VOGONS

First post, by BigDaddyM

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi everyone! 😀
This is my first post on this forum so i get to the point.

I am having a problem installing the VIA 4in1 drivers for my system. I do a clean install of Win98SE, next step i do is install VIA 4in1 drivers (4.17, 4.23, 4.37, 4.43) and here is my problem because when ill try install them i get the message "Registry error!Please reboot computer". Only when i install VIA Hyperion installation finish with succes but my system is unstable. I have try with two graphic cards: TNT2M64 and Trident 9880, two HDDs 8GB and 40GB. No results when I load Fail-Safe/Optimized Defaults in BIOS. I dont have a PCI sound card or other HDDs.

My specs:
MSI 694 Pro V5.0 (MS-6309)
PIII-S 1.4 Tualatin
512MB RAM PC133 (one stick)
8GB HDD (primary master)
Lite-ON CD-RW (secondary slave)

On my previous mobo ECS P6VXAT everything was just fine.

Reply 1 of 10, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From https://web.archive.org/web/20030301190301/ht … 3&faq=7&Search=

Question: I am getting a registry error at the end of installing the 4in1 drivers. […]
Show full quote

Question:
I am getting a registry error at the end of installing the 4in1 drivers.

Answer:
Troubleshooting suggestions:
1) You may have a patch or software that is not Microsoft certified which is conflicting with the 4in1 drivers dll files which are Microsfot certified. Remove any suspect software.
2) Make sure both your IDEs and USB are enabled in the BIOS.
3) Clear your cache and download the drivers again. There may have been an interuption to your connection when you downloaded them which corrupted the file.
4) Try installing in safe mode

Reply 2 of 10, by BigDaddyM

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry, but that dont work for me. I am getting a registry error befor drivers start to install. Now i changed hdd forom 8gig to 40gig and i can install v4.43, then i lnstalled dx7, unofficial service pack and some programs and now i can istal via4in1 drivers v4.37. I used drivers 30.82 and 40.somethin but every game crashes. With 30.82 I have no AGP texturing in dxdiag, with detonators 40 this option is appear

Reply 3 of 10, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It looks like your motherboard supports processors only in the 500 MHz-1.2 GHz range. Do you have a slower compatible processor that you could try?

Looking at an online manual for the motherboard, it appears that it ships with a CD-ROM with drivers. Do those not work?

Reply 4 of 10, by BigDaddyM

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nope, my mobo i supporting tualatin 1.4s just fine. When i bought this mobo i just swap it with the old one and everything work stable, Quake3, 3Dmark99 and 2000. I was doing this without format, old Windows 98 with mess with various VGA drivers.

Now im gonna download other versions of via4in1 drivers and check if they will install. My last idea is install Win98 +via4in1 on my old mobo and then I will will change mobos.

I don't hev a CD with drivers for the motherboard

Reply 5 of 10, by SaxxonPike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I realize this is really old, but I got this error message today and I figured out what it was. I'm sure other people who are looking for a solution to this will also want something to try.

I had both IDE channels disabled in the BIOS. That's because I'm using other IDE controllers. 4-in-1 will refuse to install if it doesn't find at least one VIA IDE controller. After I turned onboard IDE on in the BIOS, things worked. This happened on every version I have: 1425, 1435, 1448. I can only guess the presence of this device is used to determine some other installation procedure down the line.

Sound device guides:
Sound Blaster
Aztech
OPL3-SA

Reply 6 of 10, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice ! thank you.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 8 of 10, by Kasreyn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SaxxonPike wrote on 2020-02-26, 15:29:

I had both IDE channels disabled in the BIOS. That's because I'm using other IDE controllers. 4-in-1 will refuse to install if it doesn't find at least one VIA IDE controller.

Applies also to HP-T5710 ThinClient even if it has no such options in BIOS. Registry error unless you first install Q245682 IDE hotfix for Win98.

"This is required to make the thin client IDE controller work correctly in Windows 98"
https://www.jamesfmackenzie.com/2021/07/11/in … p-compaq-t5710/

Reply 10 of 10, by _StIwY_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello, same problem here. Never happened before. I usually install Via 4in1 4.35, but they give the "Registry error! Please reboot" right before installation begins. Also when i reboot CD-ROM and USB controller disappears from Windows 98.

IDE controllers / USB controllers are Enabled, there is nothing wrong at the BIOS.