Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 33620 of 52699, by LHN91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dave343 wrote on 2020-04-28, 15:31:
SodaSuccubus wrote on 2020-04-27, 20:02:
How has shipping and parcels arriving been for you fellow Vogoners? Mail systems are backed up to hell here in Canada due to C […]
Show full quote

How has shipping and parcels arriving been for you fellow Vogoners?
Mail systems are backed up to hell here in Canada due to Covid-19 and everyone seems to be a bit paranoid as to weather things are gonna arrive or not.

Had a bit of free coin and picked up a few 486 items, including a nice Lucky-Star 5x86 Combo. Allready bought a Cirrus Logic for my existing VLB board, but i thought i'd pickup a PCI mobo while at it.
5x86.png
I know the 'bay is probably the worst place to get good deals on 486, but sometimes one sees something cool and caves ;-;

As a fellow Canadian I feel your pain dealing with Canada Post... took over 1 month to received my ATX to AT adapter that was shipped USPS Priority from New Orleans to Toronto. USPS was super fast, took less than a week to move from New Orleans to Canada with lots of updates. Once it hit Canada Post, no updates, and took weeks.
Anyways, curious where did you order the 486/PCI board and CPU combo from on eBay? Most of those I find on eBay are either in Eastern Europe, Ukraine etc... and I’m worried about ordering anything from there, mind you the prices are pretty good, but also there seems to be many Quebec sellers on eBay selling 486 boards but for over $200 Cnd!

Don't know how good they are yet (I haven't ordered anything as of yet) but this place in Hamilton seems to exist: http://www.legacycomputersnparts.com/catalog/

Reply 33621 of 52699, by Daniël Oosterhuis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Forgot to post about this little system I got last week. Truth be told, I bought it mainly for the case, and most of this system will likely be re-built into different systems (with this case likely housing a 486 if repairs on my LS-486E go well), but it's a nice set of hardware regardless. Using the seller's pictures here, so the minor error in the card specs aren't mine!

wApPKfq.jpg?1
DoWtcrH.jpg?1
HVtwdEv.jpg

It's a Pentium 120 Socket 7 system, with I believe 64MB of RAM, on a FIC PA-2002 board. It has a Matrox Millenium P650 64MB PCI video card, a modem card, Seagate Medalist HDD, 3.5" floppy drive, Hitachi CDR-7730 CD-ROM drive, and for some reason a Goldstar Prime 2C (the same model I got another one of, that I posted about in here last week). No idea why, this board doesn't need it at all, but it'll make a nice spare, so I don't mind having it. Finally, there's the sound card, which is what I believe to be the Miss Melody, an ES688F based sound card with real OPL3. Well, in this case those LS-2x2 clone chips, but real FM synthesis nonetheless. It might go into my hopefully future 386DX40 build, as I think its features, compatibility and real FM synth lends itself well in such a system.

I really like this case, and its three digit display will make nicely for the Am486DX4-100, if and when I get the LS-486E board fixed, and see if I can figure out the display jumpers 😉

sUd4xjs.gif

Reply 33624 of 52699, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Daniël Oosterhuis wrote on 2020-04-28, 17:13:
Forgot to post about this little system I got last week. Truth be told, I bought it mainly for the case, and most of this system […]
Show full quote

Forgot to post about this little system I got last week. Truth be told, I bought it mainly for the case, and most of this system will likely be re-built into different systems (with this case likely housing a 486 if repairs on my LS-486E go well), but it's a nice set of hardware regardless. Using the seller's pictures here, so the minor error in the card specs aren't mine!

wApPKfq.jpg?1
DoWtcrH.jpg?1
HVtwdEv.jpg

It's a Pentium 120 Socket 7 system, with I believe 64MB of RAM, on a FIC PA-2002 board. It has a Matrox Millenium P650 64MB PCI video card, a modem card, Seagate Medalist HDD, 3.5" floppy drive, Hitachi CDR-7730 CD-ROM drive, and for some reason a Goldstar Prime 2C (the same model I got another one of, that I posted about in here last week). No idea why, this board doesn't need it at all, but it'll make a nice spare, so I don't mind having it. Finally, there's the sound card, which is what I believe to be the Miss Melody, an ES688F based sound card with real OPL3. Well, in this case those LS-2x2 clone chips, but real FM synthesis nonetheless. It might go into my hopefully future 386DX40 build, as I think its features, compatibility and real FM synth lends itself well in such a system.

I really like this case, and its three digit display will make nicely for the Am486DX4-100, if and when I get the LS-486E board fixed, and see if I can figure out the display jumpers 😉

Don't get rid of the case badge, I've been wanting one of those myself also. I think the seller also is a retro computer fan!

1982 to 2001

Reply 33625 of 52699, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Forgot to post about this little system I got last week. Truth be told, I bought it mainly for the case, and most of this system […]
Show full quote

wApPKfq.jpg?1
DoWtcrH.jpg?1
HVtwdEv.jpg

Matrox never made the Millenium or Millenium 2 with 64 mb of RAM. The Matrox P650 is a Parhelia GPU intended to compete with Geforce 4x00 GPUs. If it is, in fact, a Parhelia then you've got a nice little unicorn.
https://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/l … ries/p650lppci/

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 33626 of 52699, by nhattu1986

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

got this dual slot 1 board from oversea proxy service, the capacitor look okay but the brand (D.S) sound fishy for me so i will recap it in the future.
seller say this is not tested, board is a little damaged in transit but it work just fine

IMG_5398_result.JPG
Filename
IMG_5398_result.JPG
File size
318.81 KiB
Views
File comment
tekram P6B40D-A5
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_5402_result.JPG
Filename
IMG_5402_result.JPG
File size
150.01 KiB
Views
File comment
tekram P6B40D-A5 bios
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_5399_crop.jpg
Filename
IMG_5399_crop.jpg
File size
37.66 KiB
Views
File comment
shipping damage
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 33627 of 52699, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
nhattu1986 wrote on 2020-04-28, 18:52:

got this dual slot 1 board from oversea proxy service, the capacitor look okay but the brand (D.S) sound fishy for me so i will recap it in the future.
seller say this is not tested, board is a little damaged in transit but it work just fine

Nice 😀

According to Wims Bios site, it's a Tekram board

https://web.archive.org/web/20000622091149/ht … oduct=P6B40D-A5

Last edited by PC Hoarder Patrol on 2020-04-28, 19:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 33628 of 52699, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gdjacobs wrote on 2020-04-28, 18:42:
Show full quote

wApPKfq.jpg?1
DoWtcrH.jpg?1
HVtwdEv.jpg

Matrox never made the Millenium or Millenium 2 with 64 mb of RAM. The Matrox P650 is a Parhelia GPU intended to compete with Geforce 4x00 GPUs. If it is, in fact, a Parhelia then you've got a nice little unicorn.

The P650 and P750 were branded Millenium - They are Parhelia based but with only a 128-bit instead of a 256-bit memory bus:
https://icrontic.com/article/matrox_millenniu … deo_card_review

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 33629 of 52699, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

While surfing ebay the other day, I stumbled across this rarity: Tandy Deluxe Mouse for the 1000-series (and presumably Color Computer).
I've been trying to figure out a way to kludge together an analog joystick adapter to serve as a mouse connected to my 1000HX's joystick port(s), and then this just appeared on ebay. Wasn't really any more expensive than PC mice, either.

Haven't had a chance to try it out yet, hope to do so tomorrow (I've got Lemmings on 3.5" to play with), once I get the needed driver files installed. Then I'll get Personal Deskmate 2 installed so I can play with it. It's a cute lil thing...

Tandy_1000HX_Mouse.jpg
Filename
Tandy_1000HX_Mouse.jpg
File size
81.82 KiB
Views
File comment
Tandy Deluxe Mouse
File license
Public domain

Reply 33630 of 52699, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I finally got the chance to acquire a system that comes very close to two of my childhood systems.
It's a Vision Line DT 5/120 by dutch manufacturer Tulip. First PC we had in our home was an Impression Compact with a 486 DX2-66 in a very similar case. Some time later I got a Vision Line DT 5/200 that got decommissioned at my dads work. It must have been one generation newer than the DT that I'm going to get now, because it had a P200 MMX and a different front bezel. Great thing about these machines is that they have VGA, Ethernet and USB on-board and still have three free expansion slots.

I have been looking for one of these machines for a very long time and have finally found one. It was listed as "pick up only", but I could convince the seller to ship it - now I just hope it survives shipping. Price was 30€ + shipping, very cheap given the amount of nostalgia attached to it 😄

Here are some photos that the seller took for me - needs a thorough cleaning and a good scrub with baking soda but otherwise it seems in good condition, apart from some yellowing on the top and a missing hard drive. Let's hope it works. It gets shipped tomorrow and should arrive at my doorstep within a few days.

tulip2.jpg
Filename
tulip2.jpg
File size
120.73 KiB
Views
File comment
Tulip Visionline DT 5/120 Front
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
tulip4.jpg
Filename
tulip4.jpg
File size
170.43 KiB
Views
File comment
Tulip Visionline DT 5/120 Back
File license

Some other goodies I received within the last few days:

• M-Audio Delta 24/96 "audiophile" audio interface card
  • Terratec DMX 6fire 24/96 complete with front panel
  • Fujitsu-branded Freecom Traveller 24x CD-ROM with PCMCIA connector
  • A total of four Diamond Monster 3D II Voodoo 2 12MB cards for various builds, three of them working, one not (yet)
  • Two P3 coppermine 1000 MHz CPUs, one 100 MHz FSB variant and one 133 MHz
  • A GTX 285 and some RAM for my late 2008 / early 2009 build

My retro computers

Reply 33631 of 52699, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
boxpressed wrote on 2020-04-26, 23:16:

I bought this NOS ASUS MediaBus VGA/Audio card without even owning a MediaBus motherboard. It's just so strange that I had to have it for my collection: S3 Vision868 and Creative Vibra16 (and OPL3) on the same card. Maybe one day I'll build a system around it.

IMG_9347.jpg

I have this card and the motherboard that fits it, but I somehow cannot find a mediabus 2.0 card with sound+vga for one of my mediabus 2.0 motherboards.. and that is kinda frustrating.

Reply 33632 of 52699, by gatorrea

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Today I got these pci cards

cirrus logic_s3 vision.jpg
Filename
cirrus logic_s3 vision.jpg
File size
375.73 KiB
Views
File license

Fist s3 vision in my collection

and agp cards

rivatnt_diamond_6600gt.jpg
Filename
rivatnt_diamond_6600gt.jpg
File size
400.96 KiB
Views
File license

The 6600 gt has bulged caps

... that, my liege is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped.

Reply 33633 of 52699, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got a nice little IBM Thinkpad T41p in great condition for free:

IMG_20200428_214438.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200428_214438.jpg
File size
1007.68 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Also came with the docking station and an official IBM adapter to use a 2.5" HDD in the optical drive bay:

14.35_06.jpg
Filename
14.35_06.jpg
File size
961.95 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
11.79_01.jpg
Filename
11.79_01.jpg
File size
664.02 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 33634 of 52699, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gex85 wrote on 2020-04-28, 19:39:
I finally got the chance to acquire a system that comes very close to two of my childhood systems. It's a Vision Line DT 5/120 b […]
Show full quote

I finally got the chance to acquire a system that comes very close to two of my childhood systems.
It's a Vision Line DT 5/120 by dutch manufacturer Tulip. First PC we had in our home was an Impression Compact with a 486 DX2-66 in a very similar case. Some time later I got a Vision Line DT 5/200 that got decommissioned at my dads work. It must have been one generation newer than the DT that I'm going to get now, because it had a P200 MMX and a different front bezel. Great thing about these machines is that they have VGA, Ethernet and USB on-board and still have three free expansion slots.

I have been looking for one of these machines for a very long time and have finally found one. It was listed as "pick up only", but I could convince the seller to ship it - now I just hope it survives shipping. Price was 30€ + shipping, very cheap given the amount of nostalgia attached to it 😄

Here are some photos that the seller took for me - needs a thorough cleaning and a good scrub with baking soda but otherwise it seems in good condition, apart from some yellowing on the top and a missing hard drive. Let's hope it works. It gets shipped tomorrow and should arrive at my doorstep within a few days.

tulip2.jpg
tulip4.jpg

Some other goodies I received within the last few days:

• M-Audio Delta 24/96 "audiophile" audio interface card
  • Terratec DMX 6fire 24/96 complete with front panel
  • Fujitsu-branded Freecom Traveller 24x CD-ROM with PCMCIA connector
  • A total of four Diamond Monster 3D II Voodoo 2 12MB cards for various builds, three of them working, one not (yet)
  • Two P3 coppermine 1000 MHz CPUs, one 100 MHz FSB variant and one 133 MHz
  • A GTX 285 and some RAM for my late 2008 / early 2009 build

Uhhh... A meat-machine.... No seriously, we had a slaughterhouse here in Denmark, that was named Tulip. 😳
You know... Tulip bacon, Tulip spam and so on. Else. I love that machine you got. Good catch.

EDIT:
Just to demonstrate..... Whenever I see such a machine I get hungry. (Wonder why?)

5707196192957-1.jpg

Last edited by brostenen on 2020-04-28, 21:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 33635 of 52699, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bought my self two MOS 6526 CIA chips.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 33636 of 52699, by 2Mourty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Very nice devius I love old thinkpads. My wife wishes I didn't have so many. Did the t41p every have an ips display option or did that start with the t42?

Reply 33637 of 52699, by babtras

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

"New" 486 arrived for my birthday yesterday. Epson ActionNote 650 (Epson branded Compal TS30A). Cyrix 486DX2-50.
It fills the vacant slot in my wishlist for a 486 and is up and running with the least amount of effort of any retro PCs I've done lately.
4UtAXWC.jpg

Reply 33638 of 52699, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dave343 wrote on 2020-04-28, 15:31:
SodaSuccubus wrote on 2020-04-27, 20:02:
How has shipping and parcels arriving been for you fellow Vogoners? Mail systems are backed up to hell here in Canada due to C […]
Show full quote

How has shipping and parcels arriving been for you fellow Vogoners?
Mail systems are backed up to hell here in Canada due to Covid-19 and everyone seems to be a bit paranoid as to weather things are gonna arrive or not.

Had a bit of free coin and picked up a few 486 items, including a nice Lucky-Star 5x86 Combo. Allready bought a Cirrus Logic for my existing VLB board, but i thought i'd pickup a PCI mobo while at it.
5x86.png
I know the 'bay is probably the worst place to get good deals on 486, but sometimes one sees something cool and caves ;-;

As a fellow Canadian I feel your pain dealing with Canada Post... took over 1 month to received my ATX to AT adapter that was shipped USPS Priority from New Orleans to Toronto. USPS was super fast, took less than a week to move from New Orleans to Canada with lots of updates. Once it hit Canada Post, no updates, and took weeks.
Anyways, curious where did you order the 486/PCI board and CPU combo from on eBay? Most of those I find on eBay are either in Eastern Europe, Ukraine etc... and I’m worried about ordering anything from there, mind you the prices are pretty good, but also there seems to be many Quebec sellers on eBay selling 486 boards but for over $200 Cnd!

Ja, I got mine from a seller in the Ukraine. Same guy has a few more 486/pci bundles up as of this writing. They tend to go fast, and oddly iv found more motherboards coming out of europe then i have north america

Iv gotten a motherboard and a few smaller pieces here and there from eastern europe before, never had any issues other then postage taking forever.

Reply 33639 of 52699, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-04-28, 19:12:
gdjacobs wrote on 2020-04-28, 18:42:
Show full quote

wApPKfq.jpg?1
DoWtcrH.jpg?1
HVtwdEv.jpg

The P650 and P750 were branded Millenium - They are Parhelia based but with only a 128-bit instead of a 256-bit memory bus:
https://icrontic.com/article/matrox_millenniu … deo_card_review

I am quoting myself.. mwahahaha.

After looking these up, I found an AGP Matrox Parhelia 256MB by a different name for a really good price compared to what they normally go for. Only thing I am not 100% sure of is if the clock speed will be the same.
Seller's sad pic after I cropped it:

256MBParhelia.jpg
Filename
256MBParhelia.jpg
File size
185.14 KiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

Fun thing about the Parhelia based cards is that you can get them in:
PCI
PCI-X
AGP
PCIe (I think)

Would a Parhelia PCI-X card be the fastest PCI-X video card available?

Last edited by cyclone3d on 2020-04-29, 06:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK