VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Eirle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

These are screenshots in PNG to compare the same frame with this cutscene in various video formats.
yes the aspect ratio is wrong but is to compare media formats

Original:Smack Video 640x240

Original.png
Filename
Original.png
File size
61.41 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

HEVC 640x240

HEVC.png
Filename
HEVC.png
File size
252.31 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

F4V 640x240

f4v.png
Filename
f4v.png
File size
258.79 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

MKV 640x240

mkv.png
Filename
mkv.png
File size
257.67 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Which one is with the best quality?

Last edited by Eirle on 2020-02-25, 05:00. Edited 6 times in total.

Why has God abandoned us?

Reply 2 of 5, by Eirle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2020-02-25, 03:23:

Isn't it obvious that only one of those has the correct aspect ratio?

I presume the 240p is normally supposed to be presented with scanlines.

I just screenshot the frame of the video player, also I don't understand about aspect ratio, that's why I came to Vogons.
I'm starting a project with a friend, remaster the sounds, cutscenes, and the soundtrack and maybe try to remake the soundtrack, and the make it compatible with Glidos, like the Tomb Raider.
Quite ambitious? YES
But is a personal project. And I have a love for Redguard, it seems that nobody cares about it, so I'm starting this little project, maybe someday I will make it works with Glidos and VDos32.
Also, GOG Dosbox version is pure crap, even with a "Gamer PC" you can't have good gameplay.
Of course, I want high-quality audio and cutscenes, so I have to use lossless formats to have this best quality in audio and video.
Unfortunately, this will be really hard to do.

Reply 3 of 5, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't think you'll see any improvement from a simple reencoding. More likely you'll see a loss of quality. You need to apply some sort of advanced upscaler. Also mkv and f4v are container formats. They don't determine the type of compression used.

Reply 4 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Eirle wrote on 2020-02-25, 04:17:

I don't understand about aspect ratio

You don't understand that an image looks wrong if it is squashed so that it's only half the height it is supposed to be!? This is not a new thing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio

When I say "scanlines", I mean that the video is normally displayed with a blank horizontal line inserted between each horizontal line of the frame.

I see you've edited your post so that they all have the wrong aspect ratio now.

Reply 5 of 5, by Eirle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Glidos wrote on 2020-02-25, 09:23:

I don't think you'll see any improvement from a simple reencoding. More likely you'll see a loss of quality. You need to apply some sort of advanced upscaler. Also mkv and f4v are container formats. They don't determine the type of compression used.

Thanks for replying. I was wondering already about Waifu2x, Anime4K or pay someone to use AI to upscale the frames.