Reply 33400 of 52813, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brassicGamer wrote on 2020-04-14, 15:00:
DPT PM2122 EISA SCSI controller with CM4000 cache module. […]
Show full quote

DPT PM2122 EISA SCSI controller with CM4000 cache module.

IMG_20200414_155524.jpg

Plus, something I didn't know until just now, it has one of those freaking awesome strobing LED blocks! Can't wait to bench this against VLB and ISA caching controllers...

IMG_20200414_155652.jpg

Nice! Here is everything you need for that card >> ftp://ftp.dyu.edu.tw/pub/Hardware/stuff/scsi_card/DPT/SCIII/

I have an earlier model (PM2012B/90) and it's still crunching data to this day.

DPT PM2012B-90 EISA SCSI Controller.jpg
Filename
DPT PM2012B-90 EISA SCSI Controller.jpg
File size
679.9 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Edit: I also archived the original driver disk (SmartCache Utilities) for the PM2012B/90 over @ -0° >> http://minuszerodegrees.net/manuals.htm#DPT

Last edited by liqmat on 2020-04-14, 16:18. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 33401 of 52813, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Made a big-ish haul for the first time in ages today. Nothing truly spectacular, but a lot of nice stuff - piles of small IDE HDDs, some SCSI HDD and CDRoms (including low-profile) and some interesting motherboards, including an SE440BX with Yamaha sound. Pics on their way later this evening 😀

Reply 33402 of 52813, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote on 2020-04-14, 16:00:

including an SE440BX with Yamaha sound.

nice :3
so far I only had a Chaintech 440LX board with YMF740C and an Intel AL440LX with OPL3/OPL4
but I got a Dell with a broken case recently that is still on its way with an Intel 440BX board in it as far as I can tell that should have a YMF724F

edit: the Intel DELL OEM board seems to be pretty much the same board as the SE440BX but with 5x PCI and 1x ISA

Last edited by imi on 2020-04-14, 16:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 33403 of 52813, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Man Jealous of the cassette player! I almost bought a Phillips one like that but I didn't for some dumb reason and now I'm kicking myself cause it's hard to find those top loading 70's units. 🤣

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 33404 of 52813, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
imi wrote on 2020-04-14, 16:44:
nice :3 so far I only had a Chaintech 440LX board with YMF740C and an Intel AL440LX with OPL3/OPL4 but I got a Dell with a brok […]
Show full quote

nice :3
so far I only had a Chaintech 440LX board with YMF740C and an Intel AL440LX with OPL3/OPL4
but I got a Dell with a broken case recently that is still on its way with an Intel 440BX board in it as far as I can tell that should have a YMF724F

edit: the Intel DELL OEM board seems to be pretty much the same board as the SE440BX but with 5x PCI and 1x ISA

This one's a Dell board too. Not sure if it has regular ATX or weird Dell PSU pinout. Doesn't really matter though as I found the matching PSU in the lot too 😀

Remarkably, it's not the strangest pinout. A Compaq i810 board takes that prize - it has a 24p power connector from way before it became hip (and standardized). I don't like i810, but this is about as good as they come: 4MB video memory onboard, and 3 ISA slots thanks to an ITE bridge chip. Also have the PSU for this.

Reply 33405 of 52813, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Saw a PC come up on FB market that caught my eye. Unfortunately it was 1hour away so I wouldnt be able to get it during these times..
I also was looking on ebay and noticed the same PC and saw postage offered so hit the buy it now 😀

I attached some of the sellers pics.

The listing is for:

AMD K6-3 400mhz CPU
64mb RAM (2x 32mb simms!)
IDE1 6gb
IDE2 33gb
Labway ISA Soundcard with genuine Yamaha chip
S3 Virge DX PCI graphics
PCI USB hub
Netgear Ethernet NIC PCI
3Com Dialup ISA card

Nice beige desktop case with ATX form factor and another ISA soundcard for the collection.

Look forward to playing around with this one.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (18).jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600 (18).jpg
    File size
    163.07 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • s-l1600 (19).jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600 (19).jpg
    File size
    266.55 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • s-l1600 (20).jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600 (20).jpg
    File size
    179.51 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 33406 of 52813, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

very nice, my PC pickups are somehow never this clean x3

dionb wrote on 2020-04-14, 17:33:

This one's a Dell board too. Not sure if it has regular ATX or weird Dell PSU pinout. Doesn't really matter though as I found the matching PSU in the lot too 😀

oh yeah, it has the weird dell pinout probably with an extra aux plug, not sure if I trust the old Dell PSU though, depends on how broken the case arrives (side panel is plastic), maybe I'll keep it stock after all.

Reply 33407 of 52813, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Right, here's the pic:

15868929483220.jpg
Filename
15868929483220.jpg
File size
332.36 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

This is actually less than half the haul,but I'm taking the rest to be recycled - a mix of badly battered optical and floppy drives, two PSUs so light the "300W" on the side is pure fantasy and a pile of non-PC related cables. And a completely bent car radio 😉

So, what did I keep? The highlights:
- Dell/Intel SE440BX with Dell pinout, but nice YMF724F and SBLink if that's not enough. Oh, and a P2-450.
- matching 250W PSU. Pretty battered though so needs good inspection before testing.
- nice little Asus CU4VX-CM with universal AGP and onboard SB64PCI (no ISA or SBLink though).
- beautiful if underwhelming Diamond Stealth II G460, i.e. i740.
- two FSP 250W PSUs. Big, HEAVY beasts, my favourite period-correct PSUs if their caps are still good.
- a pile of 12 850MB-6.4GB IDE HDDs.
- a 1GB Fujitsu SCSI HDD.
- a low-profile Toshiba SCSI CDRom drive.

I'm particularly happy with the last two. I want to get an EISA system working and only have SCSI controllers. My only available SCSI drive smaller than 8GB was 20MB. Also, I've been struggling to get Solaris installed on my SparcStation 20. Sun OpenBoot is notoriously picky about booting from CD and I suspect my only other working SCSI player is the problem. This low profile drive has IBM part numbers on it, but I know I was able to boot my previous SS20 from exactly this model 15 years ago, so I am optimistic now.

Reply 33409 of 52813, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dionb wrote on 2020-04-14, 19:55:
So, what did I keep? The highlights: - Dell/Intel SE440BX with Dell pinout, but nice YMF724F and SBLink if that's not enough. Oh […]
Show full quote

So, what did I keep? The highlights:
- Dell/Intel SE440BX with Dell pinout, but nice YMF724F and SBLink if that's not enough. Oh, and a P2-450.
- matching 250W PSU. Pretty battered though so needs good inspection before testing.
- nice little Asus CU4VX-CM with universal AGP and onboard SB64PCI (no ISA or SBLink though).
- beautiful if underwhelming Diamond Stealth II G460, i.e. i740.
- two FSP 250W PSUs. Big, HEAVY beasts, my favourite period-correct PSUs if their caps are still good.
- a pile of 12 850MB-6.4GB IDE HDDs.
- a 1GB Fujitsu SCSI HDD.
- a low-profile Toshiba SCSI CDRom drive.

Holy Guacamole Batman ! Nice haul ! You can send me the HD's and motherboards, my birthday was two days ago 😁 Would be a fantastic B'day present ;D

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 33410 of 52813, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Someone keeps selling old PC parts in the UK and he's finally started selling some of his broken stuff. I put in an offer for this nice Soyo 025R2 motherboard - I've now got too many VLB 486 boards, but this one is from 95/96 and has a voltage regulator. It's also got the ideal port layout for the case I plan to use it in.

Here it is before repair:

soyo-025r2-beforecleanup.jpg
Filename
soyo-025r2-beforecleanup.jpg
File size
1.73 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

And after, fixed by desoldering the AT power connector & keyboard connector, repairing some of the traces, putting it all back. One of the 72pin memory slots doesn't want to work, but one working slot is fine. The BIOS battery is replaced with a coin cell by cutting the power trace to the diode that would normally charge the NIMH battery.

soyo-025r2-aftercleanup2.jpg
Filename
soyo-025r2-aftercleanup2.jpg
File size
1.13 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

All up and running - nice board! It supports LBA so it's happy to use drives up to 2gb

soyo-025r2-aftercleanup.jpg
Filename
soyo-025r2-aftercleanup.jpg
File size
1.44 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 33411 of 52813, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Exact same motherboard from Dell, but mine seems not to start up with PII fsb 66 CPUs but will start up with PIII 100 fsb cpus.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 33412 of 52813, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Thermalwrong wrote on 2020-04-14, 23:10:

Someone keeps selling old PC parts in the UK and he's finally started selling some of his broken stuff. I put in an offer for this nice Soyo 025R2 motherboard - I've now got too many VLB 486 boards, but this one is from 95/96 and has a voltage regulator. It's also got the ideal port layout for the case I plan to use it in.

All up and running - nice board! It supports LBA so it's happy to use drives up to 2gb

Tremendous motherboard repair. I have a board that had more damage than I thought and no parts available, plus, some of the other items were completely done for and all 4 SIMM-72 slots were damaged.

I ended up buying a board that I remember that was in the family computer from 1994-2012 until the BIOS chip gave up the ghost and replaced the 1 small flaw: the CPU lever arm by taking the lever off of the broken board and placed it onto the M912 V1.7 board with success. I need to upgrade the CPU to a higher speed (might get a DX4-120 since that was in the board I had a long time ago, but sold the CPU long ago and the old video card I had that was a Western Digital Bahamas Paradise 64 with an S3 Vision 864 or S3 Trio64, which was a great Windows and DOS GPU, stopped working as well).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 33413 of 52813, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thermalwrong, You have a PM I sent awhile ago regarding making more W1D belts. I have two compaq notebooks needs these.

Secondly,
The board you fixed, what is this VLB video card, this one with large number of memory chips?

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 33415 of 52813, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentiumspeed wrote on 2020-04-15, 00:05:
Thermalwrong, You have a PM I sent awhile ago regarding making more W1D belts. I have two compaq notebooks needs these. […]
Show full quote

Thermalwrong, You have a PM I sent awhile ago regarding making more W1D belts. I have two compaq notebooks needs these.

Secondly,
The board you fixed, what is this VLB video card, this one with large number of memory chips?

Cheers,

What kind of Compaq notebooks? I might need one belt too!

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 33416 of 52813, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bondi wrote on 2020-04-14, 08:56:

Bought this Hitachi docking station for Visionbook Pro series laptops. Label says for 7000/8000 series, but it works fine with my 6000 series laptop. The key features why it's of any value for me is the game port and the line-in connector.
Here are the pics.
Hitachidock.jpg

Gravis gamepad for scale?

I love these pads!

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 33417 of 52813, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Daniël Oosterhuis wrote on 2020-04-11, 12:45:
Bought and received this board a few days ago, forgot to post about it. It's an Austin Computer Systems 33VL 386DX board, that I […]
Show full quote

Bought and received this board a few days ago, forgot to post about it. It's an Austin Computer Systems 33VL 386DX board, that I got for €25. Very good price, but it does have some work cut out for me. It's clearly been stored in a box full of other things or something like that, given it's fairly dinged up. Some of the SIMM slots have bent pins, but seemingly not bad enough to short or not make contact at all. One SIMM slot is really shot, and probably needs replacing. One ISA slot's a bit bent, and another few have pins that are slightly pushed back, but that probably can be massaged back into place. The board has a chipped off corner, and some top layer chipping next to the ISA slots, but both of these spots don't have traces or components on them, so it's not too bad. I might get some UV soldermask to cover it up, to prevent further chipping.

The Dallas RTC (very Texan thing going on here) has already been desoldered and I already have an idea how to mount the CR2032 to it, which I'll post later. The chipset QFP pins are all fine, and despite some scuffing and scratching, no traces appear to be damaged. Could be much, much worse, this board has had some luck getting damaged where it doesn't matter too much, or can be relatively easily fixed. Online resources say this board will work with 33MHz and 40MHz 386DX chips, so an Am386DX40 is on my way from China. Just need to find a good VGA card, sound card, NIC, a good amount of memory, and maybe a 387 to go with it, to build a nice 386 rig.

There were two nice AT systems with good early 90s cases for such a build at my internship, but sadly I won't be going there for a while due to the COVID-19 situation. Hopefully those will still be there, and I'll be allowed to take those away, as they're in the storage room with a pile of other systems that were taken from clients when the company upgraded their systems. One is still its original color, the other one's been painted black. I did do a quick test of the black one, and that had a Pentium Socket 7 system of some kind. I do hope my boss won't do a clean up of those while I'm gone!

z5dwbyF.jpg?1Q9OlaPf.jpg?1iUnx507.jpg?1mvDVMpM.jpg?1

Happy to see that board went to a fellow Vogon-er. I also considered a bid but decided I have enough projects for now 😀

I hope you can fix the memory slot(s). Maybe a transplant from bank 1? The seller told me the ISA slot accepts cards (they still fit in the slot), but it does look bent a lot.

Succes!

1982 to 2001

Reply 33418 of 52813, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cyrix200+ wrote on 2020-04-15, 07:10:
[...] […]
Show full quote

[...]

Happy to see that board went to a fellow Vogon-er. I also considered a bid but decided I have enough projects for now 😀

I hope you can fix the memory slot(s). Maybe a transplant from bank 1? The seller told me the ISA slot accepts cards (they still fit in the slot), but it does look bent a lot.

Succes!

Speaking of things which should go to a fellow Vogon - there's a dead ITB 386 on MP at the moment. Bad pics of course, but at the very least it has a leaking battery. Apart from that it's a nice AT case, unremarkable 16b ISA multi-IO and what looks like a Trident ISA card. But one thing that is clear in the pic: a shiny MR-BIOS sticker.

I'm out of spare cash and time for at least the next week, but that thing needs picking up by someone who can rescue that BIOS. And it would just be a 20min drive for you 😉

Reply 33419 of 52813, by Daniël Oosterhuis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cyrix200+ wrote on 2020-04-15, 07:10:

Succes!

Yeah, I was thinking about pulling the good pins from the damaged slot for the bent ones on the otherwise intact ones. I did just remember I have a dead Macintosh Classic II board somewhere, likely still with a pair of 30 pin SIMM connectors on it... That will be good to replace the damaged slot with, if I can find it 😀

The ISA slot does indeed still accept a card, with a little bit of force, and the pins do seem to make contact. I did already bend it slightly back into shape, so it'll be fine. I'm just waiting for the CPU to come in so I can at least verify it POSTs, then I'll see about a VGA card, XT-IDE (just for the ROM), a good I/O card, cache, RAM, case, etc. Will hopefully make a nice 386DX40 system in the not too distant future 😀

sUd4xjs.gif