VOGONS

First post, by AngieAndretti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm considering picking up a Canopus Spectra WF17 as shown here: https://collection.batyra.pl/graphics/nvidia/wf17 for my Pentium III Retro PC.

My motherboard is an Asus P2B-D w/ the famous Intel 440bx chipset and an early 3.3v AGP slot. I want to confirm that this particular card is compatible with the 3.3v AGP2x standard, but I'm finding it really difficult to find ANY info on this particular card online - probably because I understand this model wasn't really sold much, if at all, in the USA.

In my experience, most AGP cards of this era (2002) can still do AGP2x - I've verified that my GeForce4ti 4200 IS compatible but I also have an Abit Siluro GF4 MX-SE (GeForce4 MX 440) that just WILL NOT POST on either of my two Asus P2B-D boards yet it works just fine on a newer AMD Socket A mobo w/ an AGP 8x slot.

I really want to purchase one of these cards but I don't want to waste my money on something that isn't likely to be compatible. Can anyone help?

Reply 1 of 1, by Cbb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

All GF4 series and GF5 series cards work flawlessly on 440BX. GF6 are more problematic - intended to work, but slot connector may be uncut for AGP 2x.
I've killed 3 GF6800 cards trying to make that cut. Bad luck.

PS About that Canopus card.
Not bad choice, but keep in mind that little noisy cooler, you'd like to replace it with something quiet.