VOGONS

Reply 80 of 248, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So far I tested the releases from RoyTam1 on Windows 98SE (with KernelEx 4.5.2016.24) as of January 31, 2020:
K-Meleon 1.5.4 - Works but no CSS and no login on Vogons either. Almost nothing renders correctly. Forget YouTube.
K-Meleon 74 (Goanna 2.2) - The best of all I tried so far. Can render Vogons, I haven't tried to login yet, but fonts are messed up. The browser menubar icons are messed up. Does not play YouTube (Crashes, but I haven't installed a codec yet either)
RZBrowser and Retrozilla 2.2 (TLS 1.2) - Works, stable, renders Vogons without CSS, no YouTube, It can barely load any page without JS or CSS.
Pale Moon (for Win2000): I tried to load with compatibility set for Win XP SP2, but crashes on me even before the window. So no dice.

Retrozilla can log into Vogons, but needs to be tweaked as per comments above from other users here. And no CSS.

It seems to me that with a more polished work, K-Meleon 74 could be the best option for Windows 98SE actually. It needs more work.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 81 of 248, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

RoyTam1's updated Firefox 3.6.28 works almost better than any other browser for Windows 98SE. CSS is not perfect, VOGONS didn't render well (but at least has CSS, compared to RetroZilla 2.2). I'm posting it with FX3.6.28. I had to do the same cipher tweaks used in RZ.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 83 of 248, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ntalaec wrote on 2020-02-11, 08:30:

Can you provide a download link for vanilla Windows 98 SE?

Try winworldpc.com, they have some isos

Fx3 (above mentioned) and K-Meleon 74G (Goanna) albeit unstable, they somewhat work. Both need work but show signs of being capable to maintain w98 alive if Kernelex is installed.

Meanwhile I’m on Win2k with BWC and I have two perfect browsers: SeaMonkey 2.49.5 and latest New Moon from RoyTam1.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 84 of 248, by ntalaec

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Bruninho wrote on 2020-02-11, 11:54:
Try winworldpc.com, they have some isos […]
Show full quote

Fx3 (above mentioned) and K-Meleon 74G (Goanna) albeit unstable, they somewhat work. Both need work but show signs of being capable to maintain w98 alive if Kernelex is installed.

Meanwhile I’m on Win2k with BWC and I have two perfect browsers: SeaMonkey 2.49.5 and latest New Moon from RoyTam1.

No, I meant a download link for Firefox 3.6.28 for vanilla Windows 98 SE, without using KernelEx.

Reply 85 of 248, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ntalaec wrote on 2020-02-11, 14:43:
Bruninho wrote on 2020-02-11, 11:54:
Try winworldpc.com, they have some isos […]
Show full quote

No, I meant a download link for Firefox 3.6.28 for vanilla Windows 98 SE, without using KernelEx.

You cannot use that version of Firefox on Windows 98SE without KernelEx, because the last version officially supported is 2.0.0.20.

You need KernelEx and the modified Firefox 3.6.28 from RoyTam1 for Windows NT 4.0 (https://retrosystemsrevival.blogspot.com/2018 … dows-nt-40.html)

For Vanilla Windows 98SE you need RetroZilla 2.2 (already mentioned some posts ago by DosFreak here) which is based on Fx 2.0.0.20pre and with TLS 1.2 support

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 86 of 248, by ntalaec

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah, ok. I thought it also worked with vanilla version.

By the way, does anyone know if RetroZilla limits the download speed?

In my computer (P200MMX, 64MB, W98SE) all downloads (both with Internet Explorer 5 and RetroZilla) were limited to 200KB/s. After tweaking the network settings with TCPOptimizer, I get about 2MB/s with Internet Explorer but only 600KB/s with Retrozilla. I'm using a 3Com PCI card (10/100) in a Socket 7 (430VX) motherboard.

It happens with these versions:
https://github.com/rn10950/RetroZilla/releases/
http://rtfreesoft.blogspot.com/2020/01/other- … s-20190131.html

Reply 87 of 248, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@DosFreak: Opera 12.02 on Windows 98 somewhat works for me, but it refuses to accept connection with VOGONS because...

Secure connection: fatal error (40) from server. 

https://www.vogons.org/

Failed to connect to server. The reason may be that the encryption methods supported by the server are not enabled in the security preferences.

Please note that some encryption methods are no longer supported, and that access will not be possible until the website has been upgraded to use strong encryption.

That is when I try the https. If I try http, Opera panicks in and I get a BSOD.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 88 of 248, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah those versions of Opera don't support the cipher that VOGONS uses. Only option there is to use a proxy. Not sure why you're getting a BSOD. Is this with just regular KernelEx or with the Core updates for KernelEX installed?

You can try 10.70 Build 3488 or older which will work on regular 98 to see if it's a KernelEX issue or a 9x issue.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 89 of 248, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote on 2020-02-11, 21:39:

Yeah those versions of Opera don't support the cipher that VOGONS uses. Only option there is to use a proxy. Not sure why you're getting a BSOD. Is this with just regular KernelEx or with the Core updates for KernelEX installed?

You can try 10.70 Build 3488 or older which will work on regular 98 to see if it's a KernelEX issue or a 9x issue.

I tested with both KernelEx 4.5.2 (regular) and with Core Updates. Same behavior.
I'm gonna try 10.70 now

Edit: No luck too.

Secure connection: fatal error (70) from server.

https://www.vogons.org/

Handshake failed because the server does not want to accept the enabled SSL/TLS protocol versions.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 90 of 248, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Opera
I just meant for testing if the OS BSOD not for connecting to vogons. Those old versions of Opera have outdated ciphers. Only way to update would be to download the leaked source code and add the ciphers. It's kind of amazing that hasn't been done yet.

Firefox
For download speed you can try these tweaks: https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-inc … peed-in-firefox

On testing retrozilla on Windows 10 I went from 1300 KB/sec to 2000 KB/sec with steps 4 and 5.

If confirmed then may be worth mentioning to roytam to enable by default or include in a Readme.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozi … ing_preferences

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 92 of 248, by Tommaso72

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I unfortunately didn't have time to read the whole thread, but just from my experience lately I have a retro system with Windows XP SP2 and use FireFox, not sure the version, but I believe it is the newest one available for WinXP. I have no problems with any sites. YouTube works flawlessly, even if I can only watch up to 480 quality without any skips, but I have a 3.06 Ghz Northwood and a Geforce 6800 TX with 128 megs video Ram and 2 gigs DDR1, but also worked just as well with 512 megs DDR1. I find it amazing that a 2003 computer can do anything a new system can, within reason of course, and much slower. But for what I do it works great for retro games and browsing the net/ printing manuals, even the odd movie.

One bad thing that happened lately is I believe I got a Remote Procedure Call virus because of all virus definition files being out of date, actually I don't even use virus protection. The way I combat this is on a seperate drive I have a backup made with Norton Ghost 9, so if anything happens I just restore and all is well again. I also try to stay away from sketch sites and don't collect any email from this system. Easy fix and has only happened once in about a four month period of using the internet every night. I do stay away from sketchy sites on purpose, but I love browsing with such an old system. Brings back good memories. I want to be able to do this with my Windows 95 IBM Aptiva, but not sure if its possible yet.

Just my 2 cents.

TGT

Reply 93 of 248, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was thinking... how hard it could be to add some ciphers to a Netscape 9.x so it can visit Vogons?

I mean, netscape 9.0.0.6 is a Firefox version, a “few” versions (2.0.0.12 I think) behind Retrozilla. I tried adding them through about:config but no dice. I then started to think about swapping some files between Netscape and Retrozilla to see what happens. Nothing.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 94 of 248, by roytam1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Bruninho wrote on 2020-02-20, 11:22:

I was thinking... how hard it could be to add some ciphers to a Netscape 9.x so it can visit Vogons?

I mean, netscape 9.0.0.6 is a Firefox version, a “few” versions (2.0.0.12 I think) behind Retrozilla. I tried adding them through about:config but no dice. I then started to think about swapping some files between Netscape and Retrozilla to see what happens. Nothing.

replacing NSS files with retrozilla's files only enabling TLS 1.2. adding ciphersuites can't be done in this way.

Reply 95 of 248, by roytam1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

but of course I can hack around it.
download: http://o.rths.ml/gpc/files1.rt/ns9-nss-update.7z

WGuTk6x.png

Reply 96 of 248, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
roytam1 wrote on 2020-02-27, 10:41:
but of course I can hack around it. download: http://o.rths.ml/gpc/files1.rt/ns9-nss-update.7z […]
Show full quote

but of course I can hack around it.
download: http://o.rths.ml/gpc/files1.rt/ns9-nss-update.7z

WGuTk6x.png

Jesus Christ. You’re a legend.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 97 of 248, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Trying to post this from Netscape! Although it renders similar to Retrozilla (almost no CSS), it just works.Good. That will do for some great nostalgia.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 98 of 248, by krcroft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Roy, amazing work!

Seeing Netscape Navigator, before the bloated jump to Firefox, embedded with the last 13 years of cypher progress is truly a thing of beauty.

Are you hosting your changes somewhere? I would love to build and run this on Linux.

Reply 99 of 248, by roytam1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
krcroft wrote on 2020-02-28, 17:31:

Roy, amazing work!

Seeing Netscape Navigator, before the bloated jump to Firefox, embedded with the last 13 years of cypher progress is truly a thing of beauty.

Are you hosting your changes somewhere? I would love to build and run this on Linux.

sure.
https://github.com/roytam1/RetroZilla/commit/ … 203fb1ceb933cbf

but building on non-win32 is totally untested.