VOGONS

Common searches

Welcome to the updated VOGONS

Topic actions

Reply 540 of 743, by yourepicfailure

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Along the lines of the reaction image detection, I noticed if you have a line break between content and an in-body image (from anywhere), it also classifies as a "reaction" image.

In addition, I attempted to upload an image of a motherboard and apparently that's a reaction image too. Not even placed in the post body yet, just attached. Had to use a third party host to publish it.

I believe there should be at least a word count script that determines if a certain amout of textual content is present before activating the reaction image filter.

Reply 541 of 743, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As of today, the Stylus code that negated oldstyle numerals no longer seems to work:

:root { font-feature-settings: 'onum' 0; }

Does nothing.

What changed?

EDIT: OK it started working again, for no apparent reason 😖

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 542 of 743, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
red-ray wrote on 2020-02-12, 21:18:
red-ray wrote on 2020-02-12, 18:42:

A few days ago I first got the Some attachments are no longer available. Please check and re-attach any missing files. message, then it went away, but now it's back.

It's just done it again twice, but it seems if I make the post then edit it to add the attachment it seems to play nicely.

Update @ 23:55, I got the issue again and needed to make the post then edit it to add the attachment.

Yes, it's happening for me to without attempting to attach any weird image/meme, normal hw photo. And as you said editing the message and attaching it later works.

Reply 544 of 743, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HanJammer wrote on 2020-02-13, 14:06:

I'm having the "Reaction image posts are off-topic on VOGONS." bug as well. 😮

me too, what's up with that?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 548 of 743, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Now you are just being picky...

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 549 of 743, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not a big deal, but I kinda dislike how the new font renders numbers. They seem to jump up and down instead of being aligned with the letters and it just looks weird. Take a look at some of these examples:

SPDIF0 <- that's supposed to be a zero at the end
1234567890 <- numbers jumping up and down and varying in size

SPDIF0 <- now that's a proper zero
1234567890 <- no jumping

That weird zero might cause some confusion for people, and using code tags every time you type it isn't very convenient.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 550 of 743, by rfc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-02-23, 08:13:

SPDIF0 <- that's supposed to be a zero at the end
1234567890 <- numbers jumping up and down and varying in size

Didn't notice but now, can't unsee. The custom font used here looks that way => styles/vogons199x/theme/fonts/MerriweatherSans-Book.woff2 . The fallback, "Trebuchet MS", doesn't have this issue btw (and from a quick glance, also okay-ish to read). But for regular text, the custom font is quite pleasing.

Reply 551 of 743, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have complained about the Oldstyle Numerals many times but it doesn't seem to be recognized as an issue
In the meantime you can install Stylish and fix it manually.

Reply 552 of 743, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2020-02-24, 07:21:

I have complained about the Oldstyle Numerals many times but it doesn't seem to be recognized as an issue

I'm mostly concerned with how the number zero is displayed. Currently, it looks more like the lowercase letter O than a zero, which is kinda confusing. Have a look:

0 <- this is a zero
o <- this is a lowercase letter O
0o <- side by side

The other numbers jumping up and down looks weird, but you can still tell which is which.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 553 of 743, by Gernot66

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
junglemontana wrote on 2020-02-20, 09:26:

...thanks for staying in phpBB and not changing to any other forum software.

Such can cost you your whole community!

maintainer of "Phoenix" (Pioneer Space Sim derivate)
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/phoenix … erivate.506984/

Reply 554 of 743, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gernot66 wrote on 2020-02-27, 12:23:
junglemontana wrote on 2020-02-20, 09:26:

...thanks for staying in phpBB and not changing to any other forum software.

Such can cost you your whole community!

Leaving a community because of bulletin board software choice sounds stupid as hell but this is the internet and nothing surprises me.

Reply 555 of 743, by Gernot66

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The other numbers jumping up and down looks weird, but you can still tell which is which.

Artistic lettering, that might be ok for Herman Hesse and his tinkered typewriter and his letters to beloved ones, but it isn't good to read after all.
That you still can read the numbers is rooted in the numbers itself, even if not latin absolutely constructed to be read well under any circumstance.
Likewise the latin letters you can cripple them, you can mirror them, you can turn them upside down, they can be washed out by centuries and are still clear to read even if 2/3 is missing.
Do such with any else letters it isn't possible!
Forget a shitty dot in arabic and it means something complete different, you can l a v a w y hlf o txt ad y sill cn rd and it won't lose it's meaning.
No matter who invented it first - imho it wasn't the persians, american natives had a logical lettering system long before, it was just not to store text it was to store musical notes, but what makes the difference is the comprehensible system behind and not the difference in purpose, neither if them are knots and spaces in yarn.
What makes a letter to a letter is the comprehensibility and its logic, that i can construct a word, sentence by use of always the same system, not "oh i forgot a dot and now it means something different".
That little me from deep valley in switzerland can communicate with you and you will understand me even if i forget something or write something wrong.

some additional thoughts

Else yes the font is good to read and true zero is a slight disappointment.
Sorta "helvetica" i actually didn't remember who designed this font last century, but he removed the serifs and gave the letters a clearer to differ look.
It was if i remember this right, the same dude who designed most of the traffic signs (mostly our swiss ones, other countries have different but compare them they are all less good designed, less clear in their meaning, he was a huge designer even if it's not obvious and that he was infamous to public but exactly this makes it so good, decency.
The goal was a different one, my master was a chemist, old school, he did that to lead humanity in a better age, now it's done to boast the ego and to get rich and famous. It was as i guess the reason why he quit, he didn't talked often about his reasons to quit his job, but it has something to do with the sellout, the changed goals after WWII, the rise of bachelors and other parasites. In his words "we did many without to have long time experiences, we put it on the market and had no idea what the result in a long run will be" a thematic which is since a while actual again was "radical elements" not that he made a big thing of that "any cow eats it with the hey, it can't be that harmful", but there must have been a good reason why he (co-) invented "selgine" which was a toothpaste containing only the natural mineralisation from sea salt. Neither about this he liked to talk to much i can't tell exactly if he invented it or was just part of a team, his understatement was fairly big. What a difference! To be a genius but not to boast with. "i'm just a goats herder from Toggenburg" - "smell it Gernot on what reminds you this?" that's how i learned chemistry from him, because you won't forget what you smelled and due to correlation you will always remember the words as soon as you smell a substance, clever lad).

Sure he won't be pleased with numbers jumping up and down, this contradicts to the idea of "helvetica".
A stroked zero has a good reason.

Well, and to some this "0" is zero and to others "o", oh boy! awe 2!

Reply 556 of 743, by Gernot66

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

appiah4
Hmmm... yes they didn't left caused directly by the change of bulletin or provider.
Space Sim Central, changed it twice in the past decade, each change has cost some members or traffic overall.
Let's compare it to a brand, never change your logo!
However SSC isn't dead but there isn't much traffic anymore, see even i don't visit the site often anymore and i was a constant contributor.
One leads to the other, you miss a friend and he will and so on and over the years you lose the community.
What sense does it makes if i post there and no one, or not many will notice it? if i can't reach my friends anymore?
Sometimes i do but then i have to wait a month for a reply, before it was exactly what happened right now, a new reply flocked in while i was still typing.

It might have many reasons, maybe me i have some guilt to, in a farther sense.
"Pioneer" was a driving force on SSC i can say, even for sure it wasn't the only topic.
Imho the dissolve of our original team has cost some traffic to.
They haven't our spirit to be honest.
I mean i quit or had to quit my beloved Pioneer and i damned was one of the first contributors to this project.
We was a not to serious bunch of buddies and Pioneer was mostly fun, i always saw it as community driven.
I never saw it as a project which can only be maintained by skilled programmers.
Any idea was good to me how abstruse it might have sounded ever.
Best even if you have no idea about programming, these are the most fruitful new ideas.
Due to this "everyone is invited to contribute" the traffic was high.
But we needed a new developing team because the intentional dev. left because he haven't had the spare time to maintain it all.
These new dudes started to dissolve our democratic organized project "This isn't democracy Gernot it is meriocracy"
AHA! you (the dude who told me this) contributed up to now a nothing while i'm the oldest co-dev in the team? shouldn't it be me who claims such shit?
meriocracy, BS! you are just a blown up character, a typical bachelor, a wigstand.
And i promised them that it won't come to a good end.
maybe you got rid of the clown, but without him you get rid of a lot of spectators.

Reply 557 of 743, by Gernot66

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

He he
cybernetics
is what they claim is wrong.
but that is cybernetic, the flow of energy between ppl in a community.
you can't take one out and expect it will work the same with a different part (human).
i know cybernetic isn't the model they use now, now it's called "synergy" which means nothing else as "you work and i take the profit of it".
Bastards!

Example?
I'm unemployed since quite some years, i liked to be back in a job so i went to a social workplace to get a chance.
I'm a quite versatile craftsman i know, and i fixed their old bicycles for africa.
One of the bosses nearly each day came to me and offered me a coffee "astonishing mr. Schrader what you do!" - "astonishing how dutiful you are!".
I'm not the youngest anymore and i lost all my teeth, so he said: "i grant you personally that you will get teeth!"
i'm still waiting....

I make no promises, and for sure no promises i can't fulfill.

Personally!
It values a tart!
They can't keep promises it's all just hollow blah blah blah.
But me the "astonishing dutiful" has no job and when i had one i had a miserable income.

Reply 559 of 743, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
devius wrote on 2020-02-27, 15:48:

Wat 😦

I have no clue, these two are baffling me 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper