VOGONS

First post, by RetroLizard

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been doing some planning, and I'd like to condense the amount of space I would otherwise use.

So, Vogons, I am curious to know if there are any places that sell removable motherboard trays (without a case)? If so, what would those place(s) be?

My plans are to just have two cases, both with removable trays, so that I can just swap out different motherboards depending on what I feel like doing.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reply 1 of 5, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

the only motherboard trays I know of cost more than most cases... also you'd have to have a fitting case in the first place.

also swapping trays would be the least of your issues anyways since you'd have to disconnect/reconnect everything every time anyways... changing the motherboard is little extra work by then ^^

the removable tray was just a method to be able to install your motherboard easier, it saves you little work when actually swapping boards.

you could go the DIY route though and build some kind of "hot-swap" rig with everything preconnected.

Reply 3 of 5, by RetroLizard

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay, but, is it really that much effort to plug in a few cables after swapping? I mean, the trays would already have the board (and expansion cards) installed, so that's already saving some time.

Reply 4 of 5, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RetroLizard wrote on 2020-05-01, 18:07:

Okay, but, is it really that much effort to plug in a few cables after swapping? I mean, the trays would already have the board (and expansion cards) installed, so that's already saving some time.

No, you don't want to have the cards plugged on the motherboard while fitting the tray to the case. Just it before you take that route and you'll see why if it's not obvious

Reply 5 of 5, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I faced the same problem and bought a pile of damaged AOpen bigtower cases. The cases were beyond repair, but I salvaged 6 usable trays from them. Trawling classified ads for a lot of damaged old cases might be an option.