VOGONS

Reply 40 of 42, by ChrisR3tro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A thing that Wikipedia points out about the range of different Sound Canvases is that there are differences in sample rate. Most seem to have 32000 hz with some rare exceptions like the SCC-1. What do you guys think of that? Is there any truth to it?

I'm also considering to buy an SC-88 VL if I get a good deal somewhere.

for more Retro-related tidbits follow me on X under @ChrisR3tro.

Reply 41 of 42, by Bevil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yawetaG, thanks for you insight into this. I had no idea they actually did a re-compression of the original samples for the newer devices . That would further explain why the Microsoft licensed samples sound so low quality.

Reply 42 of 42, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Locutus wrote on 2020-04-26, 08:38:

A thing that Wikipedia points out about the range of different Sound Canvases is that there are differences in sample rate. Most seem to have 32000 hz with some rare exceptions like the SCC-1. What do you guys think of that? Is there any truth to it?

It's quite possible, as Roland did the same thing with their other PCM synthesizers (JV/JD/XV/Fantom etc.).

Bevil wrote on 2020-04-26, 08:58:

yawetaG, thanks for you insight into this. I had no idea they actually did a re-compression of the original samples for the newer devices . That would further explain why the Microsoft licensed samples sound so low quality.

If you look at certain ads, they allude to this. For example, many advertisements by Yamaha from the 1990s and early 2000s mention fairly large ROM sizes of 16, 24, etc. MB. These are not the actual ROM sizes you can find in the synths, which are in the single digit MB, but refer back to the uncompressed samples.