Compaq Prosignia 3080 / 486DX33

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 57, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
OSkar000 wrote on 2020-03-22, 13:50:
OS = Dos 6.22 and WFW 3.11 The installation program I'm reffering to is the setup for the soundcard on the CD I got with it so i […]
Show full quote

OS = Dos 6.22 and WFW 3.11
The installation program I'm reffering to is the setup for the soundcard on the CD I got with it so it should be the original drivers from 1995.

Disabling the IDE-port on the card is on the list of things that I should do but I have to figure out how to do it first. As you say, at the moment its not a problem.

But at the moment it seems like the problem is solved, maybe not the most correct solution but it seems to work fine.

Windows 95A should run quite good on this computer, lots of memory and a "fast" hard drive makes big difference. I ran W95 on a 386DX/33 and 20mb ram for about two years before I got my first Penitum in 1998.

Another thing on the todo-list is to straighten out some pins on a 486 DX/2 66 Overdrive that I found in a box here. I will test it on another motherboard before I put it in the Prosignia since I'm not sure if its ok or not.

Next problem on the list... Drivers for the SCSI CD-ROM!

How did you use the driver CD for the soundcard, when you don't have mscdex loaded?
😁 😁 😁
I don't understand the comment about "but I have to figure out how to do it first" about disabling IDE on the soundcard. That's a 10 second job in the ECU, just set it to disabled.
You know how to enter ECU, don't you?

You are right, DX33 should be fine for early Windows 95, as you know I ran Windows 98SE on that machine, for that you need at least a 66MHz.

About drivers for the SCSI CD ROM.
I remember back in time when I installed Windows 98, I failed to find something, so I put an "external" Adaptec 2740 inside.
But I am sure, there is a solution for the onboard NCR based SCSI, too.

Reply 41 of 57, by OSkar000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-03-22, 14:27:
How did you use the driver CD for the soundcard, when you don't have mscdex loaded? :D :D :D I don't understand the comment abou […]
Show full quote
OSkar000 wrote on 2020-03-22, 13:50:
OS = Dos 6.22 and WFW 3.11 The installation program I'm reffering to is the setup for the soundcard on the CD I got with it so i […]
Show full quote

OS = Dos 6.22 and WFW 3.11
The installation program I'm reffering to is the setup for the soundcard on the CD I got with it so it should be the original drivers from 1995.

Disabling the IDE-port on the card is on the list of things that I should do but I have to figure out how to do it first. As you say, at the moment its not a problem.

But at the moment it seems like the problem is solved, maybe not the most correct solution but it seems to work fine.

Windows 95A should run quite good on this computer, lots of memory and a "fast" hard drive makes big difference. I ran W95 on a 386DX/33 and 20mb ram for about two years before I got my first Penitum in 1998.

Another thing on the todo-list is to straighten out some pins on a 486 DX/2 66 Overdrive that I found in a box here. I will test it on another motherboard before I put it in the Prosignia since I'm not sure if its ok or not.

Next problem on the list... Drivers for the SCSI CD-ROM!

How did you use the driver CD for the soundcard, when you don't have mscdex loaded?
😁 😁 😁
I don't understand the comment about "but I have to figure out how to do it first" about disabling IDE on the soundcard. That's a 10 second job in the ECU, just set it to disabled.
You know how to enter ECU, don't you?

You are right, DX33 should be fine for early Windows 95, as you know I ran Windows 98SE on that machine, for that you need at least a 66MHz.

About drivers for the SCSI CD ROM.
I remember back in time when I installed Windows 98, I failed to find something, so I put an "external" Adaptec 2740 inside.
But I am sure, there is a solution for the onboard NCR based SCSI, too.

I copied the CD over the network 😉

Found the settings for the IDE-controller on the Sound Blaster... It was to obvious to be seen the first time I looked there.

Reply 43 of 57, by OSkar000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-03-22, 19:42:
OSkar000 wrote on 2020-03-22, 15:25:

I copied the CD over the network 😉

That's cheating.

A computer without network connection is not worth working on 😀

It was painful enough to install wfw311 from disks... but it was fun to see that they still were ok after more than 25 years and many uses.

Reply 44 of 57, by OSkar000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Its time to see what has been done from the list I made in the first post.

Get to know the hardware better
I'm not sure if I know it any better now but I have found some fun stuff and some of its personality.

The memory modules that was installed when I got it seems to be for a HP Printer... but it works!
It has 256k of L2-cache
The case has a lot of sharp edges!
I still need to connect the drive-activity LEDs

Find the softpacs needed to get to be able to change access the bios settings
Found it, installed it and I'm really impressed how well some things work.. and how bad other things work. This is my first EISA-computer and it has a lot of features that I have never seen on a 486 system before.
SP19619 contains the Configuration Software and is used to create a system partition on one of the hard drives.

Install a SCSI CD-rom.. not that I'm going to use it but to cover up the opening in the front since its missing all the blanking plates.
Installed but no drivers... And I'm not sure if I'm ever going to use it. But it takes up an empty space and looks original.

Soundcard, most likely a Soundblaster 32 AWE
Installed, re-installed, removed, re-installed... and thanks to you guys its now working fine!
Unisound did the trick. Great little program!
UNISOUND - Universal ISA PnP Sound Card Driver for DOS v0.81b

A better graphics card? I suspect that its some kind of Western Digital vga-chip on the motherboard.
Found a ISA-card with Cirrus Logic 5429 and 1mb of video ram. Not the fastest but a nice upgrade from the original.

It seems to support Pentium OverDrive CPUs...
This is still on the list... But I had a 486DX/2-66 Overdrive!

Image00007.jpg
Filename
Image00007.jpg
File size
1.49 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
Image00005.jpg
Filename
Image00005.jpg
File size
1.48 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I didn't do any benchmarks before I changed the CPU but it appears to be faster now.

Install Dos 6.22 and Windows 3.11. Maybe an early version of WinNT (3.51 or 3.1)
Probably one of my messiest installs ever but it works... Mostly!

Windows NT will have to wait for a while or get installed on another 486. I have 3 motherboards that more or less is complete... and a few Pentiums.

Admire it's beauty and play some old games until I get bored and start working on another computer...
Done! Most games seems to work fine. No random crashes or other things that I can think of.

Image00006.jpg
Filename
Image00006.jpg
File size
1.17 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Next things to do?
A proper Windows installation, probably on the 1gb harddrive since its faster then the 340mb.
Install some more or less useful programs from the Windows 3.11-period. MS Works or Office, PaintShopPro, Johnny Castaway, AutoCad LT
CD-rom drivers so I can use it.. or at least test it.
Find a 5,25" Compaq floppy drive and install it. Not very useful but it would look fantastic!
New graphics card? DOS-game compatibility is more important then high resolutions in Windows. This will mainly be a DOS computer but its always nice to have windows available when its needed.
Connect the HDD-leds!
Make some space on the desk so I can start new projects and actually use this computer...
Build another computer 😀

A really big thanks to everyone here that has helped me!

Reply 45 of 57, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi
I have some remarks and suggestions:
1) Yes, Pentium Overdrive 83 works, I ran mine with it. But your DX2/66 is already fine, so low priority. And yes, the machine has 256kb cache. What seems to be special is the fact, that the cache is 2 way associative, and even better the full 128MB RAM that are possible are cachable by it. That is simply a great 486 computer.
2) Try to get another graphics card: It is forseen to run this machine with the EISA Compaq Qvision 1024/E, chances are still high to get it for a reasonable price.
3) Add an Adaptec (or other major brand) EISA SCSI controller. That will automatically solve your CD ROM driver problem. I personally am not even fully satisfied with the Adaptec 2742, I am looking for a Wide SCSI controller, as I have 2 very nice Wide SCSI 9GB harddisks in spare.

Reply 46 of 57, by OSkar000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

1. Nice to know and if I find one it will be perfect in this computer.
2. I will keep an eye open. The only one i found now was about 200 EUR and that is a bit to much...
3. I have an Adaptec AHA 1740 that I can try if I don't find another solution. CD-rom isn't top priority at the moment and I would be surprised if its totally impossible to get it working on the built in SCSI-card.

IMG_20200326_191852.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200326_191852.jpg
File size
1.05 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Up and running on a proper desk for the first time!
Tried some old games and had a good time 😀

Reply 47 of 57, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
OSkar000 wrote on 2020-03-27, 08:18:
1. Nice to know and if I find one it will be perfect in this computer. 2. I will keep an eye open. The only one i found now was […]
Show full quote

1. Nice to know and if I find one it will be perfect in this computer.
2. I will keep an eye open. The only one i found now was about 200 EUR and that is a bit to much...
3. I have an Adaptec AHA 1740 that I can try if I don't find another solution. CD-rom isn't top priority at the moment and I would be surprised if its totally impossible to get it working on the built in SCSI-card.

IMG_20200326_191852.jpg
Up and running on a proper desk for the first time!
Tried some old games and had a good time 😀

>Yes, 200€ is too much, I would buy it for 30, maximum 40€.
When I have time, I will play with the internal controller, too, because I only use at the moment one narrow 50-pin harddisk and a CD ROM with 50-pin connector. I gave up back in time (as I already wrote above).

Reply 48 of 57, by OSkar000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had some luck with this driver:
https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detai … MTX_UNITY_I7598

It detects the CD-rom, mscdex load like its supposed to do... and the drive seems to be broken. I will try another SCSI-cdrom that I have in another computer to see if it helps.

Reply 49 of 57, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
OSkar000 wrote on 2020-03-27, 09:43:

I had some luck with this driver:
https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detai … MTX_UNITY_I7598

It detects the CD-rom, mscdex load like its supposed to do... and the drive seems to be broken. I will try another SCSI-cdrom that I have in another computer to see if it helps.

Awesome, good finding.
I could not resist, removed the Adaptec and put the cable to the internal controller.
Windows 98 SE automatically worked, after using FWS2ASPI.SYS and FWS2CD.SYS in config sys and changing the name of the drive for MSCDEX to CPQCDROM, reading cds also works in the dos 7.1 (the dos of windows 98se) like a charm.

Also it looks now a bit better. Using the internal SCSI controller enabled automatically the harddisk LED, there seems to be only one connector with several wires from the mainboard to the case, that obviously connects the harddisk activity led, too.

EDIT: I don't know why I does not work for you, you mentioned, that you want to enable the harddisk led.

IMG_7388.JPG
Filename
IMG_7388.JPG
File size
431.35 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_7386.JPG
Filename
IMG_7386.JPG
File size
1.05 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

EDIT2:
Maybe I misunderstood, I am not sure what you meant with "Connect the HDD-leds!"

Reply 50 of 57, by OSkar000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have an extra hdd-led on the 5,25" front plate where I have one of the hard drives. I think I saw a connector on the disk (the 340mb one) for a hdd-led it should be quite easy to fix. I will have a look at it when I replace the cd-rom.

The hdd-led on the case works as it supposed to do.

After spending some time with this computer I really like it. It behaves exactly as a well built and upgraded 486 should do. A newer 486/DX4 120 is probably a lot faster but for me its more fun to play games on an old and expensive server/workstation than on a low-cost 486 built for those who thought that a Pentium was to expensive.

Reply 51 of 57, by karakarga

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
OSkar000 wrote on 2019-12-31, 11:28:
Not much happening here since I got another project that needs some more attention than this one. More on that later :) […]
Show full quote

Not much happening here since I got another project that needs some more attention than this one. More on that later 😀

I got image files for Dos 6.22 and I found the orignal windows 3.11 installation disks in a box here. Also with Dos 5 and Windows 3.0 and some other programs from that time. Hopefully the disks are still ok.

SP19619 was the one I installed earlier. Found it looking thru the content file on HP/Compaqs FTP to find out what the Softpacs contain. It took a while but it gave me some hints and tips.
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/allfiles.txt

Search for Prosignia and you will find some information that points you in the right direction. If the Softpac isn't available on the FTP there are some chanses to find them just by googling the sp-number. I found several on an old mirror of the Compaq FTP.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/allfiles.txt --> No longer works! Compaq fans try this backup link below....

https://ftp.zx.net.nz/pub/archive/ftp.compaq. … om/pub/softpaq/

Reply 52 of 57, by OSkar000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
karakarga wrote on 2023-03-13, 19:13:
OSkar000 wrote on 2019-12-31, 11:28:
Not much happening here since I got another project that needs some more attention than this one. More on that later :) […]
Show full quote

Not much happening here since I got another project that needs some more attention than this one. More on that later 😀

I got image files for Dos 6.22 and I found the orignal windows 3.11 installation disks in a box here. Also with Dos 5 and Windows 3.0 and some other programs from that time. Hopefully the disks are still ok.

SP19619 was the one I installed earlier. Found it looking thru the content file on HP/Compaqs FTP to find out what the Softpacs contain. It took a while but it gave me some hints and tips.
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/allfiles.txt

Search for Prosignia and you will find some information that points you in the right direction. If the Softpac isn't available on the FTP there are some chanses to find them just by googling the sp-number. I found several on an old mirror of the Compaq FTP.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/allfiles.txt --> No longer works! Compaq fans try this backup link below....

https://ftp.zx.net.nz/pub/archive/ftp.compaq. … om/pub/softpaq/

Thanks for the reminder that nothing lasts forever on the Internet. I think a friend of mine also has a backup of the entire Compaq FTP.

It is a while since i worked on this machine the last time, but I had it started a few months ago and it still works great.

I got some parts that I plan to put in it in the near future,

Compaq qvision 1024 VGA card, EISA
3Com Etherlink EISA

and a bunch of old scsi harddrives too.

Reply 53 of 57, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
OSkar000 wrote on 2023-03-17, 20:23:

It is a while since i worked on this machine the last time, but I had it started a few months ago and it still works great.

When I started my ProSignia 3080 a couple of years ago (after 12 years of storage), all tantalum caps on 12V rails (three on +12V, one on -12V) failed with fireworks and smoke emission. Is your "Wayne's World" board still on the original tantalums?

Reply 54 of 57, by OSkar000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mkarcher wrote on 2023-03-17, 23:20:

When I started my ProSignia 3080 a couple of years ago (after 12 years of storage), all tantalum caps on 12V rails (three on +12V, one on -12V) failed with fireworks and smoke emission. Is your "Wayne's World" board still on the original tantalums?

As far as I know it still has the original caps on the motherboard. But I would not be surprised if it would create a little smoke show the next time I start it.

Reply 55 of 57, by ATi_Loyalist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Fascinating! Thanks for sharing. I have an old Prosignia 300 that I hacked up to fit modern hardware. Sometimes I wish I had kept it original, I can relate to the feeling of regretting throwing out some things over the years!

P4/XP Rig: P4C800 | P4 3.4 | Radeon X850 Pro
A64/XP Rig : A8V | A64 X2 4400+ | X1950 Pro
Ancient Rig: Pentium 166 W | S3 Trio

Reply 56 of 57, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
OSkar000 wrote on 2023-03-18, 07:44:

As far as I know it still has the original caps on the motherboard. But I would not be surprised if it would create a little smoke show the next time I start it.

I also have everything original in my 3080.
But I should definitely turn it on more often to avoid the explosions 😀.

Reply 57 of 57, by OSkar000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CoffeeOne wrote on 2023-03-29, 22:24:
OSkar000 wrote on 2023-03-18, 07:44:

I also have everything original in my 3080.
But I should definitely turn it on more often to avoid the explosions 😀.

The harddrive doesnt like to start when its cold and has been sitting to long. So far it has started every time but it sounds a bit grumpy before it has warmed up.

I feel that I need to give it some attention soon but at the moment my desk is full of 386 projects... including a cyrix cx486drx2 33/66gp.