VOGONS

First post, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just checked my system properties, and under the general tab it reads:

Microsoft Windows Me

4.10.2222 A

I installed Windows 98SE from a genuine, original disc. Why do I get this information instead?

Thanks!

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 2 of 10, by andrea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
C0deHunter wrote on 2020-04-04, 21:19:
I just checked my system properties, and under the general tab it reads: […]
Show full quote

Microsoft Windows Me

4.10.2222 A

I installed Windows 98SE from a genuine, original disc. Why do I get this information instead?

Thanks!

Did you install the NUSB patch?

Reply 3 of 10, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
andrea wrote on 2020-04-04, 21:38:
Show full quote

Microsoft Windows Me

4.10.2222 A

Thanks!

You are right! As I installed it in order to be able to recognize my USB flash sticks (Abit-BH7) under this OS.

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 4 of 10, by andrea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
C0deHunter wrote on 2020-04-04, 22:35:
andrea wrote on 2020-04-04, 21:38:
Show full quote

Microsoft Windows Me

4.10.2222 A

Thanks!

You are right! As I installed it in order to be able to recognize my USB flash sticks (Abit-BH7) under this OS.

Then it's a side effect of that. In the last releases they put in Windows ME's SYSDM.CPL so that USB sticks are truly plug and play without having to do the usual "found new hardware > next > next > next > ok" you would otherwise have to do with 98's SYSDM.
I seem to recall reading that there were multiple tries to edit the file so that a) it would say Windows 98 and b) to remove options that only apply to ME (such as the tickbox to disable system restore), but no resource editor could edit the file without mangling it.

At the end of the day it's just a visual niggle, it doesn't impair operation (but I do agree it's annoying, such as those patches that end up replacing icons with later ones).

Reply 5 of 10, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you for clarifying this!

Reply 7 of 10, by netham45

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know this is a bit of a necropost but this is the thread Google found when I was looking into it. I had installed 'nusb36e.exe' for USB drive support. I edited sysdm.cpl to change 'Me' to '98' and removed the 'Disable System Restore' option. I just did it by editing the file in Notepad++, I only changed 3 bytes in it ('Me'->'98' at char 252,482 and 'P'-> 0x00, which I believe marks the option as hidden, at char 256,050.) I didn't even have to fix the PE checksums for Windows to take it.

Attachments

• Filename
    Sysdm.zip
    File size
    156.99 KiB
    Downloads
    281 downloads
    File comment
    Sysdm from nusb36e.exe patched to read Windows 98/remove 'Disable System Restore' option
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 9 of 10, by texterted

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
netham45 wrote on 2021-03-28, 04:18:

I know this is a bit of a necropost but this is the thread Google found when I was looking into it. I had installed 'nusb36e.exe' for USB drive support. I edited sysdm.cpl to change 'Me' to '98' and removed the 'Disable System Restore' option. I just did it by editing the file in Notepad++, I only changed 3 bytes in it ('Me'->'98' at char 252,482 and 'P'-> 0x00, which I believe marks the option as hidden, at char 256,050.) I didn't even have to fix the PE checksums for Windows to take it.

That seems to work ok, thanks!

Cheers

Ted

98se/W2K :- Asus A8v Dlx. A-64 3500+, 512 mb ddr, Radeon 9800 Pro, SB Live.
XP Pro:- Asus P5 Q SE Plus, C2D E8400, 4 Gig DDR2, Radeon HD4870, SB Audigy 2ZS.

Reply 10 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
netham45 wrote on 2021-03-28, 04:18:

May I ask how you managed to edit it using Notepad++?
I've tried in a long gone past but I ended up using XVI32 instead (though I'd still prefer Notepad++ for this).

My apologies if this seems like a dumb or straightforward question, I haven't tried this in a long time now so dunno if something significant has changed more recently regarding this.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!