VOGONS

First post, by iconoclast12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I'm attempting to get both Future Shock and Skynet running but am having issues with both games crashing right after starting a new game or loading a save. I can hang out in the main menu as long a I like, however, with no issues.

I have the original discs for both games, and I'm installing the games from the discs. It does not matter which order I install them in (other than doing Skynet second, it offers to detect Future Shock during the installation).

One of the computers I attempted this on is an older Windows 7 Dell with a core i3, 6gb ram and a geforce 8600 gts card (yes the graphics drivers are up-to-date and yes I already thought of that).

The other computer I've attempted it on is an Alienware laptop with Windows 10, 8th gen i7, 16gb ram and a geforce 1060 6gb.

I'm running version 0.74 of Dosbox (at least that is what the damn icon says).

Game versions are both 1.00 on the discs but I have patched both Future Shock and Skynet to 1.30 and 1.01 respectively. (I have also tried getting the games to run patched AND un-patched with the same results!)

Games are installed to my C: drive in this folder C:\dosgames

I open dosbox and type the same thing I've typed for literally every other freaking dos game I've installed through dosbox (Every other WORKING dos game, mind you!)

mount c c:\dosgames
mount d d:\
d:
cd shock
install.exe

d:
cd skynet
install.exe

(I do this for both games. Both games install successfully)

After the games are installed. I copy the patch files (sky101.exe and tfs130.exe) to their respective folders in c:\dosgames\shock and c:\dosgames\skynet

I then run them from the dosbox prompt. Both games patch successfully.

For whatever reason, I CANNOT get Future Shock to run independently by itself. Every. Single. Time. I install the game. I run the following commands..

(physical disc in physical drive)
c:
cd shock
shock.exe

(Throws some error about the disc not being detected in the drive)

So, yeah, Future Shock whines and moans about the disc not being in the drive no matter what I do, so there's that problem.

However, if I startup Skynet, the game actually works and I can use the main menu to get to Future Shock from there, however here is where the real problem comes in..

Both Future Shock and Skynet run for mere seconds before dosbox crashes. Every. Single. Time.

"Dosbox ran into an unexpected problem and needs to close" EVERY. TIME.

I've attempted running the games without configuring any sound and also without running in 640x480 just to test it out to see if the resolution or audio is causing the problem, and funny enough, I can run both games for maybe 10-15 minutes in low-res without audio, until they crash. However, they still crash, it just takes longer..

What am I doing wrong here? I have over a dozen other games installed through dosbox, some of which are from the late 1980's that still work fine. These are literally the only two dos games I cannot get running in dosbox.

I see people with videos on youtube running computers similar to mine, without having to do any of the crap I've had to do to get these games working.

I should note that I can get Skynet running by itself if I use the unofficial 2017 patch on it, and it works with both audio and high-res but if I try to switch over to Future Shock after using this patch, I get kicked back to the dosbox prompt with some weird error message involving characters that I can only describe as wingdings.

And that's that..

Reply 1 of 9, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I suggest reading another thread starting from where I linked, but you can read from the start if you want the whole evolution of discovery, including a fix for the infamous door crash. 😉

Re: Terminator Skynet problem

Reply 2 of 9, by Marty2dos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Use DOS/4GW Version 2.01a. Unbind the exe from 1.97 and bind the exe with DOS/4GW Version 2.01a. It running smoothly in Dynamic Core , max cycles with full speed, in Highres too and i had no crahes more.

Reply 3 of 9, by iconoclast12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Marty2dos wrote on 2020-04-27, 20:12:

Use DOS/4GW Version 2.01a. Unbind the exe from 1.97 and bind the exe with DOS/4GW Version 2.01a. It running smoothly in Dynamic Core , max cycles with full speed, in Highres too and i had no crahes more.

Got a link or instructions on how I go about doing this? Not something I've done before, but I'm very computer savvy so I should be able to follow instructions.

Reply 4 of 9, by iconoclast12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote on 2020-04-27, 19:56:

I suggest reading another thread starting from where I linked, but you can read from the start if you want the whole evolution of discovery, including a fix for the infamous door crash. 😉

Re: Terminator Skynet problem

I read the whole post in your link, but I don't see what you're trying to point out in it?

From what I can tell, everything that's mentioned in that link, I've already done on my end.. Am I missing something?

Reply 5 of 9, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The point being made in the specific post I linked to in that thread is that the crashes are a nasty sort of CD-check. So if you aren't using a hacked copy of SkyNet that removes the check, you should mount the D drive with "mount d d:\ -t cdrom" rather than the "mount d d:\" you've been using. Without the "-t cdrom" switch the drive looks like an HDD with free space, which is why the CD-check fails and the game crashes itself.

Reply 6 of 9, by iconoclast12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote on 2020-04-28, 15:29:

The point being made in the specific post I linked to in that thread is that the crashes are a nasty sort of CD-check. So if you aren't using a hacked copy of SkyNet that removes the check, you should mount the D drive with "mount d d:\ -t cdrom" rather than the "mount d d:\" you've been using. Without the "-t cdrom" switch the drive looks like an HDD with free space, which is why the CD-check fails and the game crashes itself.

I believe I got it working! I just played both in 640x480 for maybe 20 minutes, with audio on, and no crashes.

I'm not sure which of the steps I did to fix it, but here's what I changed..

Re-installed dosbox to C:\Dosbox instead of C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Dosbox

Edited the dosbox.conf file and included in the autoexec section at the bottom..

mount d d:\ -t cdrom

Also, for some odd reason, the install path and source path in INSTALL.DAT for both Skynet and Future Shock was C:\Shock and C:\Skynet

I changed the source path to D:\ for both games..

Reply 7 of 9, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Well, the installer should have set the source path to D:\ if the game was installed from there. Anyway, the source drive being mounted with the "-t cdrom" switch is what stopped the crashes. You want to be sure? Just try removing that switch. 😉

Reply 8 of 9, by iconoclast12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote on 2020-04-29, 17:07:

Well, the installer should have set the source path to D:\ if the game was installed from there. Anyway, the source drive being mounted with the "-t cdrom" switch is what stopped the crashes. You want to be sure? Just try removing that switch. 😉

I had to install Future Shock initially by copying the contents of the cd over to c:\shock cause', for whatever reason, the game wouldn't fully install due to some sort of write protection error....as if the cd was trying to copy files back to the disc during install? No idea.. But copying the game files over to the hdd got it to install, but never thought to check install.dat afterward...

Reply 9 of 9, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Not mounting the D drive with "-t cdrom" back then may be what went wrong when installing.

It happens (too) often that users new to DOSBox don't know to use the "-t cdrom" switch and run into problems because of it. There have even been cases where people figured out how to hack a game to remove its CD-check, without even realizing it *IS* a CD-check, instead of just mounting with the "-t cdrom" switch. I'd facepalm again, but I'm training myself to not touch my face. 😉

I'm thinking about adding a warning message when a drive above C: is mounted without a "-t" switch. Maybe the user intends to mount additional HD drives, though, so just a warning.