VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by oldgamer85

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there any version of dosbox that supports super resolutions (2560x240,etc)?

I am trying to display dosbox games in fullscreen mode on a consumer 15KHz crt TV, meaning 320x200, 320x240 without double scan.

But I couldnt find a way to make dosbox use super resolutions, I think they just aren't available (or I'm just too dumb to find).

Retroarch does support super resolutions, but I'm having some problems with the dosbox cores which don't occur with stand alone dosbox so I prefer the latter.

If you haven't heard of super resolutions:

Because of the lower pixel clock limit of modern devices, original resolutions such as 320x200@60 have too low a pixel clock and will simply not work.

So people in emulation have resorted to using super resolutions which in essence are resolutions whose horizontal dimension is an integer multiple of the original res of an application.

Reply 1 of 12, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is a really interesting concept. I haven't heard of a version of DOSBox that supports this, though.

Kind of sounds like it would require special hardware though.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 2 of 12, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oldgamer85 wrote on 2020-01-31, 21:17:
Is there any version of dosbox that supports super resolutions (2560x240,etc)? […]
Show full quote

I am trying to display dosbox games in fullscreen mode on a consumer 15KHz crt TV, meaning 320x200, 320x240 without double scan.

But I couldnt find a way to make dosbox use super resolutions, I think they just aren't available (or I'm just too dumb to find).

Retroarch does support super resolutions, but I'm having some problems with the dosbox cores which don't occur with stand alone dosbox so I prefer the latter.

Because of the lower pixel clock limit of modern devices, original resolutions such as 320x200@60 have too low a pixel clock and will simply not work.

So people in emulation have resorted to using super resolutions which in essence are resolutions whose horizontal dimension is an integer multiple of the original res of an application.

Hi, i understand your problem, specially with intel integrated graphics, that the minimum clock is 20mhz, i dont know unofficial version of dosbox, but at least official one dont support super resolutions

But is very easy to moddify dosbox, just you need to change this lines and compile

In "render_scalers.cpp" look for normal2x

ScalerSimpleBlock_t ScaleNormal2x = { "Normal2x", GFX_CAN_8|GFX_CAN_15|GFX_CAN_16|GFX_CAN_32, 2,2,{ […]
Show full quote

ScalerSimpleBlock_t ScaleNormal2x = {
"Normal2x",
GFX_CAN_8|GFX_CAN_15|GFX_CAN_16|GFX_CAN_32,
2,2,{

change to 2,1 for 320x200>640x200 for example (or 4,1 for 1280x200)

ScalerSimpleBlock_t ScaleNormal2x = { "Normal2x", GFX_CAN_8|GFX_CAN_15|GFX_CAN_16|GFX_CAN_32, 2,1,{ […]
Show full quote

ScalerSimpleBlock_t ScaleNormal2x = {
"Normal2x",
GFX_CAN_8|GFX_CAN_15|GFX_CAN_16|GFX_CAN_32,
2,1,{

and in "render_templates.h"

#define SCALERNAME Normal2x #define SCALERWIDTH 2 #define SCALERHEIGHT 2 #define SCALERFUNC \ line0[0] = P; \ […]
Show full quote

#define SCALERNAME Normal2x
#define SCALERWIDTH 2
#define SCALERHEIGHT 2
#define SCALERFUNC \
line0[0] = P; \
line0[1] = P; \
line1[0] = P; \
line1[1] = P;

change to 2,1 again or 4,1 and remove the second lines

#define SCALERNAME Normal2x #define SCALERWIDTH 2 #define SCALERHEIGHT 1 #define SCALERFUNC \ line0[0] = P; \ […]
Show full quote

#define SCALERNAME Normal2x
#define SCALERWIDTH 2
#define SCALERHEIGHT 1
#define SCALERFUNC \
line0[0] = P; \
line0[1] = P;

Then you will have what do you want in surface, ddraw and overlay modes

640x200

640x200.png
Filename
640x200.png
File size
36.91 KiB
Views
File comment
640x200
File license
Public domain

1280x200

1280x200.png
Filename
1280x200.png
File size
133.75 KiB
Views
File comment
1280x200
File license
Public domain

beside resolution, my advice is for VGA to make a resolution AS MUCH close to 70hz you can. My Sony Trinitron can do 67hz at 15.12khz, and this is very important, since VGA 200px games run at 70hz

EGA and CGA are 60hz, and Hercules 50hz, no problem here

Good luck

Reply 3 of 12, by Dochartaigh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would see if there's any enterprising souls who have used GroovyMAME/CRT Emudriver to this effect. Yes, that's named after MAME but people use it for any number of emulators - it does all those super resolutions to great effect. The GroovyMAME forum is: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/

I use this to get 15khz to my Sony PVM and BVM professional CRT monitors from my computers so I can play games in their native resolutions.

keenmaster486 wrote on 2020-02-01, 18:15:

This is a really interesting concept. I haven't heard of a version of DOSBox that supports this, though.

GroovyMAME / CRT Emudriver I mentioned above needs an ATI Radeon video card of which there's MANY models to choose from. I started with a HD 6450 but now use a AMD Radeon R7 250 in my GroovyMAME Hyperspin build.

There's another program which does similar which is called Soft15khz which works on some other brands of cards. There's even a branch of one of these which works with some integrated graphics cards, but you have to boot into Linux I believe.

Reply 4 of 12, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dochartaigh wrote on 2020-02-01, 19:19:
I would see if there's any enterprising souls who have used GroovyMAME/CRT Emudriver to this effect. Yes, that's named after MAM […]
Show full quote

I would see if there's any enterprising souls who have used GroovyMAME/CRT Emudriver to this effect. Yes, that's named after MAME but people use it for any number of emulators - it does all those super resolutions to great effect. The GroovyMAME forum is: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/

I use this to get 15khz to my Sony PVM and BVM professional CRT monitors from my computers so I can play games in their native resolutions.

keenmaster486 wrote on 2020-02-01, 18:15:

GroovyMAME / CRT Emudriver I mentioned above needs an ATI Radeon video card of which there's MANY models to choose from. I started with a HD 6450 but now use a AMD Radeon R7 250 in my GroovyMAME Hyperspin build.

There's another program which does similar which is called Soft15khz which works on some other brands of cards. There's even a branch of one of these which works with some integrated graphics cards, but you have to boot into Linux I believe.

In fact, dont need any special driver, just stock ati drivers and winmodelines or any other modeline generator

In my opinion the best ATI card are 4xxx series, i use a low profile 4550, support low clock, and in 31khz, doublescan modes. After 4xxx series, too many restrictions

Reply 5 of 12, by oldgamer85

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
theelf wrote on 2020-02-01, 19:04:

Hi, i understand your problem, specially with intel integrated graphics, that the minimum clock is 20mhz, i dont know unofficial version of dosbox, but at least official one dont support super resolutions

But is very easy to moddify dosbox, just you need to change this lines and compile...

Hi there, thank you for posting this. I'll set up a dev environment here and try your suggestions.

beside resolution, my advice is for VGA to make a resolution AS MUCH close to 70hz you can. My Sony Trinitron can do 67hz at 15.12khz, and this is very important, since VGA 200px games run at 70hz

Good luck

Have you tried pushing 70hz to your Trinitron? I've tried here and could not get it to sync to 70Hz regardless of the timings of the signal. But I can get a Toshiba to work normally with 70Hz, seems like a limitation of the Trinitron.

Reply 7 of 12, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oldgamer85 wrote on 2020-02-03, 02:47:
Hi there, thank you for posting this. I'll set up a dev environment here and try your suggestions. […]
Show full quote
theelf wrote on 2020-02-01, 19:04:

But is very easy to moddify dosbox, just you need to change this lines and compile...

Hi there, thank you for posting this. I'll set up a dev environment here and try your suggestions.

Good luck

Have you tried pushing 70hz to your Trinitron? I've tried here and could not get it to sync to 70Hz regardless of the timings of the signal. But I can get a Toshiba to work normally with 70Hz, seems like a limitation of the Trinitron.

Hi, mingw in windows is a must in a 15khz enviroment (and in ANY enviroment!!), most emulators need some tweak for super resolutions, specially if you PC is not powerful and OpenGL is not a option, like ScummVM, that only give you 1x,2x and 3x and OpenGL, the the only option to me, was edit source code and make a custom build

If you have problems with compiling, i can do a custom build for you, but until next week will be difficult because im working outside, not in home

About the TV question, i have 4 TV CRT in my house right now, 2 sony trinitron, one Samsung and one Beko, one trinitron reach 67hz, the other 64, the samsung 62, and Beko 64, over this values, i get out of signal or bad picture

Good luck with mingw

Reply 8 of 12, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oldgamer85 wrote on 2020-01-31, 21:17:
Is there any version of dosbox that supports super resolutions (2560x240,etc)? […]
Show full quote

Hi, finally did you success to build a custom dosbox?

Reply 10 of 12, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oldgamer85 wrote on 2020-02-16, 00:21:

Not yet, I still need to install some new SSDs I got to finally install a proper dev environment.

Hi, test this one, use 1280x200 for 320x200 in fullscreen

*OLD VERSION - CHECK LAST POST*

It works here with my intel x4500

Last edited by theelf on 2020-02-25, 22:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 12, by oldgamer85

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yep, this works. 200p games get 1280x200 in fulscreen, and 240p games get 1280x240 in fullscreen. I also get these resolutions in windowed mode when the game executable in run. Also, there was some vertical scanlines effect. Don't know if this was intentional or not.

I'm still setting up my stuff here, that's why I was taking long to respond.

Reply 12 of 12, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oldgamer85 wrote on 2020-02-25, 22:17:

Yep, this works. 200p games get 1280x200 in fulscreen, and 240p games get 1280x240 in fullscreen. I also get these resolutions in windowed mode when the game executable in run. Also, there was some vertical scanlines effect. Don't know if this was intentional or not.

I'm still setting up my stuff here, that's why I was taking long to respond.

wow.can you see the vertical scanlines? your TV have very good resolution! i cant see the lines in my two 14 inch TVs

I did to make scaling faster. Here you have a full scaling

https://www.mediafire.com/file/k7i4ntdyknww18 … dosbox.zip/file

I think Dosbox *need* or *must* integrate some super resolutions, since most if not all new gfx cards cant do low clocks, i write in feature request about this