VOGONS

First post, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

hi,
as per the problems dbgl-user had with applying and compiling the patch at Re: how to - apply patch to dosbox linux? I took a quick look as well.

Applying the patch is not a problem besides the -p1 but that is something one needs to eventually figure out when applying patches.
But then it wouldn't find the mt32emu headers, as the patch didn't add them. So to compile I had to copy everything of munts mt32emu/src to DOSBox source root into the folder mt32emu. That at least fixed finding the headers but then it failed with

../../mt32emu/mt32emu.h:47:2: error: Incompatible setting MT32EMU_API_TYPE=3
#error Incompatible setting MT32EMU_API_TYPE=3
^
In file included from midi.cpp:102:
In file included from ./midi_mt32.cpp:9:
./midi_mt32.h:10:2: error: Incompatible mt32emu library version
#error Incompatible mt32emu library version

I figure this means that the patch is for an olderrevision of the Munt code. Could you maybe redo the the patch to include the right revision of the munt source or add a note to the readme of the patch folder to state for which revision/version of Munt it is meant for?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 1 of 3, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From my understanding, the patch requires the mt32emu library to be installed in the system, that is the headers should reside under /usr/local/include, and the library .so / .a itself should be in /usr/local/lib. Copying sources into the dosbox tree is not supposed to work because while building the mt32emu a config file is created, which is then used from headers. If built/installed with defaults, the library should be picked up and work (almost) oob. The same way it should be on macs, so Dominus, please see if it doesn't build for you actually.
(Generally, I agree, the patch should add functionality of finding the library via autotools, but I truly hate that stuff)

Reply 2 of 3, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

ah, so I misunderstood that patch? I thought it was to add munt directly to DOSBox without the need of the lib. Probably knew that before but forgot that part again... Maybe THIS could use a bit of elaboration in the Readme 😀

So the MT32EMU_API_TYPE error would then be resolved?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper