VOGONS

First post, by GrampaGotTheKeys

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm curious if anyone knows a way of disabling texture filtering in games when using a Voodoo card.

In particular im trying to disable the texture filtering of "Dungeon Keeper D3D" with a Voodoo 3500 card, and I cant find any options from the game or vga control panel to do so.

Using a different card such as the "PowerVR PCX2" has texture filtering disabled by default but the frame rate from it is completely undesirable.

Reply 1 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not possible! The only filtering you can turn off is the video filtering.

Also that PCX2 doesn't sound like it's being used. You'd notice the lack of blending functions before the framerate, and it would've been filtered by default (it's all or nothing for PCX2). Also I remember I couldn't get it going on my PCX2 ages ago (but managed to get Black & White to run somehow)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 7, by Dochartaigh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2020-02-15, 01:46:

Is this video filtering you're talking about antialiasing? If so, I would love to know how to turn that off.

Reply 3 of 7, by GrampaGotTheKeys

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah a shame; I'm just going to have to say it has a unique look compared to the software mode then.

it would've been filtered by default (it's all or nothing for PCX2). Also I remember I couldn't get it going on my PCX2 ages ago (but managed to get Black & White to run somehow)

That's odd; I've always been given the option for setting filtering for individual games from the all the different driver versions i've used, even the ones that came on the CD, the menu looks like this: (attached image)

The current drivers I'm using are "4.1.2c1 - PowerVR Revolution", best version I've used yet for being able to toggle the card on and off properly!

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    Filename
    unnamed.jpg
    File size
    36.03 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by GrampaGotTheKeys on 2020-02-16, 02:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 7, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not true. In POD for example, you can choose whether or not you want texture filtering when starting the game with D3D acceleration. Without it, it looks just like software-rendering. So Direct3D has an option for that. The only question is how you can force it if the game itself doesn't allow you to choose.

Reply 5 of 7, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
GrampaGotTheKeys wrote on 2020-02-15, 03:59:
the menu looks like this: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/2hx8S74rg4OVi0olb-uc4ioRq2fgkcnjxuMkoO4ZUKD_nGLdk1LxX9N-E76tme […]
Show full quote

the menu looks like this:
2hx8S74rg4OVi0olb-uc4ioRq2fgkcnjxuMkoO4ZUKD_nGLdk1LxX9N-E76tmempotzaT4nQql7gCY_0uzWnQe3h

FYI, your image embed is broken.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 6 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
derSammler wrote on 2020-02-15, 08:35:

Not true

What was inferred to was a driver-level override (like it already does for trilinear and dithered mips). Also on a 3dfx card, bumping the texture filters off won't make anything look 'just like software' when there's other factors...

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 7, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote on 2020-02-16, 01:28:

What was inferred to was a driver-level override

Driver-level? He's talking about Direct3D, which is api-level. You can force many options in Direct3D that can then no longer be changed by games.

Now I can't say anything about "Dungeon Keeper D3D", as I have no clue what game that is supposed to be. I know the original Dungeon Keeper, which does not support 3d acceleration at all, and Dungeon Keeper 2, which is a Direct3D game. Dungeon Keeper 1 with Direct3D? Never heard of.