VOGONS

First post, by Zuon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Release Trailer:
https://youtu.be/BA8JKyOHg1k

The MS-DOS port of Mega Man X was actually pretty well done, aside from one problem... the default music sounded terrible. And what's Rockman without the ROCK?

I set out to remedy this problem by scavenging out some better MIDI renditions of the original songs, converting them to the game's native XMI format, putting in the correct loop points and attempting to get the file sizes down enough so the game doesn't crash with an error. I just finished all the songs no less than 10 minutes ago, and haven't been able to test it tonight. In the meantime, I am putting the files up for download in case anyone here wants to give it a go.

Apart from the link below, I will be attaching the "XMI.ZIP" file to this post as well. Take your pick which one you click.

Download :
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LLtQusVM9zq … O2Y9oFtdmCHXCq8

To install the mod, extract the "XMI" folder in the zip file to Mega Man X's root directory, overwriting the files in the already existing "XMI" folder. You'll know if it worked just by going into the game and listening. And be sure to select "General MIDI" in the game's SOUND.BAT file to get the awesome music.
Although the examples provided in the Google Drive link were being played with a sound font using VirtualMidiSynth, this mod was intended to run on the Roland Sound Canvas line, specifically the SC-55 with its 28 voice polyphony. Please let me know if you have any issues.

Attachments

• Filename
    XMI.zip
    File size
    62.4 KiB
    Downloads
    415 downloads
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by Zuon on 2020-02-28, 20:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 16, by Zuon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Vanessaira wrote on 2020-02-27, 23:39:

Awesome! I will try this out with my MIDI setup soon. Great work!

Glad you're interested! I'm actually recording a mock trailer for this mod at the moment. When it's finished, I'll edit my main post to embed it here in the forum. In the meantime, please let me know your experience with the mod.

Reply 3 of 16, by Vanessaira

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Zuon wrote on 2020-02-28, 05:56:

Glad you're interested! I'm actually recording a mock trailer for this mod at the moment. When it's finished, I'll edit my main post to embed it here in the forum. In the meantime, please let me know your experience with the mod.

I am going to do an article as well if that's okay with you? Maybe even a video as well doing a showcase.

An Analog Girl in a Digital World

Reply 4 of 16, by Zuon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Vanessaira wrote on 2020-02-28, 06:20:

I am going to do an article as well if that's okay with you? Maybe even a video as well doing a showcase.

Yeah, absolutely. My trailer is also currently uploading on Youtube right now, and should be ready within the hour.
Edit: It's done. Added the link to the original post.

Reply 5 of 16, by Vanessaira

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Zuon wrote on 2020-02-28, 20:11:

Yeah, absolutely. My trailer is also currently uploading on Youtube right now, and should be ready within the hour.

Got it working with a MU2000 EX. Sounds amazing but the game crashes to DOS after the first stage.

I tried a fix that someone else did on this forum who had the same issues, but did not resolve it.

Reply 6 of 16, by Zuon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Vanessaira wrote on 2020-02-29, 01:55:

Got it working with a MU2000 EX. Sounds amazing but the game crashes to DOS after the first stage.

I tried a fix that someone else did on this forum who had the same issues, but did not resolve it.

This is actually related to the game itself. Every version I downloaded prior also crashed after the first stage (after the Save Game screen), and it wasn't until I dug out my original CD that I found that, at least for me, I'm only able to continue past the first stage if I install the game from the installer on the CD. I don't need to keep the CD inserted to play, but if I copy the game's folder somewhere else, or even rename the folder, the crashes come back. I suspect this is some form of copy protection, as this is coincidentally where the shareware demo of MegaMan X ends.

The same applies in DOSBOX too, if you're doing the emulation route. Never change the folder names or mount a different directory as the virtual "C:\" drive or the crashes will happen again.

Edit: I should mention this directory related crash happens both with the vanilla version the Installer copies over, AND with my modded version.

Reply 7 of 16, by Vanessaira

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Zuon wrote on 2020-02-29, 03:07:
This is actually related to the game itself. Every version I downloaded prior also crashed after the first stage (after the Save […]
Show full quote
Vanessaira wrote on 2020-02-29, 01:55:

This is actually related to the game itself. Every version I downloaded prior also crashed after the first stage (after the Save Game screen), and it wasn't until I dug out my original CD that I found that, at least for me, I'm only able to continue past the first stage if I install the game from the installer on the CD. I don't need to keep the CD inserted to play, but if I copy the game's folder somewhere else, or even rename the folder, the crashes come back. I suspect this is some form of copy protection, as this is coincidentally where the shareware demo of MegaMan X ends.

The same applies in DOSBOX too, if you're doing the emulation route. Never change the folder names or mount a different directory as the virtual "C:\" drive or the crashes will happen again.

Edit: I should mention this directory related crash happens both with the vanilla version the Installer copies over, AND with my modded version.

WOW, that was it. I had recently installed Win 10 and triple boot Win 7, 10, and Linux and had completely rearranged my drives and my game storage. Reinstalling from CD within DOSBox solved it.

I posted an article and I hope to have a video up shortly. Thank you again. All credit went to you and the forums as well.

https://www.retrorgb.com/mega-man-x-pc-dos-mu … c-overhaul.html

Reply 8 of 16, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

amazing mod will post the trailer on PCMIDI fb group 😁
thanks for sharing this Zuon!

edit:
@Vanessaira
huge fan of Bob and his site + weekly news thanks for contributing to them!
you people bring projects to the masses - the only problem? not enough time and money to enjoy all! 🤣 🤣 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 9 of 16, by Zuon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote on 2020-02-29, 16:12:
amazing mod will post the trailer on PCMIDI fb group :D thanks for sharing this Zuon! […]
Show full quote

amazing mod will post the trailer on PCMIDI fb group 😁
thanks for sharing this Zuon!

edit:
@
huge fan of Bob and his site + weekly news thanks for contributing to them!
you people bring projects to the masses - the only problem? not enough time and money to enjoy all! 🤣 🤣 🤣

I'm glad to help both of you. This is a very niche project that only I seemed to want to do, and I'm glad there are people that like the idea enough to download it. Just a question. I also have converted an XMI for the Cast Roll/Highway theme at the end of the Super Nintendo version that is not present in the DOS version (the DOS version skips to the rolling credits after the ending cutscene - the highway running part is not present.) Would anyone here like me to upload that XMI to the folder anyway as a bonus, in case they prefer replacing the stock credits music with the Cast Roll theme? I personally like that song more for a credits screen, but I wasn't sure if I should include it, as I was afraid of making unnecessary clutter. I also have not tested this song in-game, or even really tested the mod all that thoroughly. My only reason is I am not good at playing Mega Man X.

Edit: Also, thank you, Vanessaira, Keropi, and everyone else who chooses to share this around. I'm happy to have support for this project, as I feel this game deserves the better sounding music. Compared to previous Mega Man games on MS-DOS, this port is actually pretty faithfully done in all other aspects. I just wanted to bring out the best in it.

Reply 10 of 16, by MrKsoft

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey, from what I was able to test this sounds great. I'm glad you decided to make the effort to improve the music.

Not an issue with the modded music, but I figure this might be as good a thread as any to ask about how to get this buggy port to work properly. I installed from CD so no copy protection trouble but the game doesn't work with General MIDI. The entire system freezes as soon as X teleports in. The game works fine with OPL3 selected instead of General MIDI. (That said, the improved music still sounds decent on OPL3... a big upgrade nonetheless!) This is on an Am5x86@160mhz with a SB16 CT2230 and a NEC XR385 MIDI daughterboard. And there's another thing... I can get to the stage select but after selecting a stage, I get the robot master intro and then a black screen when the stage should appear. Similar to the copy protection issue but a little later. Does anyone know what's up with this? The game is unplayable.

Wafflenet OPL Archive - Preserving MS-DOS music in a unified format!

Reply 11 of 16, by Zuon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MrKsoft wrote on 2020-03-02, 00:57:

Hey, from what I was able to test this sounds great. I'm glad you decided to make the effort to improve the music.

Not an issue with the modded music, but I figure this might be as good a thread as any to ask about how to get this buggy port to work properly. I installed from CD so no copy protection trouble but the game doesn't work with General MIDI. The entire system freezes as soon as X teleports in. The game works fine with OPL3 selected instead of General MIDI. (That said, the improved music still sounds decent on OPL3... a big upgrade nonetheless!) This is on an Am5x86@160mhz with a SB16 CT2230 and a NEC XR385 MIDI daughterboard. And there's another thing... I can get to the stage select but after selecting a stage, I get the robot master intro and then a black screen when the stage should appear. Similar to the copy protection issue but a little later. Does anyone know what's up with this? The game is unplayable.

I have not experienced these issues in particular, so unfortunately I can't be much help. I have tested this myself on the Fujitsu laptop in the video (32MB RAM, ESS AudioDrive 1868f, Pentium 133 CPU) as well as DOSBOX, and the freezes have not happened at the stage start in either scenario. I did run into "Buffer Overflow Error" issues on both if the file size of all of a stage's songs exceed a certain amount, but I haven't tested other than 32MB RAM, so I am unsure if this is related, as you have stated this is the game's issue, not with my music..

Reply 12 of 16, by Vanessaira

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Interesting, I will try to test this as soon as I can. I am in the middle of rebuilding 3 computers. 😒 but I will let you know.

Reply 13 of 16, by Xenphor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm trying this game again after getting a Freesync monitor because I thought the horrible stuttering was mostly related to the typical refresh rate issues that occur with dos games in dosbox. Unfortunately, unless something isn't working right, Freesync doesn't help this game out at all. I honestly can't even make it through the first stage without having to look away from the screen periodically. Does it really run this badly on real hardware or is my setup messed up? Freesync works wonders for some of the other games I've tried so I don't know what else to do. I would like to try the music out, but I'm not sure if my eyes can handle it.

Reply 14 of 16, by Zuon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Xenphor wrote on 2020-03-11, 05:06:

I'm trying this game again after getting a Freesync monitor because I thought the horrible stuttering was mostly related to the typical refresh rate issues that occur with dos games in dosbox. Unfortunately, unless something isn't working right, Freesync doesn't help this game out at all. I honestly can't even make it through the first stage without having to look away from the screen periodically. Does it really run this badly on real hardware or is my setup messed up? Freesync works wonders for some of the other games I've tried so I don't know what else to do. I would like to try the music out, but I'm not sure if my eyes can handle it.

I don't experience any refresh rate related tearing or stutters on my Windows 98/MS-DOS laptop, and it has a really old 60hz SVGA TFT color screen. Whenever I play certain DOS games in DOSBOX however, the screen tearing is really jarring and distracting.

Reply 15 of 16, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh my gawd! Really cool oie-transparent-3.png bro!
Unluckily it only partially works with the japanese windows95 version, it hangs after introducing the stage you selected. It works with vanilla files.

*EDIT*
I fixed the problem, I had to use original "s_demo.xmi" file. Other than the win version being utter crap even compared to Dos one and crashing every here and there (crash after a while being in the weapon selection menu comes to my mind), it now seems to run correctly.

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 16 of 16, by Zuon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Myloch wrote on 2020-11-20, 18:04:
Oh my gawd! Really cool https://i.ibb.co/C5nV02R/oie-transparent-3.png bro! Unluckily it only partially works with the japanese […]
Show full quote

Oh my gawd! Really cool oie-transparent-3.png bro!
Unluckily it only partially works with the japanese windows95 version, it hangs after introducing the stage you selected. It works with vanilla files.

*EDIT*
I fixed the problem, I had to use original "s_demo.xmi" file. Other than the win version being utter crap even compared to Dos one and crashing every here and there (crash after a while being in the weapon selection menu comes to my mind), it now seems to run correctly.

Apologies for necroing this thread, but I wished to respond to this person regarding what happened in the Windows version.

The mod wasn't as easy as converting the MIDIs to XMI and calling it a day. I also needed to delete notes, combine instruments that could be to the same channel, and if there were any effects such as stereo panning, optimize the transition of the effect to shave off file size. Upon loading any stage (or Menu) in Mega Man X, if the file size of all tracks used in that stage (they're loaded all at once) exceeds a certain size, the game will crash with a "Song Buffer Overflow" error. In the Windows port, you have some slight data overhead just from the transition to the Windows OS, so that s_demo.xmi is enough to crash it anyway. You just don't get to read the error seeing as it's not kicking you to DOS. This is also the reason why some songs, such as the Intro and Outro to each stage, feel a bit rushed or lacking in punch. I put more priority into making the main stages sound as intended without crashing the game. The shorter fanfares needed to be sacrificed more drastically to keep the file size under the limit.