Proposed OS/2 Build

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 26, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I installed OS/2 Warp 4.52.

I also installed fixpack 6 and device fixpack 3 I think.

Just can't get the matrox driver to do anything other than crash and display flashing cursor. Might need to move to another, maybe slower computer. Might enjoy wider compatibility with devices and drivers. I've also tried the Matrox driver with a PCI G200 card I have, still same problem. I tried the builtin driver for the G200, it works but doesn't seem accelerated (window moves are SLOWWWW in 24bit color)

Win NT4 is another interesting system I haven't used in years, this could be a good system for that instead!

Reply 21 of 26, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why are you using the proprietary Matrox driver when I repeatedly pointed out that the Scitech SNAP driver is the way to go? 🙁

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 22 of 26, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Appiah4 - because I have to learn everything the HARD way, that is why.

I've installed the latest Scitech SNAP driver, as sort of a last resort, and yes, it works quite well, with desktop acceleration and full resolution support.

So yeah, flay away 😜

Do you know of a good web browser for this machine? Or has that ship sailed now!

Reply 23 of 26, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

🤣 glad it worked.. I never install OS/2 without the SNAP drivers personally 😀

IBM WebExplorer is ancient news so unless you want to suffer that for nostalgia's sake (it was my first web browser) there is a recent-ish port of Firefox. There is also Warpzilla.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 24 of 26, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To be fair to myself, I did try the SNAP driver that shipped with OS/2 4.52, but that version hardlocked the system during startup.

Only installing the latest downloaded version works properly on this system.

Reply 25 of 26, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Very nice! I have a real soft spot for OS/2, and that's a pretty sweet config.

I've got an OS/2 machine too - Pentium3/700 on a 440BX board with an ESS 1868 card and nVidia Quadro graphics (which is mostly useful when I dual-boot to Windows 98 or 2000). My ESS card never gave me grief, but OTOH, I used Warp 4. But on the gripping hand, the first machine I used OS/2 on was a 486 with an ESS 1868, under Warp 3, and that worked great. I'm not sure what was going on with that - card's busted, maybe?

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 26 of 26, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice. SMP is mostly pointless in OS/2, it's only available in ArcaOS, and Warp Advanced Server as mentioned. Not all drivers are SMP safe either, despite the fact they only run on CPU 0.

You'll need to upgrade to the latest service pack and run the latest patched kernel to effectively run Firefox, or other modern apps such as Acrobat, or Libreoffice.

Some sound card drivers are better than others, and until late on in OS/2 lifetime the mixer control was lacking. You can also download Uniaud for improved compatibility with modern cards. At the time I ran an AWE32, I need to find which card I placed in my modern ArcaOS system, but it was a bit of a pain finding one that was half decent, and also worked in a Core2Quad system.

I don't know why the G400 isn't working, I ran a G400 MAX for years across several OS including OS/2, and it was rock solid.