VOGONS

First post, by jackmtech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found an old DEC network card in a dumpster. It is in very good condition and there isn't any corrosion. But my problem is that I can't exactly identify this board correctly. Googling the text on the ROM chip brings up some Ebay listings of the same card, but I yet have found any sort of documentation or drivers for this card.
Could anyone help? Any info is appreciated.
Pics:
DCnw7Xh.jpg?1
KW7K77t.jpg

Reply 1 of 8, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Image search suggests it's a DE202.
Here's some info, but it's a .ps file ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/alphaserver/archive/adap … /ethernet/ewrk2
It seems you should be able to use DEPCA Dos/Linux drivers and it seems like those are also built into some tools.

Reply 2 of 8, by jackmtech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Oetker wrote on 2020-05-01, 12:51:

Image search suggests it's a DE202.
Here's some info, but it's a .ps file ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/alphaserver/archive/adap … /ethernet/ewrk2
It seems you should be able to use DEPCA Dos/Linux drivers and it seems like those are also built into some tools.

Thank you so much! Are there drivers for Windows as well? I picked it up thinking that I might use it to transfer files over network to my Win95 486.

Reply 3 of 8, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I threw 2 of those in a skip recently. Along with the whole DEC pcs that went with them. But they were flood damaged. I couldnt find anything about them at the time

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 4 of 8, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looking at the documentation your dipswitch block has strange settings, in fact it states that sw1/2 both off is illegal.
See image. I'd try these settings taking care to select a free irq and address range.
Windows might have built-in drivers but you'll need to perform manual hardware detection.

Attachments

• iorange.png
    Filename
    iorange.png
    File size
    23.38 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • jumpers.png
    Filename
    jumpers.png
    File size
    18.74 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 6 of 8, by jackmtech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Oetker wrote on 2020-05-01, 13:21:

The blue thing switches between coax and twisted pair, it's on the coax setting... this is some old school shit.

It definitely is! The card is probably made in 1991.

Reply 8 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

if it is the DE202 then it was a good basic card back in the early/mid 90's
Sadly all things Digital is slowly been lost over time which is a shame as DEC was always enterprise level hardware. That's to say bit behind the times but reliable as a rock

Anyway looks to be drivers here.
http://www.helpdrivers.com/networks/Dig ... EC)/21140/