VOGONS

First post, by theloststory

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Re: Iomega ZIP drives

I have an old Iomega Zip USB Drive and cartridges. It is all well kept, except I don't have the drivers. Would love to have Mac drivers or even windows one will do. I downloaded the ones from Vogon Vintage Driver Library but nothing seems to happen after installation. They don't even show in Device Manager (I am not conversant much with Windows). The Zip Cartridges I have contain old portfolio files I would love to access. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-03-11, 07:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 8, by xtgold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

mac may be for old macs and not osx
I have cd's with iomegaware 2.8 but that is from the os8 era
scour the earth for omegaware
for the 250meg drive,mine has the click of death
the 100meg works but to puny for any storage uses.

Reply 3 of 8, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If your USB drive isn't detected as new hardware, there's a hardware problem. I'm not sure if you absolutely need drivers, or if recent (XP+) Windows versions would use the generic USB disk class drivers. Assuming the drive works... Either way, it should at least be detected by the OS, if not enabled for use.

I normally don't install Iomega drivers at all for any of mine, but I use the SCSI and ATAPI ones. SCSI drives work even in DOS without drivers. Well, you need your ASPI driver for the SCSI card, and ASPIDISK.SYS or equivalent... but nothing particular to the ZIP drive. ATAPI drives work in Windows natively -- at least as far as I've seen. I think, IIRC, I'm using SCSI in my DOS/Win 3.x, 95, and 98 machines, and ATAPI in Win ME, XP, and Linux.

Reply 5 of 8, by Xeen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unfortunately, it seems Win10 has issues to support Zip drive "natively" , see Iomega Zip Drive not working with Windows 10 - a possible solution

Quote from the webpage.

This is what worked for me:- […]
Show full quote

This is what worked for me:-

Open 'Device Manager' (Cortana search).

Expand 'Disk drives' (click the > symbol).

Open properties for the Iomega device (double click).

Click the 'Policies' tab.

Under 'Removal policy' check 'Better performance'.

Under 'Write-caching policy' check 'Enable write caching'.

Under 'Write-caching policy' check 'Turn off Windows write-cache buffer'.

Click the 'OK' button.

Reply 7 of 8, by Jinxter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, i have connected my Iomega ZIP 100 USB to my Windows 10 PC. Windows detects the ZIp drive, and it works - but very slow.
80 MB takes about one hour to copy to the ZIP Drive. I look likes the Zip drives copies fast for a few seconds, then stop and wait for a 20/20 second, and then copies for 2/3 seconds.

Reading from the ZIP is a lot faster - about 300 to 500kB/Sec depending on file size.

Do you get the same behaviour? Is there something i can do to speed things up.

Check out my YouTube channel: Retro Erik https://www.youtube.com/c/RetroErik
My collection: https://retro.hageseter.com

Reply 8 of 8, by Jinxter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I did some more testing on my Iomega ZIP 100 USB on Windows 10. And the conclusion is that Windows is slow to copy files, but even worse, some files and dirs are corrupted.
Using DOSBOX is far better. 7 minutes to copy 84MB.

Speedtest Iomega ZIP USB from Windows 10
Size: 84MB
No files: 4237

From Windows file manager
Total time: 65 Min
Some of the directory and files is bad.

From Windows CMD:
Start: 11:15
Finished: 11:16
Time to dir: 11:31
Total time. Less than 1 min. But dir took 15 minutes. - I guess the files was not written - but cached.
Total time 16 minutes
Some of the directory and files is bad.

From DOXBOX with xcopy from freedos
start: 11:06
finished: 11:13
Total time: 7 minutes.
All files and dirs are working.

Check out my YouTube channel: Retro Erik https://www.youtube.com/c/RetroErik
My collection: https://retro.hageseter.com