VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by MabusRaeen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone. Sorry to keep you all waiting this long for an update on D-Fend but never the less. Here it is.

D-Fend v3 - beta

I added the new stuff DOSBox 0.65 uses and removed the stuff it no longer uses. That's it, no new features. I don't have time for new features. Also considering it's beta expect a bit of weirdness.

Site = http://members.home.nl/mabus

On a side note. Hotmail descided to close my account but I got it running again. However, I lost every mail I got since... well a long time. So I didn't fix any bugs and what not. If you find a bug please send me a step by step description what what you did and what went wrong and I'll fix it when I have time. My goal here is to make D-Fend v3 bug free and totally compatible with DOSBox 0.65. So please, do not ask for new features.

Regards,

MabusRaeen

Author of D-Fend, a DOSBox frontend.

D-Fend homepage.
http://members.home.nl/mabus

Reply 2 of 18, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Question: are the old profiles compatible? I have over 500 games already setup in D-fend and I wouldn't want to loose them.....is it safe to assume they are?

I just checked.....I have to re-check each individual profile? 😳 Aw man, I just did that awhile back when I was changing 0.65 settings.

I think I'll save this for another time...or bug test it without my old profiles.

Reply 4 of 18, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

update the about page?

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 5 of 18, by MabusRaeen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@avetar_58

Here's what you do: Before starting a game open the profile editor and close it. This should write new values into the old profile and convert it. The new values will have the default value however it will be the default so if the game doesn't work you'll need to tweak the profile.

I know this is a hassle but especially with 500 profiles. I said on the page that I wouldn't write a conversion program but apparently it's more nessecary then I thought. I will look into it.

- MabusRaeen

D-Fend homepage.

Reply 6 of 18, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MabusRaeen wrote:

I know this is a hassle but especially with 500 profiles. I said on the page that I wouldn't write a conversion program but apparently it's more nessecary then I thought. I will look into it.

- MabusRaeen

Oh really, if its too much just work on making D-fend better. 😅 I don't want to waste your time just for me unless its a simple batch task.

I know how to do it, and it wouldn't be such pain for me if I hadn't already updated each profile individually for the 0.65 additions (original resolution for one).

Technically you'd be making this new version for everyone from here on, so I'd spend more time fixing bugs etc. 😁

Reply 7 of 18, by MabusRaeen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well avatar_58 the thing is there's bound to me more ppl with 100+ profiles. I once got a mail from someone who had 1500 profiles.... but I always imagined he was an exception to the rule. Personally I never had more then 20 profiles in my own D-Fend list.

As for fixing bugs... I'm not aware of any. Like I said, I lost my entire mailbox.

D-Fend homepage.

Reply 9 of 18, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MabusRaeen wrote:

Well avatar_58 the thing is there's bound to me more ppl with 100+ profiles. I once got a mail from someone who had 1500 profiles.... but I always imagined he was an exception to the rule. Personally I never had more then 20 profiles in my own D-Fend list.

As for fixing bugs... I'm not aware of any. Like I said, I lost my entire mailbox.

Well I'm wokring on buring all my games to DVDs all setup via d-fend and dosbox. That way I never have to worry about setups or tweaking again....so I have profiles coming out my ears 😅

Reply 10 of 18, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

in the "configure default options" area add an extra button that makes it replace all current d-fend profiles with the ones set in the "configure default options" area.

you could consider this a feture request.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 12 of 18, by MabusRaeen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

in the "configure default options" area add an extra button that makes it replace all current d-fend profiles with the ones set in the "configure default options" area.

Actually this should happen automatically when you first run the new D-Fend.

D-Fend homepage.

Reply 14 of 18, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi everybody,

Would anybody know a valid email adress (or icq/yahoo/whatever) to Mabus Raeen, alias Anthony, the D-Fend author? His mabusraeen@msn.com address seems to have been cancelled, and he doesn't appear to visit Vogons regularly to read his PMs, unfortunately...

Regards,
Ronald

Reply 17 of 18, by Eck

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Aw, give him a break for being happy about it.

I had noticed that doing what I was doing, that is overwriting first with D-Fend v3 then the v2 update, was resulting in D-Fend resetting any changes I made to my game config files every time I ran the program. I had been renaming that v2 to D-Fend.exe.

Hmm. Perhaps that version was only to be used to update all the configs to Dosbox 0.65 compatibility.

I always start with a blank slate (no configs) when I reinstall, so this time I just used the slightly older v3 to overwrite the newly installed D-Fend. Now I have no problem with the game configs losing settings when I run the games.

The instructions on the D-Fend site are a bit vague as to how to use those 2 updates. But I think we only need the v2 one on the news page if we have a lot of profile configs and need to update them all at once. And then, only run that thing once.

The D-Fend v3 on the download page seems to be the one to run normally.

The frequency of updates for something like D-Fend, which works fine, is irelevent. I appreciated the update for Dosbox 0.65 compatibility and find this to be a very well designed piece of software that is professional looking and works great.

I've been so used to using D-Fend that I was very happy to see that I didn't need to look elsewhere for the ease of use with the updated Dosbox.