside like this:

cpq-prolinea-4-50s-min.jpg

And the question is: could You use a Compaq cache module 194380-001 in ur pc:

194380-001-cpq-cache.jpg

The Compaq cache part number for Your pc is 197005-001:

197005-001-cpq-cache.jpg

No You can't. These modules are not interchangeable.

Added imgur images cause cant post straight to forum

https://imgur.com/a/vhvVXhY

Reply 6 of 7, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thank you for the pictures. Good to know that it would not work even if the connector looks the same.
It doesn't seem like there are much options for upgrading my prolinea because the P10 jumper isn't on the motherboard and kingston turbochip didn't work either. I just thought the cpu could use bit of a boost because the video chip seems to be really fast and connected to local bus.

Reply 7 of 7, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Baoran wrote on 2020-02-10, 03:26:

Thank you for the pictures. Good to know that it would not work even if the connector looks the same.
It doesn't seem like there are much options for upgrading my prolinea because the P10 jumper isn't on the motherboard and kingston turbochip didn't work either. I just thought the cpu could use bit of a boost because the video chip seems to be really fast and connected to local bus.

Yes, I confirm that even on the oldest (ISA-only) Compaq ProLineas, the video chip is on a local bus.
The ProLineas with the Tseng Labs ET4000AX: nice chip for DOS and DOS games. Weak in Windows.
The ProLineas with the Tseng Labs ET4000W32: great chip, probably one of the best compromise to make both DOS- and Windows-software happy at the same time. On Compaq's local bus it flies.

They said therefore to him: Who are you?
Jesus said to them: The beginning, who also speak unto you