VOGONS

First post, by dumpsterac1d

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all, I have a P4 machine that I thought I could slow down using MoSlo DX for pure DOS. After installing 6.22 and buying the 3dRealms Arcade pack, I'm finding several games I'll need to create moslo-based batch files to run properly. Which is fine, and something I expected to do. However...

The issue is that every slowdown method or processor emulation switch seems either extremely slow, or not to function at all. An example would be running MoSlo with the /p5 switch active to emulate a Pentium 1, will result in fade-ins and fade-outs of Alien Carnage to go so incredibly slow that it takes close to 2 minutes just to get into the game. I know for a fact that P1s run this game nearly perfectly as I had a pentium machine running it, so I'm really curious as to why this isn't working.

I'm also still getting runtime/frame errors when running other games, such as Monuments of Mars, regardless of the switch settings.

Has anyone successfully been able to use the processor emulation switches with Moslo at all? And if not, has anyone been able to narrow Moslo's settings adequately for a particular game? Did you end up just trying a lot of things until something stuck? Am I missing something?

I'll have more details after I get home tonight if they're needed.

Thanks folks!

Reply 1 of 11, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

AFAIK this behaviour is to be expected on a Pentium 4. The Pentium 4 is at 2GHz to 3Ghz in hardware. There are no reliable software tricks to get that to a smooth 100MHz or something of that kind. At best one can disable CPU caches and see what kinda speed it seems to resemble. In the end, if you really want to run such DOS games nicely, without emulation, you need to consider slower systems and different tools and tricks.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 2 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does Throttle work on your motherboard?
http://www.oldskool.org/pc/throttle/DOS

(And at the risk of asking a stupid question: is there some reason you want to run these in DOS on a Pentium 4 instead of in DOSBox?)

Reply 3 of 11, by dumpsterac1d

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, the reason is that I'd rather have 1 physical computer that runs multiple generations of games instead of 2 or 3. If it comes to having to experiment with other types of software to get the same effect I'll definitely do that, however I'd rather stick with this configuration unless i know definitively that it isn't possible to slow a P4 adequately.

Jorpho wrote on 2020-02-10, 19:17:

Does Throttle work on your motherboard?
http://www.oldskool.org/pc/throttle/DOS

(And at the risk of asking a stupid question: is there some reason you want to run these in DOS on a Pentium 4 instead of in DOSBox?)

Thanks, I'll definitely try one of those tools. And to be fair, there's no tangible particular reason I'd want to run these in DOS as opposed to Dosbox, but then there's no reason to use a CRT anymore or a chunky keyboard, or to own any particular console. So not sure what to say other than it's a project I guess.

Reply 4 of 11, by Revolter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gerwin wrote on 2020-02-10, 19:00:

The Pentium 4 is at 2GHz to 3Ghz in hardware. There are no reliable software tricks to get that to a smooth 100MHz or something of that kind.

Of course there are:

CPU Tuning, Throttling

Last edited by Revolter on 2020-02-14, 14:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Celeron 800, 512MB, GeForce2 MX, ES1938S/DB S2, Windows ME/DOS 6.22

Reply 5 of 11, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Revolter wrote on 2020-02-14, 14:38:

Of course there are:
CPU Tuning, Throttling

Admitted, I missed that throttling functionality of the Pentium 4. Will look into it when I have some time.

Reply 6 of 11, by Revolter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gerwin wrote on 2020-02-14, 14:48:

Admitted, I missed that throttling functionality of the Pentium 4.

Believe me, this is normal - nobody seems to, for some reason. This is a mystery to me, since I think that throttle.exe and msred.com (together or separately) are supposed to be a small miracle and a revolution of the retro-PC scene. But nope, goes completely under the radar 😀 I was surprised to even see a mention of the chipset throttling in this particular thread.

Reply 7 of 11, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I know about 'Throttle'. I even modified that program to make it work on ALi Aladdin V chipsets. Throttle is nice to have as an option, but for many games and programs it does not give smooth results: Stutters in framerate and sound output.

It is msred.com that is new to me.

Reply 8 of 11, by Revolter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gerwin wrote on 2020-02-14, 15:09:

I know about 'Throttle'. I even modified that program to make it work on ALi Aladdin V chipsets. Throttle is nice to have as an option, but for many games and programs it does not give smooth results: Stutters in framerate and sound output.

It is msred.com that is new to me.

I see. Glad to have been wrong about you, then 😀

Could it be that the stutters and uneven framerate are only present on non-Intel chipsets? I mean, does it produce the same results for you on any Intel board? I've tried a couple of VIAs (with 686B and 8237A) - yes, the performance is often messed up (and, when skipping 87.5% of cycles, the input signals of mouse and keyboard go kaput) - but have seen none of these problems on multiple boards with ICH2 and ICH5 southbridges.

Reply 9 of 11, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here is my observation on Throttle, back in 2009, on an i440BX system:
(edit: Darn, seems my final verdict there was based on the VIA system)
Re: Slowing a 440BX based PC
Here is the observation of ux-3, Athlon XP system:
Slowing an Athlon based PC - PCI audio causes trouble

Reply 10 of 11, by Revolter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks!

I'm impressed. 2009... Turns out it was me who was late to the throttling party 😀

Yeah, your verdict corresponds exactly to my experience with VIA motherboards. Even down to the Quarantine game where I first noticed the speed quirkiness. The Intel chipsets do not exhibit any of these problems, though, exept for maybe having Speesys and other synthetic stuff return nonsense results.

Reply 11 of 11, by K1n9_Duk3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dumpsterac1d wrote on 2020-02-10, 18:22:

I'm also still getting runtime/frame errors when running other games, such as Monuments of Mars, regardless of the switch settings.

This should help you get rid of those runtime/divide errors, but the games (especially Dark Ages) might still run way too fast. You'll need my patching utility to use these patch scripts. Scroll to the top of the page, there's a link to it.