VOGONS

First post, by Berzerk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having a hard time getting Blood II (GOG version) to run on Windows 10 Home. I've installed the Resolution fix, the widescreen patches and dgVoodoo 2.63.1 and all I get when I launch the game is a small black window in the middle of my Desktop and the game audio (Intro movies, main menu).

I know that I was able to run the game fine with these patches and 2.63.1 on Windows 7 but since I switched to Windows 10 this doesn't seem to work anymore. I don't have any problems running Shogo - Mobile Armor Division with 2.63.1 on my Windows 10 btw. That game runs absolutely fine. Does anyone have any ideas what I could try to make Blood II work again?

Reply 1 of 13, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember having this problem on Win7 with the original game version. The game can't switch into fullscreen and you can only see a small window in the middle of the screen.
I think something moves the focus off from the game window right when it launched.

What if you Alt-Tab from/into the game?

Reply 2 of 13, by Berzerk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote on 2020-02-11, 20:12:

What if you Alt-Tab from/into the game?

When I Alt+Tab it changes from a small black window in the middle of my screen to a full screen black window and that's it. Nothing visible at all.

I can make the game run with this https://github.com/elishacloud/dxwrapper/wiki … d-II-The-Chosen + the high framerate fix and the widescreen patch(es). But using this DXWrapper will make the game only run in 16 bit color mode and also the framerate can't be locked which causes glitches during cutscenes. I can lock the fps with something like Bandicam but then sometimes I get fps like 40-30 in some areas for whatever reason. That shouldn't be a thing with my i7 and GTX 1060.

dgVoodoo was definitely the best way to run this game on a modern system and I would really love to use it with the game again. I don't know why it does work with Shogo and not with Blood II. I tried the current version and also older versions but none of them worked with Blood II. It's frustrating.

EDIT: I installed 2.63.1 again, configured everything like it was said on PCGamingWiki and now when I hit Alt+Tab I can see the intro videos and the main menu. The only problem now is that the game is not fully shown. I can only see the top left corner of the game for some reason. If I use Alt+Tab more than once the game will crash (see attached screenshots).

Blood2_01.png
Filename
Blood2_01.png
File size
63.72 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Blood2_02.png
Filename
Blood2_02.png
File size
12.51 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 3 of 13, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you tried copying dgvoodoo.conf from the archive to the game directory? It's possible you have a problematic configuration file (in case you've run dgVoodooCpl.exe, it's possible it's not altering the right conf file).

Reply 5 of 13, by Berzerk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote on 2020-02-12, 12:28:

Have you tried copying dgvoodoo.conf from the archive to the game directory?

Yes I used the .conf file that is included in the ZIP file.

I tried a few more things and at the moment I'm able to play the game again. I had to check the "Center App window" box in dgVoodoo. Now when I start the game and hit Alt+Tab the whole game window is visible again. The only weird thing that remains is that the game always starts in a small black window and will only be visible when I hit Alt+Tab. It's like the game starts always minimized or something. No idea why that is happening.

Reply 6 of 13, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Heh, GOG version (vanilla without any additional patch) doesn't work for me either. I experience the same as you.
Even if I launch it in windowed mode, I cannot switch to fullscreen manually.
I suspect some window type flags were added in this version that aren't compatible with DXGI, or sg like that.

And even, in windowed mode (and natively too) it all freezes when I attempt to start a new game.
So, I cannot say anything smart about it, it seems completely broken. 😖

The original one works flawlessly.

Reply 7 of 13, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote on 2020-02-12, 17:20:
Heh, GOG version (vanilla without any additional patch) doesn't work for me either. I experience the same as you. Even if I laun […]
Show full quote

Heh, GOG version (vanilla without any additional patch) doesn't work for me either. I experience the same as you.
Even if I launch it in windowed mode, I cannot switch to fullscreen manually.
I suspect some window type flags were added in this version that aren't compatible with DXGI, or sg like that.

And even, in windowed mode (and natively too) it all freezes when I attempt to start a new game.
So, I cannot say anything smart about it, it seems completely broken. 😖

The original one works flawlessly.

The Steam version (which is literally the GOG version, it even has goggame.dll in the directory) works fine for me with dgVoodoo 2 installed, solid 60 FPS with no issue in fullscreen on the latest Windows 10 update.

Last edited by MrEWhite on 2020-02-13, 00:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 13, by Berzerk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote on 2020-02-12, 19:11:

Go to add/remove programs and uninstall the entry "GOG.com Blood 2".

I don't have such an entry listed when installing the game through GOG Galaxy. The only one I see is "Blood II - The Chosen + Nightmares". I'll try it with the offline installer later and report back then.

Reply 10 of 13, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's the compatibility mode GOG installs apparently (ForceSimpleWindow). Go to add/remove programs and uninstall the entry "GOG.com Blood 2".

Indeed! Now it launches in fullscreen, as expected. Still freezes when starting a new game, but I don't care, I don't play with this version anyway.

Reply 11 of 13, by Berzerk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Installed the offline installer version of Blood II but I still don't see a "GOG.com Blood 2" entry anywhere. The one I can see is "Blood II - The Chosen" but that's all.

EDIT: Ok I found and deinstalled "GOG.com Blood 2". The game does start normally now. No Alt+Tab or Alt+Enter needed to make it go full screen. Finally I can play it again.

Reply 12 of 13, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dege wrote on 2020-02-12, 20:51:

It's the compatibility mode GOG installs apparently (ForceSimpleWindow). Go to add/remove programs and uninstall the entry "GOG.com Blood 2".

Indeed! Now it launches in fullscreen, as expected. Still freezes when starting a new game, but I don't care, I don't play with this version anyway.

Blood 2 has a relatively high chance of crashing at points like that if it's not run with single core affinity (WinXP compatibility mode is the simple way to set it). Other reason could be that you've set a higher resolution than Blood 2 supports (more than 1000 lines), but considering you made a patch for that I think you would remember that.

Reply 13 of 13, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote on 2020-02-15, 12:38:

Blood 2 has a relatively high chance of crashing at points like that if it's not run with single core affinity (WinXP compatibility mode is the simple way to set it). ..

WinXp compatibility mode does NOT set single core affinity. It would be very counter-intuitive if it did so since XP itself and XP compatible programs can also use multiple cores without problems. I think it's rather Win9x compatibility mode.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper