Reply 41 of 109, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote on 2020-04-19, 23:55:
vetz wrote on 2020-04-19, 23:08:

My dream remaster is Blade Runner from 1997 by Westwood Studios

You've heard that's running in ScummVM now, right?

Yes, but it still the same old version.

leileilol wrote on 2020-04-20, 00:16:
vetz wrote on 2020-04-19, 23:08:

My dream remaster is Blade Runner from 1997 by Westwood Studios

oh have i got some news

I have somehow missed this, thanks! Nightdive is one of the best on remasters so this should be sweet.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 43 of 109, by will1384

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I always liked SimCity 2000, and I have yet to find a modern game of that type that I like has much has SimCity 2000.

I liked a lot of the "cheesy" or non- serious racing type games like Moto Racer, Monster Truck Madness, Fatal Racing/Whiplash, Hi-Octane, and MegaRace.

I loved Interstate '76, and I would love to see a "good" remake.

I like Unreal, and Unreal Tournament 1999 a lot, but I just don't like newer versions of Unreal Tournament has much has I like Unreal Tournament 1999, and I have no idea how they could "improve" Unreal Tournament 1999 without just making another "generic" FPS.

I like Quake 1 and Quake 2 a lot, but I kinda dislike the newer versions, maybe they could just make a Quake 1 and Quake 2 extended and updated versions and focus on the "story", but I tend to like the Single-player part of the game more than multi-player.

Reply 44 of 109, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
will1384 wrote on 2020-05-18, 20:50:

I always liked SimCity 2000, and I have yet to find a modern game of that type that I like has much has SimCity 2000.

Not even cities skylines? I like sc2k a lot but Cities Skylinew is miles, lightyears ahead in terms of what you can create and the management of your city. I guess it helps I am a Transport Planner so I'm interested in roads, traffic flows and cycles routes...

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 45 of 109, by will1384

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Almoststew1990 wrote on 2020-05-19, 14:51:
will1384 wrote on 2020-05-18, 20:50:

Not even cities skylines? I like sc2k a lot but Cities Skylinew is miles, lightyears ahead in terms of what you can create and the management of your city. I guess it helps I am a Transport Planner so I'm interested in roads, traffic flows and cycles routes...

I think the reason I like SimCity 2000 is that it's so simple, to me it's kinda like playing with LEGO blocks, or playing a game of Solitaire, just simple and easy.

I do like the way Cities: Skylines looks, but I keep thinking it should be used to make cities for other games, or maybe something in VR were you make or download a city and go exploring in VR.

Reply 46 of 109, by Desomondo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Almost any 90s era game that didn't get its source code released 😀

Diablo I & II with a higher frame rate and some minor QoL tweaks like auto-pickup gold, a modern UI with a modern spell bar, etc.

The original Tomb Raider with modern WASD controls would be nice.

Also MDK while we're at it...

Win98: PII 400 | 440BX | Voodoo3 | Live + SB16
WinME: P4 HT 641 | 865G | Geforce4 Ti4400 | Audigy2ZS
WinXP: C2 Q9400 | G41 | Geforce GTX 280 | X-Fi
Win7: i7 2600K | P67 | Geforce GTX 980ti | X-Fi
Win10: R7 5800X | X570 | Radeon RX 6800 | X-Fi Titanium

Reply 47 of 109, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SimCity and SimTower definitely need a remaster for modern windows and macOS! I miss these games. While we're at it, I never played SimFarm?

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 48 of 109, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There must be some weird legal thing preventing EA from re-releasing all the classic Sim games. There's too much money to be made for them not to have done it already.

Bruninho wrote on 2020-05-19, 23:26:

While we're at it, I never played SimFarm?

It's pretty neat – ironically, it's kind of hectic. It might not be as good as the original SimCity, but I would rank it ahead of most of the others.

Reply 49 of 109, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote on 2020-05-19, 23:52:

There must be some weird legal thing preventing EA from re-releasing all the classic Sim games. There's too much money to be made for them not to have done it already.

Yeah, there must be. But when I think of EA I just think of the FIFA series, they need to think about other types of gamers not just the e-sports guys. They should start now to find a way to circumvent whatever legal thing is barring them from that. A classic remaster of SimTower for PC, macOS, Android or iOS would be amazing. I'd spend hours playing it on my phone if they did it.

Plot Twist: I actually do spend hours playing SimTower on my iPad Pro, running a virtualized Windows 3.11 For Workgroups. Oh damn.

Jorpho wrote on 2020-05-19, 23:52:

It's pretty neat – ironically, it's kind of hectic. It might not be as good as the original SimCity, but I would rank it ahead of most of the others.

My dad used to play a lot the classic version of SimCity. I tried, but was a bit difficult for me, so I preferred to play SimTower.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 50 of 109, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Bruninho wrote on 2020-05-20, 00:30:

Plot Twist: I actually do spend hours playing SimTower on my iPad Pro, running a virtualized Windows 3.11 For Workgroups. Oh damn.

You're aware that the most recent version is The Tower SP for the Game Boy Advance, right? Wikipedia also suggests Project Highrise.

Reply 51 of 109, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Desomondo wrote on 2020-05-19, 21:04:

On the other hand I think any old game rereleasing with new WASD defaults is bad., esepcially with games with reset-to-default buttons that changes them back to arrow defaults 😀

I know there's been some revisionism with wasd defaults with some "real" prototype releases etc. from certain people that I won't mention (causing their authenticity overall to be suspect)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 52 of 109, by Desomondo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2020-05-20, 00:42:
Desomondo wrote on 2020-05-19, 21:04:

On the other hand I think any old game rereleasing with new WASD defaults is bad., esepcially with games with reset-to-default buttons that changes them back to arrow defaults 😀

Oh I agree - any changes a "remaster" or re-release of any game would bring to the table would ideally be optional as well as well implemented, tested, etc. I just bring that example up specifically because, speaking only for myself, it is never the presentation itself that makes a game "age" for me but the controls and UI.

For example I love the original C&C as much as the next bloke but I really struggle to enjoy any entry in the series older than RA2. Same with Warcraft. Tomb Raider's keyboard only controls really stand out as archaic when Duke3D and Quake can be played perfectly fine with the mouse even in their original releases. Doom's wonky vertical mouse movement also comes to mind 😀

Win98: PII 400 | 440BX | Voodoo3 | Live + SB16
WinME: P4 HT 641 | 865G | Geforce4 Ti4400 | Audigy2ZS
WinXP: C2 Q9400 | G41 | Geforce GTX 280 | X-Fi
Win7: i7 2600K | P67 | Geforce GTX 980ti | X-Fi
Win10: R7 5800X | X570 | Radeon RX 6800 | X-Fi Titanium

Reply 53 of 109, by Carrera

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

More in order to have compatibility with newer machines than visuals but I think an update would be cool for:
Mechwarrior 1 & 2
Heavy Gear 1 &2
EarthSeige 1 & 2 StarSiege (the mecha game, NOT Tribes)
Interstate '76 (and I guess '82 even though it was an inferior game)

I know I know.. a lot of mecha there..

Reply 54 of 109, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No, remastered games are never good. thay never leave the game it self alone and change things for the worse. I get wanting better graphics and sound and what not, but it never ends up that way.

Reply 55 of 109, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote on 2020-05-20, 00:39:
Bruninho wrote on 2020-05-20, 00:30:

You're aware that the most recent version is The Tower SP for the Game Boy Advance, right? Wikipedia also suggests Project Highrise.

Yup, I tried Project Highrise, Yoot Tower, but they never came close to the fun I had with SimTower classic.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 56 of 109, by TorqueDaisy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

a remaster of Interstate 76 in the same vein as Battlezone 1998 Redux and a source code release of Descent 3 so all of its weird issues can be fixed would probably make me ascend to a different plane of reality

Reply 57 of 109, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do we have a forum section with a thread to post screenshots of our games? I think it is a nice idea - most forums about some games do that with some beautiful screenshots. I thought about suggesting that idea here too.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 58 of 109, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Come to think of it, The Simpsons Hit & Run still has a lot of fans. Apparently it was also cut back late in development when the developers discovered their dev unit was much faster than an actual PS2, so there's some real potential there. (To be clear, there's already a PC port.)

Captain Claw doesn't really need a remaster, but that's another one that is curiously missing from current online retailers.