Reply 1500 of 1968, by lilkuz2005

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rcblanke wrote on 2020-04-27, 17:16:
If you start DOSBox manually, what exact commands do you use to: […]
Show full quote
lilkuz2005 wrote on 2020-04-27, 16:13:

okay so after unticking the exit afterwards option i was able to read the error message "directoryname is longer than 8 characters and/or contains spaces." so im not sure why i can boot dosbox and then using the command line cd into the dir and then run the setup and then run the game, but if i setup the game through the frontend and try to run it im getting this error ?

If you start DOSBox manually, what exact commands do you use to:

• mount the drive
  • cd into the game folder?

DOS does not support file and directory names longer than 8 characters, and they can not have spaces. Therefore, it's best to comply to these restrictions for dos games (basically everything in your DBGL dosroot folder).

Having said this, you can reliably use directories with spaces or long names if you mount these directly, like in the attached screenshot.

By the way, if you enter a main executable in DBGL without any mounts, DBGL will automatically suggest to add a mount for the directory in which the main executable resides. This will usually work fine, but some games require the relative game path to be very specific. In such a case, you will need to stick to the 8.3 DOS naming scheme.

i was using DBGL to launch a pre configured template that was auto mounting the games folder as C: so as soon as the template would boot i could run the dir /w or dir /p to see all the directories in my games folder, then i would cd into the directory like cd doom~1. then i could run the game from there. the reason i haven't renamed my game directories is i have many games that are named similar like the duke nukem series, they show up in dos as dukenu~1 or dukenu~2 and so on, any chance you could take a screen shot of your games directory to give me an idea on how to rename mine to be able to find the game i want to add without having to make a list and rename all my games with numbered directories?

asus p3b-f, intel pIII 1000/133/256 thermaltake golden orb, 2x crucial 256mb pc133, nvidia geforce 3, aureal vortex 2, IDE to SD adapter samsung 128gb evo
asus p3v4x, intel pIII 650/100/256, 256mb pc133, 3dfx voodoo 3 3ooo, awe64 value!, 80gb hdd

Reply 1501 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not really sure how a screenshot of my dosroot folder helps you, but you find it attached.

Anyway, as I can see it, you have a couple of options:

• Rename the non-compliant folder names to the 8.3 name format, such as DUKE1, DUKE2, DUKE3D etc. and adjust your DBGL profiles accordingly (update 'Main', keep your existing mount(s));
  • Or adjust your DBGL profiles with games in non-compliant folders so that you mount a 'C' drive directly on the directory with the game's executable, like I showed in my previous comment

Attachments

• dosbox.png
    Filename
    dosbox.png
    File size
    16.62 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1502 of 1968, by lilkuz2005

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rcblanke wrote on 2020-04-27, 20:08:
Not really sure how a screenshot of my dosroot folder helps you, but you find it attached. […]
Show full quote

Not really sure how a screenshot of my dosroot folder helps you, but you find it attached.

Anyway, as I can see it, you have a couple of options:

• Rename the non-compliant folder names to the 8.3 name format, such as DUKE1, DUKE2, DUKE3D etc. and adjust your DBGL profiles accordingly (update 'Main', keep your existing mount(s));
  • Or adjust your DBGL profiles with games in non-compliant folders so that you mount a 'C' drive directly on the directory with the game's executable, like I showed in my previous comment

i want to thank you for taking the time to help me get this lined out, i wanted to see your games list to see if you had any games with similar names and how you named them, now i used your suggestion on mounting the games folder when adding my game profile, this fixed the issue and i feel kinda stupid for not exploring all the program had to offer before asking for help, this has saved me lots of work because i was going to rename all my games and i really didn't want to take the time to do that, anyways this program is working really well for me, i have a few templates setup for various performance needs, i have been adding games for the past few hours and testing, im pretty happy with this setup, thanks for making this happen

asus p3b-f, intel pIII 1000/133/256 thermaltake golden orb, 2x crucial 256mb pc133, nvidia geforce 3, aureal vortex 2, IDE to SD adapter samsung 128gb evo
asus p3v4x, intel pIII 650/100/256, 256mb pc133, 3dfx voodoo 3 3ooo, awe64 value!, 80gb hdd

Reply 1504 of 1968, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After upgrading to the beta6 jar, I am getting a ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.commons.lang3.StringUtils

Launching DBGL using 64-Bit VM 11.0.6 on Linux v5.6.6-200.fc31.x86_64amd64, HSQL Database Engine 1.8.1.3, SWT v4928gtk
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/commons/lang3/StringUtils
at org.dbgl.service.FileLocationService.<clinit>(FileLocationService.java:65)
at org.dbgl.model.FileLocation.<init>(FileLocation.java:41)
at org.dbgl.service.SettingsService.<init>(SettingsService.java:46)
at org.dbgl.service.SettingsService.<init>(SettingsService.java:30)
at org.dbgl.service.SettingsService$SettingsServiceHolder.<clinit>(SettingsService.java:58)
at org.dbgl.service.SettingsService.getInstance(SettingsService.java:62)
at org.dbgl.service.TextService$TextServiceHolder.<clinit>(TextService.java:30)
at org.dbgl.service.TextService.getInstance(TextService.java:35)
at org.dbgl.gui.abstractdialog.BaseDialog.<init>(BaseDialog.java:87)
at org.dbgl.gui.abstractdialog.SizeControlledDialog.<init>(SizeControlledDialog.java:36)
at org.dbgl.gui.dialog.MainWindow.<init>(MainWindow.java:162)
at org.dbgl.gui.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:52)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.commons.lang3.StringUtils
at java.base/jdk.internal.loader.BuiltinClassLoader.loadClass(BuiltinClassLoader.java:581)
at java.base/jdk.internal.loader.ClassLoaders$AppClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoaders.java:178)
at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:521)
... 12 more

So I installed the apache-commons-lang3 package, which provides /usr/share/java/apache-commons-lang3.jar which in turn contains org/apache/commons/lang3/StringUtils.class
But the error remained the same.

So I tried setting a CLASSPATH to apache-commons-lang3.jar but also that made no difference.

Reply 1505 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi _Rob,

Sorry, I forgot to mention in my last build update post that I'd updated a few libraries; please download the full zip package and take the jars from the lib directory and replace your existing commons-lang and commons-text with the new files.

Ronald

Reply 1507 of 1968, by ANGO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ANGO wrote on 2020-04-25, 14:49:

Would it be possible to add an forward/backward arrow to the window to cycle trough the screenshots?

rcblanke wrote on 2020-04-27, 12:56:

Sure thing; while I could not build it exactly as you designed it, you can now browse through the various images using the left and right arrow keys, or the buttons below the image.

...nice! Thank you very much 😀

Reply 1508 of 1968, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The new screenshot viewer looks very big in my computer, I don't know if this is intended:

ohvg0un.png?1

Possible solutions I can think of are 1) make it resizable or 2) make it show screenshots 2x size by default

Oh, and for my Spanish translation:

Previous image --> Imagen anterior
Next image --> Imagen siguiente

Are there any new strings I should translate?

Reply 1509 of 1968, by lilkuz2005

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

rcblanke, im sorry to keep bugging you, but im having a tough time getting mortal kombat 3 configured correctly. i have the game setup and running with soundblaster sound, and i have mounted the .cue image file in the mounting options, but when i run the game i cant get cd audio tracks to work, is there something im doing wrong ?

Reply 1510 of 1968, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lilkuz2005 wrote on 2020-05-01, 03:05:

rcblanke, im sorry to keep bugging you, but im having a tough time getting mortal kombat 3 configured correctly. i have the game setup and running with soundblaster sound, and i have mounted the .cue image file in the mounting options, but when i run the game i cant get cd audio tracks to work, is there something im doing wrong ?

Not likely to be a DBGL problem.

Either your using a DOSBox without support for cd audio tracks, or something is wrong with your cd dump. What does the .cue file look like? Are the audio tracks in a .bin style, or have they been converted to wav/mp3/flac?
Are you using vanilla DOSBox, or a fork? DOSBox ECE has decent support for cd audio in my experience.

Reply 1511 of 1968, by lilkuz2005

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
_Rob wrote on 2020-05-01, 09:26:
Not likely to be a DBGL problem. […]
Show full quote
lilkuz2005 wrote on 2020-05-01, 03:05:

Not likely to be a DBGL problem.

Either your using a DOSBox without support for cd audio tracks, or something is wrong with your cd dump. What does the .cue file look like? Are the audio tracks in a .bin style, or have they been converted to wav/mp3/flac?
Are you using vanilla DOSBox, or a fork? DOSBox ECE has decent support for cd audio in my experience.

yeah my disk image is .bin .cue, there are a bunch of .bin files, i have the disk in my disk drive and the music tracks play just like a music cd, im not sure how to load it in my dbgl configuration though

Reply 1512 of 1968, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The CUE file is just a small text file, can you show the contents?

You should mount it just like you mount a iso.
imgmount d file.cue -t iso

There is literally nothing more to it.

Reply 1513 of 1968, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lilkuz2005 wrote on 2020-05-01, 10:06:

yeah my disk image is .bin .cue, there are a bunch of .bin files, i have the disk in my disk drive and the music tracks play just like a music cd, im not sure how to load it in my dbgl configuration though

I don't think DOSBox supports that kind of image. If you use a CD mounting program such as Daemon Tools or Alcohol 52%, you can than mount it and use AnyToISO to make a "proper" CUE+BIN image. All these programs have free / trial versions.

Reply 1514 of 1968, by lilkuz2005

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Neville wrote on 2020-05-01, 13:43:
lilkuz2005 wrote on 2020-05-01, 10:06:

I don't think DOSBox supports that kind of image. If you use a CD mounting program such as Daemon Tools or Alcohol 52%, you can than mount it and use AnyToISO to make a "proper" CUE+BIN image. All these programs have free / trial versions.

That did the trick, i loaded my cd-rom into the drive and used anytoiso to create a .bin .cue to the desktop, mounted the image in DBGL then installed from cd, the game works with cd music now, i then replaced my current directory with the install files from the install and setup the mount points accordingly and its working . im not sure what program i used to make that backup but using my original cd i was able to make a working rip with anytoiso, thanks for the tip

Reply 1515 of 1968, by Spidrax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow, what a fantastic frontened! I managed to get some of my favorite old games set up and running with ease.

One thing I can't figure out though - how do I fetch artwork? I was able to scrape text data from MobyGames, but can't figure out how to get cover art and screenshots.

I'm running v0.91 on Windows 10.

Reply 1516 of 1968, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Spidrax wrote on 2020-05-02, 14:18:

Wow, what a fantastic frontened! I managed to get some of my favorite old games set up and running with ease.

One thing I can't figure out though - how do I fetch artwork? I was able to scrape text data from MobyGames, but can't figure out how to get cover art and screenshots.

I'm running v0.91 on Windows 10.

When your adding/editing an entry, click on the button to the right of the title field.

Reply 1518 of 1968, by ANGO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Neville wrote on 2020-04-30, 17:34:
The new screenshot viewer looks very big in my computer, I don't know if this is intended: […]
Show full quote

The new screenshot viewer looks very big in my computer, I don't know if this is intended:

ohvg0un.png?1

Possible solutions I can think of are 1) make it resizable or 2) make it show screenshots 2x size by default

Oh, and for my Spanish translation:

Previous image --> Imagen anterior
Next image --> Imagen siguiente

Are there any new strings I should translate?

...yeah, max 2x would be enough

Reply 1519 of 1968, by Epsilon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having some strange issues with DBGL on Linux, using java 8 (openjdk). First of all, I upgraded from, I think 0.84, or 85 to 0.91. But DBGL cannot find any of the data now. It looks for a path that looks like /profiles\profilename and /captures\capturename, instead of /profiles/profilename and /captures/capturename. So none of the profiles work and none of the pictures or screenshots get loaded.
I figured maybe something went wrong so I made a brand new instance to compare. I installed just one game, I tried fetching screenshots and boxart from mobygames, but they don't download properly; pictures become all garbled ie almost completely indistinguishable from the original. But atleast I could setup a game and launch it and it would find the correct path, similarly the correct path to downloaded data from mobygames, eventhough it was completely broken.
Then I tried DBGL 0.91 on Windows 10 VM with the same openjdk version, first of all it loaded all the profiles and captures properly, then I tried fetching screenshots and that too worked as intended. I tried migrating all the profiles on this version and moving them back on Linux, but nothing changed.
Do you have any idea what could be the cause of this?