VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Everybody has a game they've been looking for years. I have a few, but there is a certain one that's driving me nuts the last few days. I remember playing a demo of it back in 1996-1999 from an old demo/shareware disc.
It was a mouse driven game I think, most probably running on Windows and with either purely 2D graphics or some prerendered 3D as well.
There were these weird little creatures, kinda like aliens, and I remember a certain "level" that took place in Mount Rushmore replacing the four classic figures with four such creatures or something. The faces would drop and you had to somehow grab them or the would break when touching the floor (bottom of the screen). If that happened, you would lose the game and the creatures would frown and exclaim something like "oh..." or "no...".

That's all I can remember unfortunately, I used to piss off my older brother and fill up his HDD with useless crap like that, so after several warnings he grabbed the disc and destroyed it in front of me 🙁.

Reply 5 of 12, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When you first posted this question, I spent an hour scouring the internet looking for possibilities. Alas, I had no luck at all. I mostly turned up games that had Mount Rushmore without any alterations. x_x;

Are there any other details you can remember about this game? Even the slightest little extra tid-bit can go a long way to figuring this one out!

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 6 of 12, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

the 1996-99 Windows games are the hardest because the sites that usually hosted them dotbomb'd or got rid of them in favor for RealArcade trials, WildTangents and PopCaps, as soon as the year 2000 rolled over.

i'll try to look for it in that period

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 12, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah I'd better narrow it down a little, I think it was 1996-1997 and I'm definitely sure it was a Windows (possibly 95 only, not 3.1) game. Gemini, I may be wrong on the Mount Rushmore alterations (although it certainly seems that way in my memory!) so I'd be happy to see what you found 😜.
Damn, this thing has been driving me nuts. It's one of those games that you play when you're really really young ( I couldn't have been more than 4 years old when I played this!!!) and then you can't find anywhere! I remember my brother really flipping out for some reason and smashing the disc in front of the garbage bin. Yikes!

Thanks for the help you guys 😀

Reply 8 of 12, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It can't be Arcade America can it? "Snapping the disc" implies it's a retail one. I scoured Mobygames and couldn't find a match (then again they didn't have Mustang either, and seem to suffer the usual 96-99 'ware amnesia problem, so)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 10 of 12, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, I finally found it. It's "Flipout!", a puzzle game that was originally on the Atari Jaguar, but was eventually ported to Windows 95 (and DOS it seems?) with SVGA visuals.
Funny thing is, I found it completely at random. I was watching a video on youtube to pass the time while cooking, and I stumbled on one where an individual went through every single Jaguar game (there were only 50 games) and then he showed it... Needless to say, I lost my shit! Came back to post it, for posterity and just noticed just how eerily close my description was. It also looks incredibly similar to how I remember it!