VOGONS

First post, by skel2raw

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys,

I would like to easily switch between the Midi devices (MT32, SC55, SC88, SC8820, Yamaha MU80) I have connected to my pc retro build. Depending on the game I am playing I would like to easily switch between the devices without using their midi thru ports.
Do you know of any sort of midi switch, hub etc. which simply has a midi in and a couple of midi outs between which I can easily switch?

Thx!

Reply 1 of 46, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

motu microlite, motu midiexpress, roland mpu 104+105 in combo, midisport 4x4 maybe.
there are lots of midi switchers/selectors.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 2 of 46, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can also use a simple AT style keyboard switch or a really old KVM switch.

That will be your cheapest option.

Do a search on eBay for:
Din-5 switch

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 46, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I use an Edirol 550 (5 in plus 5 out), the 880 does 8 in 8 out. The advantage over a simple switch is that you can use one source for multiple outputs at the same time. Plus nice snazzy 19" rackmount. However cyclone3d's suggestion is most definitely cheaper.

Reply 4 of 46, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

a lot of newer units too are usb controlled and have no switches for manual selection, which is something to be aware off.

ie: emagic amt-8 vs akai me30pii

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 5 of 46, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a Casio TB-1 (2 in, 8 out) and a Midiman Thru 3x8 (3 in, 8 out). Both are really nice as they work as more of a matrix and you can route multiple PCs or sequencers to a stack of sound modules however you like. 100% physical button switching, no USB needed.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 6 of 46, by skel2raw

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you guys for the suggestions!

BloodyCactus wrote on 2020-03-04, 15:53:

motu microlite, motu midiexpress, roland mpu 104+105 in combo, midisport 4x4 maybe.
there are lots of midi switchers/selectors.

Why would I need both? Are they not simply the same thing with one of them just having one more output?

Reply 7 of 46, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

no the mpu 104 is an input selector, so eg: you could connect your ryzen 90000, your xp, your k6, your pcjr and your atari st to it. (it has 5 inputs, 1 output)

the mpu 105 is an output selector, all your modules plug into it (it has 1 input, 5 outputs). you can activate none, 1, or all outputs at same time.

Reply 8 of 46, by skel2raw

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-03-04, 16:02:
You can also use a simple AT style keyboard switch or a really old KVM switch. […]
Show full quote

You can also use a simple AT style keyboard switch or a really old KVM switch.

That will be your cheapest option.

Do a search on eBay for:
Din-5 switch

That is actually a very nice idea. never realized that midi and AT style keyboard have the same connection.

Reply 9 of 46, by skel2raw

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BloodyCactus wrote on 2020-03-04, 20:34:

no the mpu 104 is an input selector, so eg: you could connect your ryzen 90000, your xp, your k6, your pcjr and your atari st to it. (it has 5 inputs, 1 output)

the mpu 105 is an output selector, all your modules plug into it (it has 1 input, 5 outputs). you can activate none, 1, or all outputs at same time.

Ah I see. But looking at the prices I guess it would make more sense to get a motu micro lite.

Reply 10 of 46, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
skel2raw wrote on 2020-03-04, 20:43:

Ah I see. But looking at the prices I guess it would make more sense to get a motu micro lite.

Don't assume eBay prices are the only deal in town. You can find this sort of stuff much cheaper through classified ads. My Edirol UM-550 cost me EUR 50 and I barely missed out an an MPU-105 for half that.

Reply 11 of 46, by skel2raw

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote on 2020-03-04, 21:00:
skel2raw wrote on 2020-03-04, 20:43:

Don't assume eBay prices are the only deal in town. You can find this sort of stuff much cheaper through classified ads. My Edirol UM-550 cost me EUR 50 and I barely missed out an an MPU-105 for half that.

Where for instance can I find this kind of stuff?

Reply 12 of 46, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you located in the USA? If so, there is always Reverb and Guitar Center.

A lot of pawn shops also tend to have a lot of used audio gear.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 14 of 46, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok, so just get one of those old 4-way switch boxes with the DIN-5 connectors. If you need to switch between more than just 4 external midi devices, just get however many you need and daisy-chain them.

Each box you add will net you an additional 3 output selections.

Edit:
You could always just build yourself one with a rotary switch, project box, and the appropriate number of DIN-5 connectors.

Here is an example of a 24-position, 2-pole rotary switch. I think the 3rd wire used (ground) could just be connected all together and shouldn't need to be switched.

24-position_2-pole_rotary_switch.jpg
Filename
24-position_2-pole_rotary_switch.jpg
File size
234.13 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

It looks like you can go all the way up to 36 position rotary switches.. but those are getting way up in price.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 16 of 46, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
imi wrote on 2020-03-04, 22:29:

if you use a manual switch just don't switch during playback ^^

Ha.. true that.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 18 of 46, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
skel2raw wrote on 2020-03-04, 21:52:

In Germany... For some reason, all the cool electronics stuff is in the US 🙁

You sure? I live in NL and have the feeling most is in DE 😜

Anyway, check eBay Kleinanzeigen. That works more like Craigslist than the regular eBay with prices to match.

Reply 19 of 46, by skel2raw

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote on 2020-03-05, 07:00:
skel2raw wrote on 2020-03-04, 21:52:

In Germany... For some reason, all the cool electronics stuff is in the US 🙁

You sure? I live in NL and have the feeling most is in DE 😜

Anyway, check eBay Kleinanzeigen. That works more like Craigslist than the regular eBay with prices to match.

Ok, I stand corrected... Most of the cool electronics are in the US AND Japan. I was just searching for the Edirol UM550/880. The UM880 looks so beautiful and does exactly what I need. It's like love at first sight. The problem is the ones on eBay are mostly from Japan with 100v. On Kleinanzeigen etc. I couldn't even find one offer.