VOGONS

First post, by Dunga105

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I've been pulling my hair out trying to install Windows 98 se on my retro system. I've been able to run the installation just fine, up to the point where its gone through the checklist, asked for a username then restarts. So far so good, the windows 98 logo appears for a few seconds, then I get a bleep and a blue screen fatal exception 0D has occurred at 0594:00000218.

So far I've tried the following steps

Breadboarded the machine with the minimum components

Tried numerous gpus, both AGP and PCI

tried three different hard drives that are known to work

Tried 3 different ram sticks

Successfully installed XP with no problems

Tried the original version on Windows 98

Im beginning to think I should just give up, but seeing as XP worked fine thought maybe there's something I've missed. I'm not experienced with Windows 98, or the hardware from this period and thought someone might suggest something obvious that I've not done!

My motherboard is a Supermicro SUPER P6SBA with 128 mb Ram and a pentium 3 450.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

Reply 1 of 8, by MAZter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

1) boot to safe mode, run msconfig and check this checkbox:

Screenshot-3.png

If this not help:

2) boot to safe mode, disable some not necessary drivers like audio driver, delete intstalled video driver

3) check config.sys if it contain lines like: emm386.exe and remove or REM it

4) temporary disable any COM/Parallel and other not necessary devices in the bios

Doom is what you want (c) MAZter

Reply 3 of 8, by Dunga105

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, I'll give this a go, although I've been unable to boot into safe mode as it needs to load drivers as it hasn't fully completed the installation. I'll disable any unnecessary devices in the bios, I hadn't thought of that.

MAZter wrote on 2020-04-25, 15:01:
1) boot to safe mode, run msconfig and check this checkbox: […]
Show full quote

1) boot to safe mode, run msconfig and check this checkbox:

Screenshot-3.png

If this not help:

2) boot to safe mode, disable some not necessary drivers like audio driver, delete intstalled video driver

3) check config.sys if it contain lines like: emm386.exe and remove or REM it

4) temporary disable any COM/Parallel and other not necessary devices in the bios

Reply 5 of 8, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dunga105 wrote on 2020-04-25, 16:29:

Thanks for your reply, It's a 16gb drive with only a C partition.

darry wrote on 2020-04-25, 15:09:

What size disk and partition are you installing Windows 98 SE to ?

Was worried about disk size, but not an issue here . What disk controller are you using ?

Also is your copy of Windows SE a clean original one or is it one of those pre-patched with who knows what ones floating around the Internet ?

Reply 6 of 8, by Dunga105

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, it's a clean original with no 'helpful' extras! As far as I know it's just using the standard IDE controller on the motherboard.

darry wrote on 2020-04-25, 16:37:
Dunga105 wrote on 2020-04-25, 16:29:

Thanks for your reply, It's a 16gb drive with only a C partition.

darry wrote on 2020-04-25, 15:09:

What size disk and partition are you installing Windows 98 SE to ?

Was worried about disk size, but not an issue here . What disk controller are you using ?

Also is your copy of Windows SE a clean original one or is it one of those pre-patched with who knows what ones floating around the Internet ?

Reply 8 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

P3, small amount for RAM and HDD, BX motherboard. Should be as easy as installing XP only with a lot more drivers that need installing once windows is up and running.

I'm going to blame install files especially as XP installs fine. Find another CD.
You can try Win95 as a test but wouldn't upgrade from it. That hardware should be able to install Win98 without any issues at all.