VOGONS

First post, by DojoDan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My problem is, when I choose to restart in dos mode from the 98se start menu, it does continue to do so but hangs when calling c:\sb16\diagnose /s

My exittodos.pif is standard, I'm not specifying and thing there and the dosstart.bat has the offending diagnose and mixerset commands in there.

If I boot directly to dos from the boot menu, everything works fine. The reason I want to restart to dos was to compare it to using MTRRLFBE write combining after booting into dos as I read Windows display drivers can set this and make a difference when shutting down to dos?

My hardware setup is:

Windows 98se
512 ram
Abit kt7a
3D Prophet 4500 64mb AGP
MX300 PCI Vortex 2 sound card
SB16 Ct2230 ISA

Software config:

Not loading MX300 dos drivers, only used in Windows.
SB16 fully setup using 5,1,5 T6 in dos and Windows with the card drivers installed on Windows so I can use it in Windows.
MX300 SB emulation disabled under device manager.
SB16 mpu-401 jumper disabled as I run my Sc55 from the MX300 port.

My autoexec and config.sys are very basic. CD ROM drivers, set blaster and mouse. I can post these if needed.

Since I'm not familiar with how anything Windows related can effect the config of shutting down to dos, I'm not sure why diagnose /s will hang. If I remove that from dosstart.bat I get to dos fine, but then typing in diagnose hangs immediately. Is it possible there's hardware conflict somewhere via getting to dos this way? My SB16 works fine in Windows which is the odd thing!

Many thanks.

Last edited by DojoDan on 2020-04-20, 11:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 6, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This forum is for DOS games on *modern* systems. You should ask old hardware and driver/configuration questions in Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Trying to understand your setup. I'm not sure where dosstart.bat comes into it?

Normally if you have a "exittodos.pif" this points to command.com and I the advanced properties you enter the autoexec.bat and config.sys settings.
no need for external batch files

Reply 5 of 6, by DojoDan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I thought if you had the advanced properties set to "use current config" it would use the current autoexec and config.sys but would also run dosstart.bat? If, like you say, you choose to specify the autoexec and config.sys in the advanced properties it would use that and NOT then run dosstart.bat. That was my understanding? I've re-enable the MX300 SB Emulation because I couldn't use the mpu-401 otherwise but I don't have any conflicts that I can see. I'll double check.

I just don't understand what actually happens when restarting in dos from Windows and how it's any different from booting "to" dos.

If I leave the exittodos.pif advanced settings to "use current MS-DOS config", then it should go straight to DOS, yet, if I specify autoexec and config.sys in the advanced properties it'll restart my whole machine from scratch, which is what I don't want. I've read that restarting in dos from Windows (without fully rebooting the machine) can give better game performance because the Windows drivers "might" be setting write combining which may then remain set when going to dos. Does that make sense? I know I can add MTRRLFBE to my autoexec and be done with it but it's annoying having an issue for a reason I don't understand. I don't understand the reasons why running diagnose would hang straight away after shutting down /restarting to DOS but works perfectly fine booting up into dos.

I have IRQ 5, DMA 1 and 5 reserved for legacy ISA in the Bios, which my SB16 is using and my MX300 uses IRQ 7 and DMA 3 for SB Pro emulation.

Just frustrating 😤

EDIT: I'll post up my current autoexec and config.sys and assigned Windows resources later, I'm just supposed to be working from home atm 🍵 🍵

Reply 6 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah ok rekon that's your problem and you kind of knew it all along 😀

"I've read that restarting in dos from Windows (without fully rebooting the machine) can give better game performance because the Windows drivers "might" be setting write combining which may then remain set when going to dos"
This is true and 100% correct, but it those same windows drivers "might" conflict with pure dos drivers someone is trying to load!

Doing a clean boot into dos flushes out everything from memory and basically a dos based system again rather then a complicated mess of mixed WIn9x and native dos drivers confusing each other.

and what? vogons isn't what were supposed to be doing when WFH 😉