VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not very sure if this is the right place to post this but I found no other place to.
I am using XP+VDMSound as my main system and I'm happy with that, but I also dualboot with Windows 98 to use some DOS-Win95 games that refuse to run in WinXP. In XP the emulation is done via VDMSound (and I put it in autoexec.nt so no right-clicking and run with VDMSound) and is simply perfect (never had problems) and it is easy to change the interrupts, DMA and other stuff. In Windows 98, on the other hand, the emulation is done via SBEMUL.SYS, and it is emulting a 8-bit SBPro and I'm yet to find a way to configure it, at least to get 16-bit sound.
At first I was thinking it could be impossible, but then I viewed the file and found two "BLASTER" environment variable patterns: one with (something like) "A%3x I%x D%x P%3x T4" that is being used by the SBPro emulation and another one with "A%3x I%x D%x I%x P%3x T6", that is presumably used by SB16 emulation. I also found some sort of unicode registry paths: "\Registry\Machine\Software\Microsoft\Multimedia\WDMAudio\SBEmulator" (HKLM\Soft...\...\SBEmulator maybe?), "Devices\sbemul" (HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\...\...\sbemul" maybe?), and the following unicode names:
"Interrupe", "Dma8", "Dma16", BasePort" and "SoftFM". Has anyone ever messed with this? Has anyone ever configured the Windows sb emulator to emulate a SB16?

Thanks in advance

Just for information:
Motherboard - K8v-x SE
Processor - Athlon 64 3.0
Memory - 512MB
Video - GeForce FX 5200 128 MB
Sound - SoundMax Integrated (AD1980 - QuickView PRO uses it as a VIA sound card)

Reply 1 of 7, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why do you want SB emulation for? ms-dos games? It would be better using DOSBox, then.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IIRC, Windows 9x doesn't have sound emulation. up to your sound card drivers.

I'm not familiar with that soundcard but if they bothered to support 8bit then you'd think they'd bother to support 16bit.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 7, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why do you want SB emulation for? ms-dos games? It would be better using DOSBox, then.

I tried DOSBox once, but had speed problems with me... Maybe I'll try again, as it has been updated.

IIRC, Windows 9x doesn't have sound emulation. up to your sound card drivers.

Windows 98 SE and ME have sound emulation for WDM drivers without native support for DOS sound. I found references about this both here in the VDMSound Alpha for Win9x topic and in google searches and, also, if I remove the references to SBEMUL.SYS from my registry the SBPro support is disabled. This file comes from the Windows CD so there is no way it is specific for my sound driver.

Reply 4 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp … 9eef24f.xml.asp

Yep....it's pretty sad how much my 9x memory is fading. I think that's a good thing. Always loved DOS but hated 9x. 😀

Reply 5 of 7, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DosFreak: This page one of those I found, but nor Google web serach nor news group search provided me any information on how to configure it, not just to enable 16-bit sound but to change any of the other settings (8-bit DMA, IRQ and etc.).

About DOSBox, well, I haven't tested it because I've just bought VirtualPC 2004 and installed MS-DOS 7.10 in a virtual machine (from a Windows 98 bootdisk... well, I own a valid 98 copy) and it does a better job than Win98 when it comes to running DOS games that refuses to run in XP.

I guess the only way to discover this is to decompile the driver but I am not very skilled at this... Can someone please do this for me? I can obviously play my games using other methods but this could be a decent solution for those whose computers still have a 98SE/ME as a main system and want to get better sound quality/compatibility. Yeah, I know that there is a VDMSound Alpha for 9x, I have tested it, and its sound quality is great but it is as unstable as an Alpha is supposed to be.

Thanks everyone for the attention.

Reply 6 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

VPC is not a decent solution for DOS games. It's not designed for running DOS games and I dare say it never will be. Microsoft does not care about DOS. They haven't cared about DOS since 1994. To them DOS is something they wish would just go away. Yes, if your one of their high paying customers they may fix an issue for you but for the rest of us normal human beings your best solution is to use DosBox.

With the specs you posted DosBox should be just fine for you, it is for me with my 600+ DOS games on my XP 2800+.

You said previously that you had "speed problems" with DosBox. You probably didn't bother to configure DosBox correctly.

Reply 7 of 7, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

VPC is not a decent solution for DOS games. It's not designed for running DOS games and I dare say it never will be.

Well, I also like to install several operating system, so that's why I bothered getting it in the first place (if it were just for games I'd rather have bought an old and cheap Pentium 100 with a real SB16 or any other compatible sound card). It seems to run what I've got pretty well until now, probably because I haven't tested all my games, I just ran some of those I like most and they are mostly "well behaved" (many of them run well in XP).

You said previously that you had "speed problems" with DosBox. You probably didn't bother to configure DosBox correctly.

There have been updates since the last time I tried, besides I was still with my old computer (1.5Ghz), in which the Windows XP DOS emulator was still performing way better and way more compatible (specially when it comes to VESA, and the 32-bit support back them wasn't really good, and most of what I like to play is in protected mode). I think it has been arround one year since the last time I tested it... Ok, I'll give it another shot... But I'm aware of the configuration (I do read the "README"s of the software I download)