VOGONS

Mortal Kombat II problems

Topic actions

First post, by BliggyBlop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently bought Mortal Kombat 1+2+3 from GOG. I put 1 and 2 on my Win98SE computer. 1 works perfectly, but 2 doesn’t. The PC somehow isn’t able to allocate enough conventional memory to run it. It needs at least 512 kB of conventional memory, and at the most the PC is able to give it 490, which doesn’t display the graphics other than a few odd things (like the health bar, and the shadow of a character) after the part in the beginning where the Probe logo morphs into the MK logo. I even tried making a shortcut and giving it enough conventional memory, but I either get a message saying that I need to “unload drivers, or stop conventional memory-using apps”, or I get much less memory than I set. Is there anything I can do to get this to work? Thanks!

The bliggiest blop.

Reply 3 of 110, by BliggyBlop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here:

Attachments

The bliggiest blop.

Reply 5 of 110, by BliggyBlop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, sorry! This was my first topic post.

Anyway:
Autoexec.bat: (the first 3 lines under “c:\windows\cwcdata\cwcdos.exe“ are all 1 line)

REM [Header]
@ECHO OFF

REM [DVD-ROM Drive]
REM c:\windows\command\mscdex /d:gem001

REM [Miscellanious]

REM [Display]

REM [Sound, MIDI, or Video Capture Card]

REM [Mouse]

c:\windows\cwcdata\cwcdos.exe
TShoot: @SETCLASSPATH=C:\PROGRA~1\PHOTOD~1.1\ADOBEC~1
PATH %PATH% C:\SENSEMOU
SET LMOUSE=C:\SENSEMOU
C:\SENSEMOU\MOUSE DUAL

Config.sys:

REM [Header]

REM [DVD-ROM Drive]
Device=C:\cdrom\oakcdrom.sys /d:gem001

REM [Miscellaneous]

REM [SCSI Controllers]

REM [Display]

REM [Sound, Midi, or Video Capture Card]

REM [Mouse]
REM —————————

The bliggiest blop.

Reply 6 of 110, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Assuming himem.sys is where it is supposed to be on Windows 98 SE , add the following 2 lines to the beginning of config.sys :

DEVICE=C:\Windows\HIMEM.SYS DOS=HIGH,UMB

and reboot .

Reply 9 of 110, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You will probably have a much better experience if you run these games from DOSBox (which is always packaged with the GOG release) on your modern PC. Even if you run it from under Win98 SE and not in pure DOS, it will probably be better.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 18 of 110, by BliggyBlop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here:
When I click a shortcut I made for MK2 (with 600 kB conventional memory), I get the whole “Total Conventional Memory is too high”, but when I lower it to 560 (which I can handle) The Dos4GW memory checker that runs before MK2 says I have 482. And when I run the .exe by itself, it says 490.

The bliggiest blop.

Reply 19 of 110, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just remembered that I have that same gog combo pack, I juat never tried it . I will try it in Windows 98SE this evening and get back to you .

On another note maybe you could exit Windows to DOS mode and try it from there .