VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 25, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

But this is something, what's strange to me. Since I tried that Portal and HL2 yesterday. And I don't see, how it can work for me, but not for you.

I really just took my fully updated HL2 build from Steam folder on my main PC, copy it to XP machine and then loaded with shortcut and correct switch. And off it goes. Did you tried it that way?

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9500@9700, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - ASRock K7S41GX, AMD Athlon XP 3000+, 512MB RAM, GeForce4 Ti4200, SB Live, Win 98

Reply 21 of 25, by bionicle_159

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Srandista wrote on 2020-04-09, 06:07:

But this is something, what's strange to me. Since I tried that Portal and HL2 yesterday. And I don't see, how it can work for me, but not for you.

I really just took my fully updated HL2 build from Steam folder on my main PC, copy it to XP machine and then loaded with shortcut and correct switch. And off it goes. Did you tried it that way?

My install of XP is weird, the main partition is labelled E: because when installing I didn’t know it would recognise a Zip drive as a useable storage space. This causes a lot of issues with some games, but I’m not entirely sure if this applies with Half Life 2. In this scenario I downloaded it straight from windows 7 to the XP drive since they’re both in the same PC, I’m pretty sure there is no difference in files between them. I’ve owned HL2 since 2018, and unless Valve put some weirdness in the files in the last couple of years that linked it to Steam and its install, I’m not sure what could be different. The only way I’ve gotten it to work is with the modified HL2 root folder files and it’s redirected steam folder in its ‘bin’ directory, but since the expansions didn’t work with the modified HL2 bin, I swapped it out for bin from steam copy’s instead, but at the same time retaining the redirected steam folder in its directory.

Work Rig - Ryzen 2700X, 16GB 3200Mhz, MSI B450 LN91340, HD 7970 Ghz (I know...), SB 1500
XP Rig - C2Q Q6600, 4GB 800Mhz, GA-P31-DS3L , GTX 750Ti, SB 0820
98SE Rig - AthlonXP 1700, 512MB 166Mhz, NForce A7N8X-X, V3 2000 PCI, Aureal Vortex 2 SQ2500

Reply 22 of 25, by Matt087

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know what you mean , we all know Half life 2 vanilla works just fine on xp , Its the Lost Coast episode that does not contain a standalone executable when you move it to another computer , I too would like to get Lost Cost working on windows xp

Reply 23 of 25, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The last build I have backed up is steampipe build v5377866 which includes HL2+EP1+EP2+Source+Lost Coast and was tested on XP 32bit on 9-27-2020

Use hl2.exe -game lostcoast to launch.

DOSBox Compilation Guides
DosBox Feature Request Thread
PC Game Compatibility List
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Running DRM games offline

Reply 24 of 25, by Matt087

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i have halflife 2 -lost coast and episode 1 running on XP via batch file sets , pc gaming wiki list the drm free half life games and expansions all you do is set a batch file for the game files you have in the base half life 2 folder like for lost coast you set a text document hl2.exe - game lostcoast and save it as lostcoast.bat