Common searches

Bilinearly interpolating blood

Topic actions

First post, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've got it. Been trying to get Glidos to support Blood better by stitching all the little triangles together to reform the large triangles that blood's software renderer is working on. This turned out to be a real swine of a job, but at last its working. It allows the textures to be smoothed in both directions.

Here's a new Glidos.exe with the changes. The difference doesn't notice all the time, only when you get close to a wall or look at the sky, but I think its a fair improvement (perhaps not quite worth the effort). I've been using OpenGLide v007b4, otherwise the cobwebs dissappear. Must have been a bug that crept into v007b5 that we didn't notice.

Attachments

• Filename
    glidos.zip
    File size
    169.46 KiB
    Downloads
    332 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 28, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeh, its probably at a stage where its worth doing that. There's still probelms though: I find I can't always start it from the GLidos button under XP, and then the mouse doesn't work. And the installation instructions are going to be a nightmare.

Reply 3 of 28, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Glidos wrote:

I find I can't always start it from the GLidos button under XP, and then the mouse doesn't work. And the installation instructions are going to be a nightmare.

strange, the glidos button always works for me, and I'm not sure what u should do about the mouse because it doesnt work on the regular version of blood either.

Reply 4 of 28, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just downloaded openglide v0.008a2 and it fixed the framerate problem I was having, grand theft auto works fine aswell and theres no rectangles looming and disappearing everywere.

I reckon the new version should have v0.008a2 included

Last edited by Duffman on 2002-12-06, 12:04. Edited 1 time in total.

MB: ASRock B550 Steel Legend
CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X
RAM: Corsair 64GB Kit (4x16GB) DDR4 Veng LPX C18 4000MHz
SSDs: 2x Crucial MX500 1TB SATA + 1x Samsung 980 (non-pro) 1TB NVMe SSD
OSs: Win 11 Pro (NVMe) + WinXP Pro SP3 (SATA)
GPU: RTX2070 (11) GT730 (XP)

Reply 5 of 28, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Duffman wrote:

I just downloaded openglide v0.008a2 and it fixed the framerate problem I was having

In Blood presumably? That's good news.

grand theft auto works fine aswell and theres no rectangles looming and disappearing everywere.

Do you mean little black outlines?

I reckon the new version should have v0.008a2 included

008a2 also introduces a few problems, so it depends on whether we can fix those... actually only two problems, and I know how to fix one of them.

Do you have cobwebs in Blood?

Would you mind going back to 007b4 as an experiment and check that the frame rate problem comes back. Use just the Glide2x.dll file, not the .ini file

Reply 6 of 28, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Duffman wrote:

now u can update the website with a new version! (I am getting tired of telling blood fans were to get glidos!) but not right away though

Hrmm. As hard as Paul has worked on this, I still prefer running Blood in it's normal mode at 1024x768. The 3dfx version enhancement is pretty minimal and the work involved is a bit much.

Also, there's still the standard NT issues to overcome.

Reply 7 of 28, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Hrmm. As hard as Paul has worked on this, I still prefer running Blood in it's normal mode at 1024x768. The 3dfx version enhancement is pretty minimal and the work involved is a bit much.

But hopefully working on it has worked out some issues in GliDOS or OpenGlide. It's still an important contribution.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 8 of 28, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Stiletto But hopefully working on it has worked out some issues in GliDOS or OpenGlide. It's still an important contribution.

True, and I appreciate Paul's efforts. It's just that he's putting all this effort into a version that some people (including myself, probably) won't play .

The replacement of Voxel objects with sprites has already got on my nerves (gravestones "rotating" to face me at all times, etc...)

Reply 9 of 28, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Yeh, a lot of the time you are viewing the textures from far enough away that the bilinear interpolation doesn't give you much. I think it doesn't show that much improvement because the textures are actually very detailed (except the sky). The colours are crap, but then that isn't somthing that the Glide version improves.

I am finding it runs very smoothly now that there are only a few triangles to plot, rather than the hundred that were being plotted.

Its amazing the things I had to do to patch the triangles together. Just recognising the groups wasn't too bad, but then all the textures bent into W shapes if you weren't looking straight at them because the perspective was wrong, so I had to reconstruct the oow coordinate by analysing the s and t values at various points in the textures. After that it looked fairly good but some of the triangles weren't actually plotted as triangles because of clipping, so I had to spot where the edges changed direction and split them. That just left a problem with the textures rippling because the s and t coordinates are almost always wrong although exactly right on average, so I had to use linear regression to calculate an amount to nudge the textures slightly. The triangles also have to be extended one pixel so that
they butt up to the next one, and the textures coordinates have to be similarly altered. It was a surprise how anything that wasn't calculated exactly really noticed; made it look like the walls weren't solid because they flap around a bit.

Pity it doesn't make more difference. 😀

Reply 10 of 28, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here's one more version. The stiching together of the triangles was working well for the walls but not so good for the floors and ceilings. Now that's fixed.

Just compared Glidos with software mode at 1024x768. I think it looks better, but not enough to make a difference to the feel of the game. I think the reason is that Blood uses textures that are fairly high resolution but low quality.

I'm thinking of putting a feature into Glidos that enables you to redefine the textures of a game. I think that could make a big difference.

Anyway here's probably the last update for the sake of Blood.

Attachments

• Filename
    glidos.zip
    File size
    169.46 KiB
    Downloads
    302 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 11 of 28, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just compared v007b4, v007b5 and v008a2, the cobweb thing only happens on v007b5, v007b4 has slightly less framerate but not significenty enough to be unplayable.

Paul can u compare sources of the old v007 and v007b4, v007 doesnt look like its windowed with the white lines at the end of the screen

Reply 12 of 28, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Glidos wrote:

made it look like the walls weren't solid because they flap around a bit.

I don't know whether it's related to the problem you described or not, but I've noticed a very similar effect in TR. Though it's very slight and not really disturbing.

Reply 14 of 28, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Duffman wrote:

I just compared v007b4, v007b5 and v008a2, the cobweb thing only happens on v007b5, v007b4 has slightly less framerate but not significenty enough to be unplayable.

Useful thanks

Paul can u compare sources of the old v007 and v007b4, v007 doesnt look like its windowed with the white lines at the end of the screen

I wondered about the white lines. This info could be very useful. I'm probably going to have a rest from Blood for a while, but knowing that v007 doesn't have the problem will be just what I need when I go back to it.

Reply 15 of 28, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kaminari wrote:

I don't know whether it's related to the problem you described or not, but I've noticed a very similar effect in TR. Though it's very slight and not really disturbing.

Different reason, and a much smaller effect than was in Blood before I corrected the texture coords.

In TR the slight shimmering is because TR is generating the triangle apexes only to the accuracy necessary for 640x480. If you run Glidos at 1280x1024 then triangle apexes will only be on points with even coords. The PS1 version of TR is targetted at 320x240, so this effect is far worse if you use the PS1 version via ePSXe.

Reply 17 of 28, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

every few minutes sprites (like life leech alt-fire) go into the floor for a few seconds, its annoying but I dont think its worth fixing and it might just be my graphics card

Dont bother fixing this you have worked hard enough on blood already

Last edited by Duffman on 2002-12-08, 03:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 18 of 28, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

anyone else have this problem?

MB: ASRock B550 Steel Legend
CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X
RAM: Corsair 64GB Kit (4x16GB) DDR4 Veng LPX C18 4000MHz
SSDs: 2x Crucial MX500 1TB SATA + 1x Samsung 980 (non-pro) 1TB NVMe SSD
OSs: Win 11 Pro (NVMe) + WinXP Pro SP3 (SATA)
GPU: RTX2070 (11) GT730 (XP)

Reply 19 of 28, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Glidos wrote:

In TR the slight shimmering is because TR is generating the triangle apexes only to the accuracy necessary for 640x480. If you run Glidos at 1280x1024 then triangle apexes will only be on points with even coords. The PS1 version of TR is targetted at 320x240, so this effect is far worse if you use the PS1 version via ePSXe.

Thanks Paul. Now that makes sense 😀