VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a socket 3 motherboard with via chipset that is very clean and works fine except there is a problem with the on board floppy drive connector. When a floppy drive is connected during post the floppy drive light lights up and makes the normal noise, but I still always get floppy drive failure error and the drive can't read any floppies. I have done all the normal things like made sure bios settings are correct and made sure floppy cable is connected right way. IDE hard drives connected to the on board ide connectors of the motherboard work fine. I know I could try using separate controller card and disable the on board floppy controller in bios, but since this looks like a nice motherboard first I would like to find out if there is anything that can be done to fix the problem and make the motherboard fully functional.

I would have wanted to attach a picture of the motherboard that I took, but I get error "Couldn’t recompress the image to the maximum file size of 2 MiB. Please manually resize the image." even though the size of the jpg image is much less than 2MiB. If I figure out how to fix this error message in these forums I'll upload picture later.

Reply 2 of 12, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The motherboard seems to have pc87312vf super IO chip that controls serial, parallel and ide ports as well. Since everything else except floppy seems to work it does not seem as the chip itself is dead at least.

Reply 3 of 12, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I finally managed to attach a picture of the motherboard after taking another picture. Perhaps there was something wrong with the file itself when I tried previously

486-S3.jpg
Filename
486-S3.jpg
File size
1.63 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 12, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
derSammler wrote on 2020-02-16, 09:27:

What CPU are you using? AMD CPUs (Enhanced 486 and 5x86) can cause the floppy to fail if cache is set to WB.

I just tested it with kingston turbochip because I don't have manual for the motherboard. As far as I know you don't need to configure the cpu using jumpers when when using kingston turbochip and it can accept different voltages.

Reply 7 of 12, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Kingston TurboChip is AM5x86, for sure you have Wrong Cache Setting/Jumpersetting on your Mainboard.

Check with a 5V CPU, DX2 66 or DX33 from intel.. if floppy works you know what the problem is.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 8 of 12, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
derSammler wrote on 2020-02-16, 10:07:

But isn't that an Am5x86?

Try a different CPU if possible. You don't need the manual, all jumper settings are written onto the mainboard.

There are more jumpers on this motherboard than I have seen on any other. Main problem is the voltage. I don't have resistor pack? needed to set RN18 or RN19 and I assume those are for setting voltage/cpu types.
I think with kingston turbochip it forces L2 cache to write through at least because of compatibility with older motherboards, but not sure about L1.

Reply 10 of 12, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
matze79 wrote on 2020-02-16, 10:10:

Kingston TurboChip is AM5x86, for sure you have Wrong Cache Setting/Jumpersetting on your Mainboard.

Check with a 5V CPU, DX2 66 or DX33 from intel.. if floppy works you know what the problem is.

Looks like you are correct. No more floppy disk fail with 486dx 33Mhz cpu.
Is there any way to get floppy drive to work with the turbochip?

Reply 11 of 12, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nevermind. Even if I don't get floppy drive fail error during post, it won't read any floppies. "Not ready reading drive A" error

Edit: It is reading floppies now. Good to know that there is actually nothing wrong with the motherboard itself. That "Not ready reading drive A" error was fixed when I did "Load bios defaults" in bios settings, so I don't actually know what setting caused it. There are so many more options in this bios compared to my other 486 motherboards so I don't know what all of them mean.

Reply 12 of 12, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I really don't understand these old motherboards sometimes. After I did load those bios defaults, no matter what settings I change in bios it doesn't seem to make the floppy drive stop working again. Even putting back that kingston turbochip doesn't make the floppy drive stop working again. Perhaps I have missed some specific setting that was wrong in bios when I had all that trouble with it.

The kingston turbochip seems to be really slow on this motherboard though based on some dos benchmarks. Norton sysinfo says it is even bit slower than 486dx2 66Mhz for example. On most other motherboards it is close to or beats 486dx4 100Mhz.